The Promenade At Chenal

I know what you're saying but I would argue that this either applies to the whole development or it doesn't. If all of these other tenants are really willing to hop on this, I don't think location will be an issue for other A-list tenants. I sure wouldn't have thought that area was ready for that kind of development right now either.

That said, there's probably something to showing prospective clients the predominance of $400,000-$2 million homes in the area. Drive around the area and you would think there's massive disposable income but the problem is it's still a limited group of just a few thousand out there.

I don't know that a Ruth's Chris is ready to come here, but I'll say this, if the people of LR were going to support Ruth's Chris, they'd support it at Promenade as well as anywhere. Ruth's Chris is a destination all it's own in terms of a steak. I don't know that LR can support it, but if they can, I wouldn't be concerned about it being at Promenade.

I don't know that a Ruth's Chris is ready to come here, but I'll say this, if the people of LR were going to support Ruth's Chris, they'd support it at Promenade as well as anywhere. Ruth's Chris is a destination all it's own in terms of a steak. I don't know that LR can support it, but if they can, I wouldn't be concerned about it being at Promenade.

Ruth's Chris has locations in Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Mobile, Destin, Huntsville, Columbia, and Greensboro in the region. They are supposedly adding one in NWA as well. I think LR is pretty much a given to be on their expansion list and if it doesn't end up at Promenade I think we'll see it in the new cluster of restaurants planned for Hwy 10 and Taylor Loop or on Col Glenn and I-430 or another West LR site such as the vacant Tia's.

Ruth's Chris has locations in Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Mobile, Destin, Huntsville, Columbia, and Greensboro in the region. They are supposedly adding one in NWA as well. I think LR is pretty much a given to be on their expansion list and if it doesn't end up at Promenade I think we'll see it in the new cluster of restaurants planned for Hwy 10 and Taylor Loop or on Col Glenn and I-430 or another West LR site such as the vacant Tia's.

Its already public knowledge that Ruth Chris is coming...it was in the paper. An investment group in Tulsa bought the franchise rights for Tulsa, Little Rock and NWA. Ironically, they are opening the NWA location first. I'm not really sure why one would question the ability of LR to support a steak house. I think it will be tough for them to surpass Sonny Williams in quality (or cost!) quite frankly.

Its already public knowledge that Ruth Chris is coming...it was in the paper. An investment group in Tulsa bought the franchise rights for Tulsa, Little Rock and NWA. Ironically, they are opening the NWA location first. I'm not really sure why one would question the ability of LR to support a steak house. I think it will be tough for them to surpass Sonny Williams in quality (or cost!) quite frankly.

I don't think they'd beat Sonny Williams but I think they're equal. They're different enough to draw their own niche crowds and steak lovers will probably alternate between them. The different preparations of the steaks at Sonny's and the location will keep it busy.

The loser will be Riverfront Steakhouse, I'd wager. I ate there three times, the steak was pretty good all the times but the service was abysmal, just awful for that class of restaurant. There was rarely any kind of crowd, either. Restaurants in that class shouldn't have a salad bar, either, regardless of whether it's a bit nicer than the typical.

I wonder how Bakarat's new steakhouse in Chenal will do. I would bet it won't hold up, though he kind of has a knack for making things work. He can always just take that space and do something else with it.

I question it exactly because we already have Sonny Williams...which is fantastic.

But Ruth's Chris - neither better or worse, is a very nice experience and I certainly hope that the investment group you spoke of does intend to bring it to LR soon. But, as we all know, buying the rights to something doesn't mean you'll actually build it.

With retailers like White House Black Market, Coldwater Creek and Ann Taylor loft opening their second locations in Little Rock, I guess this means that Little Rock is growing in the eyes of retailers that they can open second stores in the city even though some have just came to Little Rock. I wonder how the second locations are going to effect the originals. Can Little Rock support two locations for many of these stores? I know that the Promenade will pull from WLR and Park Plaza and Midtowne will pull basically from the rest of the city, but will we see cannabalization between locations.

With two locations many of the retailer, I'm assuming, are looking at the metro as a whole and know they will pull from Benton, Bryant, Maumelle, Conway, Sherwood, Jacksonville, Cabot and maybe from as far away as Pine Bluff and Hot Springs as well.

It's good to see that Little Rock is growing as a market and that stores like DSW, J Crew, Coach and Apple are looking to expand here. Let's hope these multiple locations succeed and that more retailer and restaurants come to the market.

What is DSW?

AB News says Wild Oats (aka Whole Foods) is going to Promenade at Chenal instead of Midtowne.

I spoke with someone about a month ago who is connected to the retail scene in LR and was told that a Whole Foods is coming to LR (not a Wild Oats). I would be surprised if it is not a Whole Foods. It will be interesting to see the competition in WLR between Fresh Market and Whole Foods if they do come. Can both be supported?

I spoke with someone about a month ago who is connected to the retail scene in LR and was told that a Whole Foods is coming to LR (not a Wild Oats). I would be surprised if it is not a Whole Foods. It will be interesting to see the competition in WLR between Fresh Market and Whole Foods if they do come. Can both be supported?

I think they could but I think it would be better if one were in West LR and one in midtown. It doesn't really make sense to me to have one on Hwy 10 and another on Chenal.

They have different strengths and weaknesses. Whole Foods has damn incredible fresh fish and seafood.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Macy's would fit the development really well. FWIW, www.chenal.com still lists that tract of commercial land as for sale. That tract was initially supposed to be part of the Promenade but RED didn't purchase that triangle at the back when they closed on the Promenade land and it's still uncleared. The other issue was that RED is linked to Gateway Towne Center and so is Dillard's. Bringing in Macy's might cost RED a Dillard's at Gateway but I think that GTC won't happen for years if it happens at all.

2. Sears would be an odd fit for Chenal and I'm not sure where they would go. There is a tract of commercial land across Chenal from the new Wal-Mart but that would be kind of out there for Sears. I thought Sears would fit in well at Shackleford Crossing and I wouldn't be shocked to see them on Col Glenn. You would think they would want interstate frontage.

Maybe they will go to Shackleford Crossing since Dunlaps seems to be out of the picture now. Macy's would be a welcomed addition to the market since we are about to loose Parisians.

I agree that is seems to be an odd fit for the Promenade.

Maybe they will go to Shackleford Crossing since Dunlaps seems to be out of the picture now. Macy's would be a welcomed addition to the market since we are about to loose Parisians.

I agree that is seems to be an odd fit for the Promenade.

I hadn't heard that about Dunlap's. I wonder if they are planning on going into another development elsewhere or just abandoning LR altogether.

1. Macy's would fit the development really well. FWIW, www.chenal.com still lists that tract of commercial land as for sale. That tract was initially supposed to be part of the Promenade but RED didn't purchase that triangle at the back when they closed on the Promenade land and it's still uncleared.

The land is uncleared but it's no longer for sale, though I haven't heard anything about a transaction.

• 2 weeks later...

From Life in Chenal magazine RE: Promenade: "tenants.....included are: J. Crew, Bath & Body Works, Limited Too, American Eagle, Aeropostale, Apple, Finish Line, Hollister, Starbucks, White House/Black Market, Coach, Ann Taylor Loft, J.Jill, Coldwater Creek, Talbots, Gap, Gymboree, Carters, Chili's, Victoria's Secret, DSW, Dicks Sporting Goods, Wild Oats. ...also told a small movie theater is planned."

Anyone heard of the theater bit?

From Life in Chenal magazine RE: Promenade: "tenants.....included are: J. Crew, Bath & Body Works, Limited Too, American Eagle, Aeropostale, Apple, Finish Line, Hollister, Starbucks, White House/Black Market, Coach, Ann Taylor Loft, J.Jill, Coldwater Creek, Talbots, Gap, Gymboree, Carters, Chili's, Victoria's Secret, DSW, Dicks Sporting Goods, Wild Oats. ...also told a small movie theater is planned."

Anyone heard of the theater bit?

Great spot EJC! Nice to see what has been rumored in "print" somewhere, though this is no guarantee. The list is nearly identical to the original list I saw with Pleasant Ridge, giving credence to speculation that these tenant bolted when Promenade was resurrected. Apple would be a "marker" tenant no doubt.

By the way, where is Banana Republic! I still cannot believe they only have one location in the market.

My family has an annual reunion in Charleston, SC (specifically, Sullivan's Island, SC) - it was this past weekend.

