Lids

Select Comfort mattresses

Kay Jewlers

Bath and Body Works

Limited Too

Talbots

White House {sodEmoji.|} Black Market

J Jill

I, too, am curious about GAP and Banana Republic...especially since (incredulously) the McCain location closed.

Updated tenant list (added J Jill per today's plumbing records):

Dick's Sporting Goods

JCrew

Apple

Bebe

Victoria's Secret

Coldwater Creek

Dickinson Theater/IMAX

Ethan Allen

Chili's

Bravo

Portrait Innovations

Ann Taylor Loft

Journeys shoes

Finish Line

American Eagle

Lids

Select Comfort mattresses

Kay Jewlers

Bath and Body Works

Limited Too

Talbots

White House {sodEmoji.|} Black Market

J Jill

I, too, am curious about GAP and Banana Republic...especially since (incredulously) the McCain location closed.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Banana Republic in the mix, since it was mentioned as an original tenant. How do you think this will effect Midtowne/Park Plaza? Is it far enough away from Midtown that it will not hurt the existing retail? Living closer to Midtown, I will continute to do my shopping at Park Plaza but I will probably go to the Promenade for the IMAX as well as Apple.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Banana Republic in the mix, since it was mentioned as an original tenant. How do you think this will effect Midtowne/Park Plaza? Is it far enough away from Midtown that it will not hurt the existing retail? Living closer to Midtown, I will continute to do my shopping at Park Plaza but I will probably go to the Promenade for the IMAX as well as Apple.

I would have to say that I'd prefer the "duplicate" locations in the metro fall across the river from each other. If Park Plaza's other competition was in NLR, ALL of the Little Rock patrons would definitely hit Park Plaza first. But since that is likely to change for several retailers, that will no longer be the case. And whatever sizable contingent from WLR that now shops at Park Plaza will have that much less of a reason. I trust the market is still large enough for two of many of these, despite the change in locales.

Of interest:

Promenade at Chenal to Park Plaza = 9.4 miles

Park Plaza to McCain Mall = 10.7 miles

Distance is about the same, but the market reaction will be completely different.

I guess it will depend on what one is shopping for. Each area will have their heavy hitters, Promenade with Apple, JCrew and the IMAX, Park Plaza/Midtowne with Dillard's, Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma. I wonder how much of a draw the Container Store will be. Big I'm thinking. Depending on what goes in Park Avenue, some of the WLR crowd will still come to Midtown to shop so I think both areas will be able to survive. The market is getting mature enough to where people don't mind shopping in multiple locations whether that be WLR, Midtown or NLR.

I guess it will depend on what one is shopping for. Each area will have their heavy hitters, Promenade with Apple, JCrew and the IMAX, Park Plaza/Midtowne with Dillard's, Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma. I wonder how much of a draw the Container Store will be. Big I'm thinking. Depending on what goes in Park Avenue, some of the WLR crowd will still come to Midtown to shop so I think both areas will be able to survive. The market is getting mature enough to where people don't mind shopping in multiple locations whether that be WLR, Midtown or NLR.

I hope you're right. Good observation about the variety in the high-end as a differentiator: Apple/JCrew/IMAX versus Pottery Barn/Williams Sonoma/Container Store/Dillards.

Of interest:

Promenade at Chenal to Park Plaza = 9.4 miles

Park Plaza to McCain Mall = 10.7 miles

Distance is about the same, but the market reaction will be completely different.

Wow, that's a surprising statistic in terms of distance, but I agree with your last statement.

It would seem that the slow decay/demise (I hope not, but the signs are ominous) of McCain will further improve Midtown's prospects as it will be the closest major retail destination for many folks on the eastern side of LR.

I'm hoping to see several restaurants, specifically new to the market variety. Has anyone heard anything regarding this? I know Chili's has been mentioned, but that seems like a wierd fit for a center that is going for the upscale angle. Also, how many restaurants do you think will be included given the small size of the development? Having multiple dining options will be the best way to increase traffic for the Promenade, imo.

I'm hoping to see several restaurants, specifically new to the market variety. Has anyone heard anything regarding this? I know Chili's has been mentioned, but that seems like a wierd fit for a center that is going for the upscale angle. Also, how many restaurants do you think will be included given the small size of the development? Having multiple dining options will be the best way to increase traffic for the Promenade, imo.

