The Promenade At Chenal

Actually, I emailed Red Robin (it's my favorite burger place) and received a response that they were planning to open two locations one in the McCain Mall area and one in the West Little Rock area. It has been several months ago, so I'm not for sure if their plans are the same...

Edited by jnholmes

YaYa's opening day is set for Thursday, January 22, and I look forward to it. But I still worry a bit about how sparsely the center is populated, though Bath & Body Works may be the next in line to open... in March. Nothing there has really held my attention for very long, outside of a trip to the theater to see The Dark Knight in IMAX (which was worth it, even including a start time after 10 p.m.).

Edited by ArkansasTraveler

YaYa's opening day is set for Thursday, January 22, and I look forward to it. But I still worry a bit about how sparsely the center is populated, though Bath & Body Works may be the next in line to open... in March. Nothing there has really held my attention for very long, outside of a trip to the theater to see The Dark Knight in IMAX (which was worth it, even including a start time after 10 p.m.).

If this center would have been built 2 years ago - before the economy collapsed, we wouldn't have that problem. The timing of this recession could not have been any worse for the LR area.

Edited by bchris02

If this center would have been built 2 years ago - before the economy collapsed, we would have that problem. The timing of this recession could not have been any worse for the LR area.

Agreed. This is particularly true for both Promenade and Shackelford Crossings - Pleasant Ridge not so much since it opened earlier. But regardless...if they'd all opened even in a boom economy, it's still one center too many at the least, and I'd argue 2 too many. One larger "regional" center built along a major traffic corridor (i.e. "freeways") would have been much more preferable than the scenario we now have. Hmmm...they should have called it "Summit"...that would have been a good name.

If this center would have been built 2 years ago - before the economy collapsed, we wouldn't have that problem. The timing of this recession could not have been any worse for the LR area.

Just for retail. Otherwise we are weathering it surprisingly well.

Actually, I am kind of proud of the fact they are filling up all of these centers against all odds. Shackleford Crossing and Promenade are picking up steam now.

I'm concerned that a lot of the stores that are scheduled to open this spring are not going to open. Retailers got hit hard over the holiday shopping season so I don't see a lot of expansion for retailers in 2009. I just read that bebe, a store that is suppose to come to the Promenade, had a 20% drop in same store sales and its CEO resigned because of it.

To save money retailers are going to layoff workers, close under performing stores and delay new store openings. It's already happening: Circuit City, Linen & Things, Goody's, Norwalk Furniture, Sharper Image. Since the housing bubble didn't effect Little Rock as much and our unemployment rate is below the national average, those that are expanding may take a chance on Little Rock.

I'm concerned that a lot of the stores that are scheduled to open this spring are not going to open. Retailers got hit hard over the holiday shopping season so I don't see a lot of expansion for retailers in 2009. I just read that bebe, a store that is suppose to come to the Promenade, had a 20% drop in same store sales and its CEO resigned because of it.

To save money retailers are going to layoff workers, close under performing stores and delay new store openings. It's already happening: Circuit City, Linen & Things, Goody's, Norwalk Furniture, Sharper Image. Since the housing bubble didn't effect Little Rock as much and our unemployment rate is below the national average, those that are expanding may take a chance on Little Rock.

I've wondered if all those announced retailers

A lot dpeends on who signed leases. Part of the delay is many had conditional leases saying that they wouldn't open until Tenant "A" opened, etc. I think most of all of the announced tenants have signed leases but obviously some stores are at risk for bankruptcy.

Yes, well at this point a signed lease guarantees nothing since the cost may be percieved to open may be significantly higher than the lost cost of the lease and any penalties. Not that I'm saying things won't open, but a lease might be the least of the worries for a retailer right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Drove through the center this weekend. The portrait place has opened. Ya Ya's has opened (and seemed to be doing well). Ann Taylor Loft looks ready to open within the next month. Construction has started on Kay's Jewelers and American Eagle. The Regions branch has applied for a plumbing permit for their outparcel. There are definitely signs of life there, but I think DSW will be the turning point. It's new to the market and should help drive traffic.

Edited by adman0468

With Park Avenue on hold maybe Apple will soon commit to a development if they are still interested in this market. Whether it moves forward at the Promenade or ends up in Park Plaza or Midtowne doesn't matter. In my opinion however it will take Apple in the Promenade to transform it from a neighborhood shopping center to a regional destination.

Its good to see the promenade coming along. I really would love to see apple out there. I think it could bring the shopping center up to a whole new level.

What about a list of stores that have interest in the promenade.

