Parkway Commons Shopping Center

Neo

See this on the UP Wiki: Parkway Commons Shopping Center

Hwy 29/Pitts School Rd.

I've been watching this development go up for the last several months on my way to and from work. This isn't a particularly good development for the area considering the traffic snarles that occur already on 29 north just before Pitts School Rd. This is the first rendering and site plan I have seen since I can't seem to find where Concord hides their site plans (assuming they put them online). This is nothing more than more suburban sprawl approved by Concord. There is so much potential for this area with being just walking distance for fans who park their RV's near the speedway during races.

post-1-1170980298_thumb.jpg

post-1-1170980306_thumb.jpg

post-1-1170980298_thumb.jpg

post-1-1170980306_thumb.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to high school right next to that lot and I had always hoped they would put something there (while I was old enough to actually utilize it) but it never happened.

I was driving to my parents' house to fix my mom's computer when I noticed that this has popped up from the middle of nowhere. I agree that this is a horrible thing to be building at this area and I hope that the next phases of this project are more promoting of foot traffic although I highly doubt Concord will ever allow such a smart decision. This area of 29 is great to capitalize on speedway traffic, but I can't see streetside shops a possibility on that stretch. Not one portion of 29 is pedestrian friendly through Concord until you get to University City, and even then it is far from friendly. 29 in Concord is nothing but a people mover.

Building shops along the road in Phase II and those outparcels may help mask the problem if parking is placed behind the buildings away from the roads, but I have a distinct feeling that those parcels will turn out just like Concord Mills Blvd with a few restaurants, gas stations, and banks set back from the road behind a row or two of parking.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived