The Promenade At Chenal

Hmmm just what we need.. another ATT store

My thoughts exactly!  

I was watching KTHV last night and the lead was something like "More exciting shopping destinations in the future at the Promenade."  An AT&T store is NOT a shopping destination and is not exciting.  

So what's the skinny on this Boneheads place?  Anybody been to one?  There's one opening in Bentonville soon according to their website.  I looked at the menu and couldn't really get a grip on what type of food they served.  According to the "about" section of the website, it was started in Atlanta by two chefs, one from the American South and one from South Africa.  This explained the catfish and the piri piri.  Oh, and piri piri is pronounced "pee-ree pee-ree" according to the website. 

I saw signs today that Coldwater Creek is closing. Not a good sign, and evidence - in my opinion - that this center is both too remote and too small to be successful in the long run. It needs an anchor tenant (Dillard's or Macys).

An Anchor would be nice, but Coldwater Creek is closing nationwide.  So it may not be a direct reference to the remoteness of this center.  Park Plaza location is closing as well.

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/CustServ/customer-information.aspx

An Anchor would be nice, but Coldwater Creek is closing nationwide.  So it may not be a direct reference to the remoteness of this center.  Park Plaza location is closing as well.

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/CustServ/customer-information.aspx

Oops! I completely missed that! So, you're right...that has nothing to do with the center, and that's good!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm just what we need.. another ATT store

Why are there so many AT&T stores? Who needs a dozen stores to see the same selection of phones within a 10 mile radius?

Anyway, seems like Promenade is falling the way of Park Avenue or Shackleford Crossing. Apparently it's too much to ask for a nice, upscale shopping center with unique stores in Little Rock.

Why are there so many AT&T stores? Who needs a dozen stores to see the same selection of phones within a 10 mile radius?

Anyway, seems like Promenade is falling the way of Park Avenue or Shackleford Crossing. Apparently it's too much to ask for a nice, upscale shopping center with unique stores in Little Rock.

The Promenade currently has enough unique, destination stores to keep it relevant i.e. Apple, J. Crew, the metro's only IMAX theater.  What it really needs though is a department store anchor such as the Dillard's that was originally planned but cancelled due to the 2008 recession, or something new to the market like Macy's or Von Maur.  

I think the success (or not) of an "upscale" development, and specificially this center has very little to do with the market (Little Rock), and everything to do with scale (it needs an anchor store), location (this one is remote), and duplicity of similar, medium-sized centers (Midtown, Pleasant Ridge, Park Avenue and even Shackleford Crossing).

As has been noted numerous times by many participants on this board, the market suffered when multiple, competing, mid-sized centers were developed in lieu of one, major, high-end center at a highly trafficked location.  Each have succeeded in their own way, but by default all relegated themselves to relatively insignificant developments.  I for one think it is quite regrettable.  The central Arkansas retail scene needed its own Jimmy Moses.

I think the success (or not) of an "upscale" development, and specificially this center has very little to do with the market (Little Rock), and everything to do with scale (it needs an anchor store), location (this one is remote), and duplicity of similar, medium-sized centers (Midtown, Pleasant Ridge, Park Avenue and even Shackleford Crossing).

As has been noted numerous times by many participants on this board, the market suffered when multiple, competing, mid-sized centers were developed in lieu of one, major, high-end center at a highly trafficked location.  Each have succeeded in their own way, but by default all relegated themselves to relatively insignificant developments.  I for one think it is quite regrettable.  The central Arkansas retail scene needed its own Jimmy Moses.

I would say the issue has mostly corrected itself over the past few years.  Little Rock no longer has the dearth of trendy shopping compared to its peers that it once did.  The only thing really lacking is a Macy's or Von Maur.  I still think the retail scene is in overall worse shape than it would have been had Summit Mall been built but it isn't really that bad.  To put it in perspective, OKC doesn't have much that Little Rock doesn't despite being twice the size.  There are a few big names like The Container Store, that are in Little Rock but aren't in OKC.  Put a department store anchor in the Promenade and Little Rock is no longer behind its peers in any way on the retail front.

The Promenade currently has enough unique, destination stores to keep it relevant i.e. Apple, J. Crew, the metro's only IMAX theater.  What it really needs though is a department store anchor such as the Dillard's that was originally planned but cancelled due to the 2008 recession, or something new to the market like Macy's or Von Maur.  

Dillards just gets in to keep anybody else out and then backs out.  They did this with the mall that was originally going in where Shackleford Crossings is now.  

At this point, I'd much rather see Von Maur than Macy's for this particular development. It would keep the overall tilt more upscale, though Little Rock — and Arkansas as a state — needs a presence from Macy's somewhere.

I was not familiar with Von Maur, but looking at their web site, they would be a first rate addition to Little Rock and the Promenade.

I was not familiar with Von Maur, but looking at their web site, they would be a first rate addition to Little Rock and the Promenade.

We have one in the mall nearest my house in Wichita (Dillard's is another anchor) and it seems quite nice. It reminds me a lot of Macy's with a more "traditional" upscale flair. The Dillard's in the mall is also pretty nice, as I imagine it has to be to compete somewhat, but Von Maur still felt higher end. My take: They're not Nordstrom, but it's nicer than a standard Dillard's or Macy's.

Not at all. Looks like the Promenade is still desperate for tenets. It will be interesting to see the list of tenets for the Outlets of Little Rock. I bet there will be some stores there that the Promenade wish they had.

I agree that the Promenade at Chenal is desperately looking to find any tenants that is interested in leasing the space regardless of the quality of the tenants. It's pretty disappointing for them to say an AT&T store and Home Goods an exciting destination store which is truly not. AT&T stores are located throughout Little Rock and this location in the Promenade at Chenal will be no different than the rest of the existing AT&T stores. In my opinion, I wish the current management will sell this shopping center to another national retail developer (ex: Simon, Westfield) to turn this shopping center in the right direction.

I bet Nike Store will relocate to the Outlets at Little Rock once it opens next summer.

Edited by ecity3138

I've never been to Little Rock but keep seeing these discussions on the main UrbanPlanet homepage, and so I took a look at it.  Based on the directory, it has a high proportion of locally-owned tenants, which is not good, indicating that A-list retailers aren't interested.  It looks attractive and has good Yelp reviews but has only 4 reviews.  I assume that the center just isn't getting much traffic.

It needs a department store anchor.

There were a lot of concerns when the Promenade was first built that it would fail due to being so far out on the suburban fringes of the metro area.  In hindsight, does that fear look to be realized? Developments like this have been successful in other cities such as Charlotte, but as neighborhood shopping centers rather than a destination.  If it wasn't for the few exclusive tenants the Promenade at Chenal has, my guess is it would be in trouble.

Not sure how much new residential construction is happening in that area, but for it to be a neighborhood shopping center it will need more population density surrounding it.  If it's to be a destination, it needs an anchor.

I understand the pessimism but the traffic around this center is heavy.  People are coming out and shopping and dining.  I think Tipton Hurst is a great addition.  It is the most "upscale" florist/decor store in Little Rock.  The big issue is our retail scene is too diversified by locations —Midtowne, Shackleford Crossing, Pleasant Ridge, etc...

I think this center will survive...too many homes and apartments out there for it to go under. IMHO

• 1 month later...

According to plumbing permits, Menchie's will be the fourth occupant of the outparcel under construction at the Promenade. If you're looking for something unique to the market, get this: It is frozen yogurt that you serve yourself! Then, you put the toppings on it and they charge you by the ounce! Pretty amazing stuff. If that doesn't get traffic to the mall as people pass Yogurt Mountain and Orange Leaf, I don't know what will.

• Like 1