UICA

mgreven

How many times have you been to UICA?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. How many times have you been to UICA?

• Never
    • Once
    • Yearly
    • Twice a Year
    • Regularly
  2. 2. Why did you go?

• Movie
    • Exhibit
    • Special Event
    • No reason, just to check it out.
    • N/A, have never been

With the talk of UICA and "Gallery On Fulton", I just thought I'd make up this brief poll. I've only been there once, I wonder if the new location will give them a lot more visibility and change these results any.

Since I really don't know a lot about it, if some of you have ideas for me to add to the poll, feel free!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never been there, although I would like to visit when the weather clears up some.

PS (it's forcing us to choose an option from the second set even if we answer the first as "Never", perhaps a "Haven't been there" should be added, or a "Don't plan on going" added with the question reworded to "Why did you or would you visit UICA?")

Here's the website for Urban Institute for Contemporary Art, also known as UICA:

http://www.uica.org/

I stage-managed their first performance art event in the new location; an event named "Stuff" by Coco Fusco and Nao Bustamante.

I'm surprised there could be anyone who frequents this forum who hasn't attended an event at UICA, a place with both "urban" and "art" in its title.

Fun fact: die-hards still call it "Race Street Gallery."

Never been there, although I would like to visit when the weather clears up some.

PS (it's forcing us to choose an option from the second set even if we answer the first as "Never", perhaps a "Haven't been there" should be added, or a "Don't plan on going" added with the question reworded to "Why did you or would you visit UICA?")

UICA is great and is needed for the diversity it provides.

I mostly go there for the movies they show.

We have how many commercial movie theaters here in the GR metro area and they all show the same thing...the typical Hollywood blockbuster.

Going to UICA to see a movie is great because they offer an alternative to the everyday movie that one can see on over 10,000 screens.

What is there movie selection? I checked out the site and what they have playing now but would love to see some movies that are still "somewhat" mainstream but not carried in this area. Foreign films, etc. would be nice. Not to mention... the political motivations that also accompany the arts, and the accompanying movie choices, in general (no matter how noble they may be) may turn lots of potential patrons off. Exxon Mobile's role in destroying the environment and the latest Michael Moore picture interest a lot of people but are more divisive to the whole population than smaller indie films. I'm not saying not to show Moore's film but rather broaden the viewing outside of one-dimesional politically motivated films. I'm confident an audience would follow.

My wife and I go there regularly to check out exhibits as well as the movies. We also had our daughter's wedding reception there this past summer. What an incredible place to hold a reception...it was perfect. My company, Lighthouse Communities also holds our annual fundraiser there. This year's event is March 1 from 6:30-9:30. If you want to buy tickets let me know. Should be a good time to check out the UICA and support Lighthouse. Tickets are $50.

OK someone, yell at me and tell me that the last part of this post should have been on the events kiosk :whistling: .

Another source for their movie listings is Yahoo Movies. The trailers seem to be easier to access/more readily available there for some reason. The political films seem to be offered most often, but they've also had some that are just artsy.

My husband and I have been to several events at UICA, at both their current and their former very downtown digs. We've attended Holiday artists market, movies, concerts, the Sheldon location's grand opening, a Heartside artists thing, and other stuff. No matter what we go there for, we're always entertained. The holiday market is especially good.

Several of my friends are also active in the various writers' groups they offer.

I've been to sooo many events, programs, concerts, plays and movies there I've lost count. I've never thought the Sheldon space was a bad location: It's a block off Fulton and Division and right around the corner from the Cottage Bar... what's wrong with that? What are the details on this "new space" ???

I've been to sooo many events, programs, concerts, plays and movies there I've lost count. I've never thought the Sheldon space was a bad location: It's a block off Fulton and Division and right around the corner from the Cottage Bar... what's wrong with that? What are the details on this "new space" ???

Archived