I just can't decide which location would be better for Apple...Park Plaza, Promenade or MidTown...I imagine Apple can't either, though it's clear (per the plumbing permits) that they'd originally decided about Promenade.

Interesting that really all three have their merits and very legitimate tenants, though if I had my druthers - as has been discussed on numerous occasions - Little Rock would have been better off with ONE very nice, large, upscale development (perhaps one in addition to Park Plaza).

p.s. Someone posted here late last year that they had inside information that Apple was to start construction at the Promenade January '09 with completion/opening in March/April '09. Any word on that?

• 2 weeks later...

I went to YaYa's European Bistro last night. It was packed! I was so surprised. The food was delicious. I had the double pork chop with spinach/potato gratin. My wife's pizza was a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10. The dessert made it all worthwhile! Dark chocolate brownie wrapped in filo pastry dough with carmel and ice cream. YUMMY!!!! It's not cheap though. Our tab was $68 with tip.

I feel certain that when the other stores see/hear about the success of the restaurant they will continue on with their plans. I did notice that Ann Taylor Loft is about to open...

BTW, YaYa's is owned by the same company that owns Red Robin out of Kansas City. Maybe we will get a Red Robin!! :)

I went to YaYa's European Bistro last night. It was packed! I was so surprised. The food was delicious. I had the double pork chop with spinach/potato gratin. My wife's pizza was a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10. The dessert made it all worthwhile! Dark chocolate brownie wrapped in filo pastry dough with carmel and ice cream. YUMMY!!!! It's not cheap though. Our tab was $68 with tip.

I feel certain that when the other stores see/hear about the success of the restaurant they will continue on with their plans. I did notice that Ann Taylor Loft is about to open...

BTW, YaYa's is owned by the same company that owns Red Robin out of Kansas City. Maybe we will get a Red Robin!! :)

We went there for lunch today after church, and I will have to say that it was fantastic - both the food and the service (they even invited our two boys back into the kitchen to make their "dirt" ice cream dessert). We'll be back. I can see this becoming popular quickly.

I agree 100%. Infact we need some fast casual restaurants. Something like Chipotle or Buffalo Wild Wings will surely be a hit.

I to went to Ya Ya's this weekend. This will be a popular place for some time to come. Great service and Great price!!!

I would like to see more places like Ya Ya's in the Promenade. I think this center is just off to a slow start. It will be in full swing come summer.

J. Crew, Limited and Victoria's Secret are no longer listed on the Chenalshopping.com website in the directory of stores. They were originally listed to open this spring. maybe the site just isn't listing them, but since I had seen that they all had layoffs recently, it may not be a surprise that national expansion has slowed.

Edited by adman0468

J. Crew, Limited and Victoria's Secret are no longer listed on the Chenalshopping.com website in the directory of stores. They were originally listed to open this spring. maybe the site just isn't listing them, but since I had seen that they all had layoffs recently, it may not be a surprise that national expansion has slowed.

Wow, you're right?! Strange...they were there when I looked the other day. Also, they have big banners (as I recall) on the actual spots now where those stores are locating. Seems to me that it would have to be intentional for them to have been removed from the website. Certainly, if J Crew, Victorias, etc. don't seem fit to locate here, this doesn't bode well for Apple. Ugh.

Long term though, once the economic storm has passed, these are the type of tenants that will ultimately locate here.

Wow, you're right?! Strange...they were there when I looked the other day. Also, they have big banners (as I recall) on the actual spots now where those stores are locating. Seems to me that it would have to be intentional for them to have been removed from the website. Certainly, if J Crew, Victorias, etc. don't seem fit to locate here, this doesn't bode well for Apple. Ugh.

Drove by there last night. The signs are still painted on the locations for J. Crew, Victoria's and Limited. They say "open spring 2009, except for VS which says March 2009. Don't think that's going to happen.

Wouldn't suprise me if J. Crew was delayed or even cancelled. Hope i'm wrong of course. The company has been having some problems lately but who hasn't in this economy? Here is an article regarding cuts J. Crew is making: http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews...735091720090227

Edited by citylife

Ate at Ya Ya's Saturday night. Arrived at 8:15 for a party of six and were told the wait was 1 hour. It turned out to be just 35 minutes and was definitely worth it. Great food. Adventurous menu. Wonderful flavors. Instead of butter, the bread is served with baba ghanoush and a flavored olive oil. Very different. Portions were good-sized and everyone in my party was quite happy. Decor looks good, too.

They said they'll have their very large patio open in April. That will make a great place to dine when the weather is good. (insert standard observation about the lack of other tenants here).