The Promenade At Chenal

I was referring to the construction....which has been remarkably quick (as has been noted by others in this thread.)

That's fair. I've not seen the Promenade construction.

When it was brought up at the Planning Commission meeting, it was in a chart that showed a timeline for Promenade at Chenal, Shackleford Crossing, Pleasant Ridge, Midtowne and the projected timeline for Park Avenue. I was surprised to see that the Promenade at Chenal had taken the longest. That chart projected Park Avenue to be the shortest.

If MM Cohn was still in its hey day, do you think they could find themselfs in the Promenade. At one point, Cohn was LR's own Saks & it was a step above Dillards. What a fall from grace. I would love to see a department store there. I would only do more to complament the shopping center. I would love to see macy's. even if its not that upscale, its still new to the market. I would love to see a Saks. Oh, but we could only dream. What other cities that might be larger than LR, but comparable to LR have a saks? any?

We absolutely should see Macy's by now, upscale or not. It is getting increasingly unfathomable to me that Macy's is simply satisfied with writing off five states altogether. (Sure, one of those is Alaska, where the price of doing business is understandably higher. But they are already in Hawaii, after all.)

As far as where MM Cohn would have gone, had it still been the arbiter of style it once was, it probably would have been a good fit in place of Belk in Pleasant Ridge. Parisian's restrained chic seemed akin to the mystique MM Cohn once held when I was little. But I could see where it might have been a candidate for Promenade, too.

The most comparable markets to Little Rock which have Saks Fifth Avenue -- and this is STILL a stretch -- would have to be Birmingham and Tulsa. And Birmingham isn't even that good of an example, since Saks Incorporated headquarters has been located there for the last few years.

Latest Commercial Corner puff piece in the Life in Chenal mag suggests that Deltic's 10 acre tract behind Promenade is being marketed to an upscale retailer (I think it said something clothing related) who is more interested in owning the property rather than leasing. Are there specific retailers that fit that?

It also continues confirmation of Apple. However, it also seems to suggest something or some small part opening on Memorial Day weekend...and somehow I don't see that happening....so it's hard to determine the accuracy of what's stated there.

After reading this I think the subtlety of the realtor-speak may have led to some confusion. This tract is being marketed for a "large fashion retailer that would prefer to buy and not lease", meaning RED is not going to buy the land and lease it as part of the Promenade at Chenal and they are targeting the space for this, it does not at all mean they have identified interested retailers. This is similar to when she said in another article that there was a parcel being marketed for a boutique-style hotel, they haven't identified who that would be, just that in their plans for the area they would like to see one there.

Promenade had an ad about the movie theatre and Maggie Moo's which it states is adjacent to the movie theatre. I would assume Maggie Moo's will be opening early and trying to cater to some of the moviegoers.

well, we drove through the Promenade this morning. we were heading down the hill and saw a few random cars exiting the center. my husband figured 'what the heck' and we drove in to check it out...or at least check out what we could access by car. it's starting to shape up. a few things to note:

*i didn't realize there as a parking lot on the back side of the center. the whole lot is paved back there and looks nice. center is very pretty from the rear just as it is from the front view (the side facing chenal parkway).

*did anyone else know there was a mimi/motherhood maternity store going in? i don't recall seeing that on the store list we were keeping here...but it's there. i was surprised to see it. not pleasantly surprised...i still think a babystyle would have done SO well in that center. anyway, the store is there and is just a couple doors up from...

*portrait innovations. their sign is up, as well.

we couldn't get in much farther than driving around to the back. they haven't paved the middle section yet and there were workers there...otherwise, we would have hopped out of the car and walked through the middle.

what i do want to say is i think this center would have done much much much better if they didn't have any driving or parking in the center. i think this town needs an outdoor mall where kids can run and roam free. this center will be tough on families with small children. the kids will HAVE to be restrained in a stroller or something. my children love to run around while we shop...especially after having eaten or if they need a break from mommy shopping / sitting in the stroller for a while. i think we could use a mall with a whole center area for just walking...not parking. they could've put in some cool pop-up fountains for the kids to play in...maybe a little train...something fun to make it more family friendly. instead, cars will be driving up and down the middle of the center. ah well. just my opinion.

looks good though!

Edited by bwiched

Part of the benefit of a lifestyle center is that you can park directly in front of the store, allowing you to visit just one store instead of parking at a far way entrance and having to make a major hike to get to where one particular store. An outdoor pedestrian mall would never offer that.

I drove around today, too. It's starting to take shape very well, although a lot of those stores look far from being ready to open. I still don't think anything other than the theater will be open for a while.

It also continues confirmation of Apple.

I hear now from a competing tenant manager that Apple has indeed halted development at Chenal and is now looking instead at Midtown or Pleasant Ridge instead... THIS IS NOT RELATED TO THE "PULLING THE PLUMBING PERMIT" RUMOUR FROM SEVERAL WEEKS AGO!

Can anybody else confirm this or add to it?

I personally never understood why Apple looked so far out west... the central location/proximity to Heights/Hillcrest and natural retail neighbors (William-Sonoma/Starbuck/Pottery Barn) seem to be a better fit...IMO

In a search of Apple's website, the Promenade location still comes up. It sounds like an unfounded rumor, although I admit that the Midtowne stores seem like more natural neighbors for an Apple store. However, the first Apple store in Dallas was built in a Plano mall. The Northpark mall location didn't come for several years.

It also continues confirmation of Apple.

