The Promenade At Chenal

I think the pulled plumbing permit is a first on this board. That is interesting because they were hiring...

The only other reason I have to go there now is the IMAX movie theater.

They might jump, but they also may be reacting to the economy. Most folks I talk to say that the current administration is just trying to hold it together until after the elections. No one is sure they can even do that.

Are you sure they pulled their plumbing permit? I read the Times article and did not read where they pulled their permit as in retract it. I do find it interesting and dissappointing that Apple isn't a confirmed tenant according to that article. Apple just opened a store in Baton Rouge this year, so I don't know why they wouldn't in Little Rock. There are other retailers that took out plumbing permits for the Promenade but don't appear on that list.

ifoapplestore.com reports a June grand opening on the Apple store and it is still listed on Apple's website. http://www.apple.com/jobs/us/store/

Edited by bchris02

Apple was missing from the list and Ark Times said they pulled their plumbing permit.

My interpretation of the Times' post was that "pulling a permit" means acquiring a plumbing permit... not withdrawing it. If they'd withdrawn their permit, then Apple's absence from the list wouldn't be news.

My interpretation of the Times' post was that "pulling a permit" means acquiring a plumbing permit... not withdrawing it. If they'd withdrawn their permit, then Apple's absence from the list wouldn't be news.

Agreed. Reading the AT blog just now, the actual quote is: "Noticeably absent from the list is an Apple store (a plumbing permit for an Apple store was taken out last November)." They are NOT inferring it was retracted. "Taking out" is the common term for applied or taken action with.

Regardless, they state that it was conspicuously absent. I would agree, except for the fact that they left off LOTS of known tenants, so I wouldn't assume the list is exhaustive. Certainly they've signed up more than 13 tenants. But, if there's any retailer that "secretive" about that kind of thing, it's Apple - so maybe that's part of the explanation. All that aside, YIKES! I hope there isn't something wrong here!

FYI: I doubt Apple is too worried about the economy. Apple commanded 14% of total computer sales in the U.S. in February, representing a 60% increase in sales from the prior calendar year. Wow.

KARK is going to discuss the Promenade soon, I'll let you know if they say anything new. I bet they won't have any exclusive info though.

Edit: Yeah nothing new, and the website is pretty much a rehash:

http://arkansasmatters.com/content/fulltext/?cid=67386

Designer Shoe Warehouse

J Crew

J. Jill

Talbots

Coldwater Creek

Bebe

Victoria’s Secret

Bath & Body Works

Select Comfort

American Eagle Outfitters

Kay Jewelers

Aeropostale

Dickinson Theaters

Edited by shcwilj

KARK is going to discuss the Promenade soon, I'll let you know if they say anything new. I bet they won't have any exclusive info though.

I really doubt Apple would pull out....this is just a case of RED's selective disclosure, since we know of many others they didn't list.

I really doubt Apple would pull out....this is just a case of RED's selective disclosure, since we know of many others they didn't list.

I wonder why they would leave it out being as its probably the highest profile tenant in the center.

For the tenants that also have a location in Park Plaza, do they plan to keep both locations open or will we soon see some pullouts from Park Plaza?

I wonder why they would leave it out being as its probably the highest profile tenant in the center.

Who knows. It probably has as much to do with the retailer as it does RED. They probably have to clear it with each of them. Again, as I understand it, they've hired staff, submitted construction documents for permitting, etc.

Hey, I know who WOULD know...that guy that worked at CompUSA in the Apple section for so long who's now at Best Buy's Apple section. He confirmed the store and the interviews/hires for me....I'm sure he'd know if anything had gone awry...

For the tenants that also have a location in Park Plaza, do they plan to keep both locations open or will we soon see some pullouts from Park Plaza?

I'm sure they'll keep both locations open. Stores like American Eagle and Victoria's Secret should really have more than one location in LR, which is why this is being built. I doubt the Promenade stores rival the Park Plaza ones in revenue.

