The Promenade At Chenal

In all honesty, I think NWA will see cannibalization before Little Rock will. I am not sure NWA has the population to support the kinds of developments going in. I see Wal-Mart as a bubble that has to burst eventually. The one thing they have going for them is their population is sprawled out over a large land-area, so Rogers restaurants/retail is less likely to cannibalize Fayetteville and vice versa. Nonetheless, you are already starting to see restaurants fail in NWA.

NWA will definitely be able to support those stores. You have to realize that the average household income around the promenade is 73,000/year. That is more than any avg. salary in an area in Little Rock (maybe Chenal area has that). Most of these people are transplants from Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami, NYC, Dallas, etc. where they are used to having higher end stores to shop in. Ruths Chris just opened up and it has packed ever since it opened. I think it will do very well in Rogers. I have heard rumors that Macys and Nordstrom are possibilities in the Promenade expansion. General Growth, the developer of the Promenade in Rogers, just bought more land near the promenade to expand the mall. It is almost completely leased.

I do hope that Little Rock continues to expand its retail. There is no reason why Arkansas cannot have two major metropolitan areas, just like other states (Oklahoma, Alabama, Texas has 4). Also, Little Rock is a unique city in itself, just like NWA is too. They each have their own character. That is what I like about both of them. Little Rock is long overdue to get some major retail stores. Very surprised that Nordstrom or Macys is not there yet.

I do hope that Little Rock continues to expand its retail. There is no reason why Arkansas cannot have two major metropolitan areas, just like other states (Oklahoma, Alabama, Texas has 4). Also, Little Rock is a unique city in itself, just like NWA is too. They each have their own character. That is what I like about both of them. Little Rock is long overdue to get some major retail stores. Very surprised that Nordstrom or Macys is not there yet.

Rumor is that Macy's is looking into both NWA and Little Rock. If Macy's is not part of the Promenade (which it appears its not at this point), it would be nice if they would snatch up the M.M. Cohn's spot at McCain Mall. There are some stores and especially restaurants that there is absolutely no reason Little Rock shouldn't have. I think it would help if one of these proposed retail centers emerged as the dominant one. That might help pull in stores that want a location in the market but are on the fence about where. I am hoping this is what we eventually see with the Promenade at Chenal.

Updated list with Lids added. According to their web site, Lids has stores at Park Plaza, McCain Mall, The Pines, The Mall at Turtle Creek in Jonesboro and Pinnacle Hill Promenade.

Any one know of any other confirmed stores.

J Crew

Apple

Bebe

Victoria's Secret

Coldwater Creek

Dickinson Theater/IMAX

Chili's

Portrait Innovations

Ann Taylor Loft

Journeys

Finish Line

American Eagle

Lids

Updated tenant list from today's Democrat Gazette Article. These are confirmed or those who have requested plumbing permits from the Health Dept.

JCrew

Apple

Bebe

Victoria's Secret

Coldwater Creek

Dickinson Theater/IMAX

Chili's

Portrait Innovations

Ann Taylor Loft

Journeys shoes

Finish Line

American Eagle

Lids

Select Comfort mattresses

Kay Jewlers

Bath and Body Works

Limited Too

Edited by theman

Updated tenant list from today's Democrat Gazette Article. These are confirmed or those who have requested plumbing permits from the Health Dept.

JCrew

Apple

Bebe

Victoria's Secret

Coldwater Creek

Dickinson Theater/IMAX

Chili's

Portrait Innovations

Ann Taylor Loft

Journeys shoes

Finish Line

American Eagle

Lids

Select Comfort mattresses

Kay Jewlers

Bath and Body Works

Limited Too

I wish it was The Body Shop not Bath and Body Works, just to get something new here.

Maybe Body Shop could move into Bombay's spot in MidTowne

Urban Outfitters would be perfect.

I'd love to see a Discovery store or an Armani Exhange come to the market.

Would a Cheesecake Factory be better suited for The Promenade or Park Avenue?

Discovery store closed all their stores earlier this year. They had one in Rogers. A{sodEmoji.|}X would be nice but they like to stay in the large markets. I would say Park Avenue on Cheesecake Factory but I may be wrong. I am hoping both the Promenade and Park Avenue have a nice selection of upscale restaurants new to the market to choose from.

Edited by bchris02

NWA will definitely be able to support those stores. You have to realize that the average household income around the promenade is 73,000/year. That is more than any avg. salary in an area in Little Rock (maybe Chenal area has that). Most of these people are transplants from Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami, NYC, Dallas, etc. where they are used to having higher end stores to shop in. Ruths Chris just opened up and it has packed ever since it opened. I think it will do very well in Rogers. I have heard rumors that Macys and Nordstrom are possibilities in the Promenade expansion. General Growth, the developer of the Promenade in Rogers, just bought more land near the promenade to expand the mall. It is almost completely leased.

RemusCal - thanks for your comments. Pinnacle Hills Promenade is very, very, impressive, even when compared to larger markets such as Tulsa, Little Rock, etc...and certainly to Springfield (which I guess isn't really larger than NWA anymore). We'd be tickled to death to have that in Little Rock.

However, I think the tremendous success of the Pinnacle Hills Promenade - specifically as compared to the scenario in the Little Rock market - has much less to do with money and more to do with the fact that a major, national player came to town and developed THE center - which is the exact opposite of what's happened in LR's development scene with the resulting fragmentation after the implosion of Simon's "Summit Mall" development, which would have dwarfed Pinnacle Hills.

Reference this article from several papers a few days ago discussing this very comparison:

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Business/210426/

Discovery store closed all their stores earlier this year. They had one in Rogers. A{sodEmoji.|}X would be nice but they like to stay in the large markets. I would say Park Avenue on Cheesecake Factory but I may be wrong. I am hoping both the Promenade and Park Avenue have a nice selection of upscale restaurants new to the market to choose from.

I think Park Ave would be better for Cheesecake Factory. There's just a lot more traffic and it's a much more high-density area.

The problem is NWA is so close to Tulsa and Springfield/Branson. It's draw area isn't nearly as large as LR/NLR, which is well over a million. People in Russellville, Pine Bluff, Hot Springs, etc generally have to drive to LR to get anything past limited offerings. People outside the NWA MSA generally have something else closer.

Now, I think that Promenade at Chenal is in the most affluent area of the state, the problem is that is fairly remote. It's surrounded by $500,000+ homes in every direction but it's also surrounded by trees. Well, forests. It has limited access, it has to be at least 5 miles from the I-630/430 interchange. That makes it a different animal than Pinnacle Promenade.

Pinnacle is the regional mall for Benton Co. It has some upscale offerings like PF Chang's and Pottery Barn and some lower-tier offerings like Payless and JC Penney. In general, it has everything the market can support but it's essentially a full-service mall.

The intent with Promenade at Chenal is to be a smaller suburban shopping center geared to the affluent in a limited area with several specialty stores. The scale will be quite a bit smaller than Pinnacle and even if it grows some it'll be half the size at best of Pinnacle. The focus of LR retail will remain on the major retail centers in the metro - Midtown and McCain, and the development of other more visible centers along I-430.