I hear now from a competing tenant manager that Apple has indeed halted development at Chenal and is now looking instead at Midtown or Pleasant Ridge instead... THIS IS NOT RELATED TO THE "PULLING THE PLUMBING PERMIT" RUMOUR FROM SEVERAL WEEKS AGO!

Can anybody else confirm this or add to it?

I personally never understood why Apple looked so far out west... the central location/proximity to Heights/Hillcrest and natural retail neighbors (William-Sonoma/Starbuck/Pottery Barn) seem to be a better fit...IMO

I too agree that Midtowne would be a better location. The old Bombay spot would be perfect. However, my fear is with the deteriorating US economy, if they decide not to go into the Promenade they will either put this market on hold alltogether or wait out for Park Ave, which could easily be 2 years away.

Edited by bchris02

I too agree that Midtowne would be a better location. The old Bombay spot would be perfect. However, my fear is with the deteriorating US economy, if they decide not to go into the Promenade they will either put this market on hold alltogether or wait out for Park Ave, which could easily be 2 years away.

I agree. Midtowne would really be a much better location and (typical) fit for Apple. It would also absolutely solidify Midtown as having the preeminent tenants in the market...I never liked the idea of them being split or marginalized between centers anyway. That being said, I'll take it wherever they land!

Today's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette says that Dick's Sporting Goods is to be an anchor in Park Avenue. At one time, this store was mentioned for the Promenade along with several other places that have yet to be confirmed since their first mention - Chili's, the Italian restaurant. I wonder if that means they may not happen either.

In a search of Apple's website, the Promenade location still comes up. It sounds like an unfounded rumor, although I admit that the Midtowne stores seem like more natural neighbors for an Apple store. However, the first Apple store in Dallas was built in a Plano mall. The Northpark mall location didn't come for several years.

Apple's Memphis/Germantown store is next door to a Williams Sonoma in Saddle Creek, a center a lot like Midtowne.

The Shops at Saddle Creek is a far larger development, but I agree it caters to the same demographic. But, Apple moving into Midtowne versus Promenade would somewhat mirror what happened in Saddle Creek. Replacing Bombay Company with Apple would have approximately the same net effect as Apple taking over for Saddle Creek's location of Restoration Hardware, relative to Little Rock's situation. But as Architect said, I'll take Apple wherever they choose to locate. (Though I kind of hope it wouldn't be Park Avenue, since it will still be at least 18 months until that center opens. I'm just a bit impatient.)

At least this Friday, one significant part of the Promenade finally opens. Question is, then... Who's ready to see Kung Fu Panda on the IMAX screen?

Apple no longer lists the Promenade location on its website. Further confirmation that they are either looking into another development. I hope they don't end up putting this market on hold entirely.

They're still looking for applicants when I searched in their job section. Just click to find a location:

http://jobs.apple.com/index.ajs?method=mHv...Id=3&PID=51

Edited by adman0468

The Aeropostale sign went up yesterday right across from the Chenal 9, so is that the teenager end of the Promenade?!

Makes sense since the maternity store is at the other end of the center. Good idea to keep those two far apart. Of course, it is Arkansas....

Apple no longer lists the Promenade location on its website. Further confirmation that they are either looking into another development. I hope they don't end up putting this market on hold entirely.

Ugh. That's scary thinking they'd leave the market....hopefully this is just a sign that they are revisiting locations...ideally Midtowne.

Ugh. That's scary thinking they'd leave the market....hopefully this is just a sign that they are revisiting locations...ideally Midtowne.

just curious would they be able to fit in the old Bombay space in Midtowne?

I think they pulled because of Park Avenue. But, they may be back to the Promenade if Park Avenue stops looking like it is a go.

just curious would they be able to fit in the old Bombay space in Midtowne?

I think they pulled because of Park Avenue. But, they may be back to the Promenade if Park Avenue stops looking like it is a go.

Its a shame that every time a new development goes up, most of its high profile tenants jump ship for some other proposed development that never lives up to its promises and all we get are scattered mediocre shopping centers. Park Avenue, from what we know, wouldn't be a good fit for Apple anyways. Midtowne maybe, but it seems Park Ave. is going more big-box value oriented. This is a MAJOR blow to the Promenade at Chenal.

Edited by bchris02

Apple is still coming to the Promenade according to this: http://jobs.apple.com/index.ajs?method=mHv...Id=3&PID=51 Why is everybody saying they aren't? :dontknow: Oh and can somebody do me a huge favor and go take some pics of this complex. Thanks. :)

I confirmed yesterday that Apple HAS NOT SIGNED THEIR CONTRACT for the Promenade at Chenal and is looking around.... although the Pleasant Ridge feels they'd be a long shot for a move there..

I confirmed yesterday that Apple HAS NOT SIGNED THEIR CONTRACT for the Promenade at Chenal and is looking around.... although the Pleasant Ridge feels they'd be a long shot for a move there..

Great insight. Can you clarify that they are in fact "looking around" (i.e. they are still interested in the market)? I'm much less concerned about WHERE they go as I am about IF they go!

Great insight. Can you clarify that they are in fact "looking around" (i.e. they are still interested in the market)? I'm much less concerned about WHERE they go as I am about IF they go!

I'll be in Memphis attending a wedding this weekend. The church is only a half mile or so from Saddle Creek so I'll try to get by the Apple Store and see what I can find out about the LR store. Like you I hope they choose Midtowne but anyplace in LR is better than nothing. My wife and I bought one of the first

128k, single sided floopy disc drive Macs, and have owned many since. They are great computers, far better than Windows based machines, in my experience.