It was recently published that RED has Promenade 100% leased. Obviously there will be 50 or more stores, so these 13 are just the ones ready to announce.

There is a new rumor that Sephora and Anthropologie are on the list for Promenade at Chenal. That doesn't do anything for me, but they are new to the market. I think NWA has them in Pinnacle Hills.

Sephora's not a big deal (NWA has one, there is one that will be inside the Shackleford Crossing JC Penney's) but Anthropologie is a pleasant surprise. They generally go only in upscale urban malls and there isn't one in Arkansas at all nor in Memphis, OKC or Tulsa. It would be a pretty big coup to get one and I know a few people that would be very excited about it.

i'm so happy to have located this message board. we've been dying to find out what stores are moving into the promenade. we moved here from california, specifically orange county. we are definitely missing the great So Cal shopping.

we are not impressed with the list of stores we're reading about here. we've lived in chenal for about 8 months and have the 'impression' that we are living around some pretty high income families. why is the promenade allowing some of the stores on this list given the high income in this area?

also, where are the family friendly stores? what about babystyle or janie and jack or a cute little toy store? we are surprised to see stores that aren't catering to children and families in this area.

obviously, we are still learning about arkansas and the little rock area. both of us were born and raised in california. but for the state's capital, you think they would have most stores...some bigger named stores, for sure. we have been surprised with what's missing. HOWEVER, we've been saving tons of money on tax and shipping while shopping online. since AR doesn't have many of the stores we are ordering from, you don't pay tax and often times NO SHIPPING, too. that's been nice, but we'd love to have the store here. know what i mean?

anyway, a nordstrom would be great. macy's is a bit 'ehhh'. macy's is all over california and it's kinda viewed as an upscale Tj Maxx. a nordstrom would really bring in the high-end retailers. gawd please bring in that apple store. we are a mac family and have been dying to see an apple store around here. they have a great children's area in most apple stores and they offer amazing classes.

we have been pleased to see all of the other new centers popping up around town, too...gives us some hope. oh, and we were pleasant;y surprised to see that container store come to town. that is a sign of something great on the horizon.

i'm so happy to have located this message board. we've been dying to find out what stores are moving into the promenade. we moved here from california, specifically orange county. we are definitely missing the great So Cal shopping.

we are not impressed with the list of stores we're reading about here. we've lived in chenal for about 8 months and have the 'impression' that we are living around some pretty high income families. why is the promenade allowing some of the stores on this list given the high income in this area?

also, where are the family friendly stores? what about babystyle or janie and jack or a cute little toy store? we are surprised to see stores that aren't catering to children and families in this area.

obviously, we are still learning about arkansas and the little rock area. both of us were born and raised in california. but for the state's capital, you think they would have most stores...some bigger named stores, for sure. we have been surprised with what's missing. HOWEVER, we've been saving tons of money on tax and shipping while shopping online. since AR doesn't have many of the stores we are ordering from, you don't pay tax and often times NO SHIPPING, too. that's been nice, but we'd love to have the store here. know what i mean?

anyway, a nordstrom would be great. macy's is a bit 'ehhh'. macy's is all over california and it's kinda viewed as an upscale Tj Maxx. a nordstrom would really bring in the high-end retailers. gawd please bring in that apple store. we are a mac family and have been dying to see an apple store around here. they have a great children's area in most apple stores and they offer amazing classes.

we have been pleased to see all of the other new centers popping up around town, too...gives us some hope. oh, and we were pleasant;y surprised to see that container store come to town. that is a sign of something great on the horizon.

Ha, well, all I can say is that we're trying, and I think slowly, but surely, we're catching up.

There's a long story about how the development of new stores in the area was held up for a few years due to a dispute over plans to build a new, gigantic mall and the residents who lived around the proposed site. Everything was on hold while that was in court and, of course, it fell through.

Finally, things seem to be progressing again.