They really haven't started on the outbuildings yet, they are building the core buildings first. I would bet most of the outbuildings will be restaurants, which could explain why we're not hearing much on the restaurant front. That said, I think there are a couple competing centers that could also be the reason it's quiet.

Its a good thing in this regard that Dillard's pulled out of the Promenade.

Agreed. A very good thing.

I will restate that while in many ways I have personally regretted the development of a singular, regional development (and the "gravity" and "clarity" it would have provided to the retail scene) - the truth is that in the long run, the resulting fracture has had a significant POSITIVE impact on the relevance and viability of the mid-town retail corridor. And if I had to pick one scenario or the other, it would be the later.

BTW, is DSW new to the market? I've heard of it, but I'm not familiar with it....

Agreed. A very good thing.

I will restate that while in many ways I have personally regretted the development of a singular, regional development (and the "gravity" and "clarity" it would have provided to the retail scene) - the truth is that in the long run, the resulting fracture has had a significant POSITIVE impact on the relevance and viability of the mid-town retail corridor. And if I had to pick one scenario or the other, it would be the later.

BTW, is DSW new to the market? I've heard of it, but I'm not familiar with it....

It wasn't that long ago we were all scared crapless that both University and Park Plaza were going to be sitting vacant and the Summit Mall was going to be a giant traffic-sucking behemoth tying up I-430. We thought abandoned buildings in midtown were going to cause crime and hurt property values in the Heights and Hillcrest.

Not only did Summit not happening save Park Plaza but we also got to see a developer ride in and take over the whole area, including replacing University.

If you had told me this is what would happen 5 years ago I would've been thrilled. And I am.

It wasn't that long ago we were all scared crapless that both University and Park Plaza were going to be sitting vacant and the Summit Mall was going to be a giant traffic-sucking behemoth tying up I-430. We thought abandoned buildings in midtown were going to cause crime and hurt property values in the Heights and Hillcrest.

Not only did Summit not happening save Park Plaza but we also got to see a developer ride in and take over the whole area, including replacing University.

If you had told me this is what would happen 5 years ago I would've been thrilled. And I am.

Excellent summary.

How do you post pictures on here. I took some of PROMENADE AT CHENAL AND THE UNVERSITY MALL SITES TODAY.

I was looking at the Chenal loaction and I easily see a department store there.

I would hate for that(shopping center) to be in my backyard though. The traffic on the weekends is only to be horrible.

Lets say there is a department store in the planning. What could go there?

So far there is not a department store in the planning. Dillard's was originally planned but they since pulled out, and thats a good thing for Park Plaza's sake. Rumor is that Macy's is looking into both NWA and Little Rock. I have no idea how soon they plan on entering however. If they were to enter LR, the Promenade would be the perfect location. Higher department stores i.e. Nordstrom/Saks would not enter the LR market especially since they aren't even in Memphis.

There is a rumor that Nordstrom is looking into NWA however.

Edited by bchris02

So far there is not a department store in the planning. Dillard's was originally planned but they since pulled out, and thats a good thing for Park Plaza's sake. Rumor is that Macy's is looking into both NWA and Little Rock. I have no idea how soon they plan on entering however. If they were to enter LR, the Promenade would be the perfect location. Higher department stores i.e. Nordstrom/Saks would not enter the LR market especially since they aren't even in Memphis.

There is a rumor that Nordstrom is looking into NWA however.

I call BS on Nordstrom in NWA.

I dunno. G. David Gearhart may need a new tie, and I'm a sucker for Nordstrom brand t-shirts.

Not in Memphis.

Not in Nashville.

Not in OKC.

Not in Tulsa.

Not in Birmingham.

Not in Little Rock.

Not in New Orleans.

NOT in NWA.

I could be wrong, but that would be nothing short of ridiculous.

Not in Memphis.

Not in Nashville.

Not in OKC.

Not in Tulsa.

Not in Birmingham.

Not in Little Rock.

Not in New Orleans.

NOT in NWA.

I could be wrong, but that would be nothing short of ridiculous.

I agree. I think much of the NWA hype is ridiculous as it is, and its starting to show with all the foreclosed projects. LR will always be the state's true urban center.