While there, we always go and check out the sights in Charleston, Sullivan's Island and Mount Plesant. I am allways impressed with the attention paid to the landscaping, and architecture of thier new and old retail/office/residential developments, specifically the retail developments. The "lifestyle" and shopping cetners are all designed to blend in to the natural beauty of the area, as well as the architecural beauty of the historic buildings.

I always wonder why we as "the Natural State" don't pay more attention to including the natural beuaty of the area surronding Little Rock, when we build new shopping centers, etc.. I would love to see new development that incorporates more of the "natural" element of our state rather than huge paved lots with a few dogwoods planted here and there.

I highly reccomend a visit to Charleston, it's a beautiful and historic city with much to offer - great dining, shopping, outdoor activity, etc..

Here's a link to thier board: Charleston, SC Board

And a post by a recent visitor with many pictures: Charelston Pics

I wish I had taken some pictures of the retail developments that I am describing, but if anyone has ever been to Mount Pleasant, SC or even Hilton Head Island, you will know what I am talking about.

"I assume you are basing your assertions on previous developments by RED, so tell us about a few examples and describe those sites so we have a better idea. Were they urban or suburban projects?"

Quote from RED / Sparks, NV Chamber:

"RED Development's design for The Legends at Sparks Marina includes a minimum of 800,000 square feet of retail space and is estimated to cost up to $400 million. Because the project is designed to boost tourism, the recently approved STAR (Sales Tax Anticipated Revenue) bonds, a unique financing tool available for projects that have a positive impact on the region or state, will be utilized to fund the project. RED is also currently utilizing STAR bonds at the recently opened The Legends at Village West in Kansas City, Kansas, and most of their projects."

I don't know of any big developers that don't take advantage of TIF opportunities and the like. Why wouldn't they? Typically the city is excited to have them building a shopping center that will drive jobs, sales, growth and traffic. Have you noticed how much the adjacent and nearby commercial lots have gone up in price since RED cleared their land? I can promise you RED isn't the only one benefitting from their decision to enter this market! RED commonly goes into areas like Chenal - on the cusp of growth but still a little green. They end up with successful, fully occupied shopping centers that oftentimes are a regional draw. And why wouldn't they want to make money off of it - what developer honestly goes into a market with the sole purpose of being nice? It is their livelihood and making money is certainly a part of it - if the local real estate brokers and owners, other developers and home builders are going to make money by playing off of Promenade, why shouldn't they make money off of it too?

info2, I am not sure what you mean about their centers in other locations being in trouble. They just opened an 800,000 square foot hybrid center outside of Omaha that was over 95% leased upon opening and they brought the very first Crate & Barrel to the Kansas City market, which is a retail mecca...Crate and Barrel could have landed anywhere, but chose RED's more remote site for their reputation and smart site selection. Their LEGENDS center in Kansas City has been considered a prime example of a successful destination retail and entertainment center...and many of the stores there had the best opening of any of their locations in the country at Grand Opening.

All of that being said, I wouldn't be concerned about RED's ability to follow through and complete a great shopping center.

I don't know of any big developers that don't take advantage of TIF opportunities and the like. Why wouldn't they? Typically the city is excited to have them building a shopping center that will drive jobs, sales, growth and traffic. Have you noticed how much the adjacent and nearby commercial lots have gone up in price since RED cleared their land? I can promise you RED isn't the only one benefitting from their decision to enter this market! RED commonly goes into areas like Chenal - on the cusp of growth but still a little green. They end up with successful, fully occupied shopping centers that oftentimes are a regional draw. And why wouldn't they want to make money off of it - what developer honestly goes into a market with the sole purpose of being nice? It is their livelihood and making money is certainly a part of it - if the local real estate brokers and owners, other developers and home builders are going to make money by playing off of Promenade, why shouldn't they make money off of it too?

info2, I am not sure what you mean about their centers in other locations being in trouble. They just opened an 800,000 square foot hybrid center outside of Omaha that was over 95% leased upon opening and they brought the very first Crate & Barrel to the Kansas City market, which is a retail mecca...Crate and Barrel could have landed anywhere, but chose RED's more remote site for their reputation and smart site selection. Their LEGENDS center in Kansas City has been considered a prime example of a successful destination retail and entertainment center...and many of the stores there had the best opening of any of their locations in the country at Grand Opening.

All of that being said, I wouldn't be concerned about RED's ability to follow through and complete a great shopping center.

I couldn't agree more. Well said, and thanks.