Welcome to Little Rock. I have an aunt the works at the Exploratoreum and cousins in other areas of CA. Having grown up in Little Rock, I always had great anticipation of the Christmas gifts I would be receiving from my California family. They never failed to deliver.

Markets cater to their customers. The existing level of retail sophistication fits the majority of the Little Rock MSA. For years there have been a handful of locals who, prior to the internet, shopped in Dallas to meet their needs. My observation, as well as the observation of others, is that Little Rock's retail offerings lag major markets by about 10 years.

Something that you may not get in So Cal to the extent that you can in Little Rock is the ability to ask a local retailer to bring in a product line. This is particularly true of the independent stores in the Heights and Hillcrest. Independent local retailers need to differentiate themselves from the competition. Your suggestions can help make this happen for them. This is less important now that we have the internet though.

You can also do this for local restaurants. If there is a food preparation that you are particularly fond of, then meet the owner of the local restaurant that would be easily capable of meeting your needs and ask. There is a genuine desire to please you in the South. Obviously if there is a critical mass in the market that share your level of sophistication, the market will adapt to accommodate you.

Edited by turboturtle

This is Little Rock, Not LA. Sorry, and yes i feel your pain. I shop in San Francisco every summer and once I get back here, its like oh crap. Its sad. I would like to come back in 5 years and see a Nordstrom

The retail market in Little Rock was frozen for about 10 years because of the Summit Mall issue. Now things are happening again. During that 10 years Northwest Arkansas has had a chance to blast way ahead of us in terms of retail and dining offerings despite their lower population, but soon we will close the gap. While I do think for its size, Little Rock should offer more, you can never expect the kind of retail available in Southern California, which is the 2nd largest metro in the nation, to be available here. Dallas is the only place somewhat near here that can really compare. Coming from Ft. Smith, Little Rock seems like a decent sized city, but when compared to places like the LA metro we are a small town.

Edited by bchris02

The retail market in Little Rock was frozen for about 10 years because of the Summit Mall issue. Now things are happening again. During that 10 years Northwest Arkansas has had a chance to blast way ahead of us in terms of retail and dining offerings despite their lower population, but soon we will close the gap. While I do think for its size, Little Rock should offer more, you can never expect the kind of retail available in Southern California, which is the 2nd largest metro in the nation, to be available here. Dallas is the only place somewhat near here that can really compare. Coming from Ft. Smith, Little Rock seems like a decent sized city, but when compared to places like the LA metro we are a small town.

I really thought NWA was catching up, I think they are still closing the gap rather than vice versa. They had the retail market of Ft Smith just a few years ago, they've improved greatly since.

You hit the nail on the head, though, the Summit Mall issue held up retail in this city for 15 years. Everyone else was afraid to build and compete with a 1.5 million SF mall in a prime location. We're just now adding stores that have wanted to move to the market for some time.

That said, we still are probably too small for a diverse shopping experience like you find in Southern California. Dallas is the is the only place in this part of the country you'll really find that. My wife and I miss it, we just try to visit on occasion.

I've only driven by the Promenade site one time.

I've seen some speculation that it could be expanded at some point.

How much space is available if they decide to do so?

This is the commercial website for Chenal. The main parcel is the top one.

Chenal Commercial Real Estate

There are 10 acres sitting directly behind the current Promenade and are enclosed with it inside of Rahling and La Grande. There is an additional 15 acres or so across Rahling behind Bank of the Ozarks. There will be additional commercial tracts available when LaGrande is finished out.

Even if RED doesn't purchase the tract within Rahling and LaGrande I would think that tract and the ones across Rahling would be developed pretty quickly if the shopping center really is fully leased. That will be a high traffic area.

Probably very little. It appears to basically be under roof - this might be affecting some site work/paving, but that's not likely a critical item at this point.

FWIW, I've noticed new brickwork and facades as well as the first glass windows being installed in the last week.

The paving appears to be complete and the sitework on the outlying buildings hasn't started yet anyway.