The Promenade At Chenal

^I don't think Chipotle and Buffalo Wild Wings would go into this high scale of a development. I'm sure the lease rates are too high for those types of restaurants, but I agree with you, Little Rock does need more Buffalo Wild Wings.

So I visited the website for this mall today and I have to say I was very disappointed with the graphics, and overall design. They need some photos of the mall (at least of the stores that are there), and maybe even re-do the entire website. Maybe I'm being too picky, but I could even do a better job than what they have done.

Yeah, that website is....meh.

On a positive note, the center has been quite busy since DSW opened. There was a lot of pent up shoe fancy in LR apparently.

Edited by EJC

So I'm still confused about where the Apple Store is going. I thought it was to go in at chenal, but I remember someone saying it might go in Park Plaza. Does anyone have a definate answer? Has Apple completely pulled out of Little Rock?

Apple had publicly stated that they were locating in the Chenal Promenade (had job advertisements, etc.) - in fact, this store was announced as the first in Louisiana, Arkansas and Mississippi. Sadly, three stores have opened in those states and still no LR location. Recently there were rumors they were revisiting locations. I've since been told that Promenade has a signed lease for them...why they've delayed (as have all the retailers there) is really bizarre - I guess you could chalk it up to the recession, but Apple has proven to be recession proof so far.

But to answer your question, I really, really, really doubt that Apple has permanently abandoned the market. It's too big to ignore. They have numerous locations in smaller, less affluent markets (not many, admittedly, but several).

Apple had publicly stated that they were locating in the Chenal Promenade (had job advertisements, etc.) - in fact, this store was announced as the first in Louisiana, Arkansas and Mississippi. Sadly, three stores have opened in those states and still no LR location. Recently there were rumors they were revisiting locations. I've since been told that Promenade has a signed lease for them...why they've delayed (as have all the retailers there) is really bizarre - I guess you could chalk it up to the recession, but Apple has proven to be recession proof so far.

But to answer your question, I really, really, really doubt that Apple has permanently abandoned the market. It's too big to ignore. They have numerous locations in smaller, less affluent markets (not many, admittedly, but several).

An Apple store would sure help get this place off the ground. Also a Sony Style would be a help. These stores attract people like magnets. It would really help to have an IKEA store across the street. What's the closest IKEA to Little Rock. People drive 500 miles to those stores and having Chenal next door would attract a lot of that crowd. Also, is this the first location in Arkansas for a Lucky Brand Jeans? They have moved into more average centers in many cities. The store everyone is trying to get is True Religion Brand Jeans. Another store with a big draw would be Urban Outfitters.

An Apple store would sure help get this place off the ground. Also a Sony Style would be a help. These stores attract people like magnets. It would really help to have an IKEA store across the street. What's the closest IKEA to Little Rock. People drive 500 miles to those stores and having Chenal next door would attract a lot of that crowd. Also, is this the first location in Arkansas for a Lucky Brand Jeans? They have moved into more average centers in many cities. The store everyone is trying to get is True Religion Brand Jeans. Another store with a big draw would be Urban Outfitters.

All references to Lucky Brand Jeans have been removed from the website or the storefronts. I think that's dead now.

On Facebook, RK Collections is a "friend" of the Promenade. I would assume they are moving there. I know that when all the national chains started pulling out, a spokesperson said there were some local names they would announce soon.

And LR is way too small for an IKEA. Only huge cities have those. We'd be more likely to get a Crate & Barrel (but still not very likely).

Yeah I don't think any of us will see an IKEA in Arkansas during our lifetimes. The only metro close to us that has one is the Dallas-Ft Worth area. An area that basically has the population in our entire state in one metro. I don't even think St Louis or Kansas City has IKEAs. Don't think we're ever going to have to worry about them coming to the state.

I'm still pretty shocked that all of these retailers are pulling out of chenal. The demographics in that area are outstanding. Obviously the economy has made some retailers wait, but I would think since Little Rock has fared so well in this downturn they would go ahead. What are traffic counts like on Chenal? Since this center is not very close to a major road, do you think that hurts the mall?

Yeah I don't think any of us will see an IKEA in Arkansas during our lifetimes. The only metro close to us that has one is the Dallas-Ft Worth area. An area that basically has the population in our entire state in one metro. I don't even think St Louis or Kansas City has IKEAs. Don't think we're ever going to have to worry about them coming to the state.

DFW has almost 3 times the population of our state in one metro.

In the plumbing permits, there's one for a new restaurant in the Promenade, Bravo Cucina Italiana. It's an Italian chain that I'm not familiar with. Anyone? Here's there menu:

www.bravoitalian.com

According to the address, it should be in the space directly across from American Eagle (next to the fireplace). According to the site map for the center, it's a pretty big space, larger than Ya Ya's.

In the plumbing permits, there's one for a new restaurant in the Promenade, Bravo Cucina Italiana. It's an Italian chain that I'm not familiar with. Anyone? Here's there menu:

www.bravoitalian.com

According to the address, it should be in the space directly across from American Eagle (next to the fireplace). According to the site map for the center, it's a pretty big space, larger than Ya Ya's.

Very good to see. This place needs restaurants to bring in folks...this would definitely help the center. Ya Ya's continues to be quite busy every time I pass by or stop in.

Very good to see. This place needs restaurants to bring in folks...this would definitely help the center. Ya Ya's continues to be quite busy every time I pass by or stop in.

Excellent news. Bravo is a perfect addition to this mall. I ate at this restarant in new Orleans area. The food is great at a reasonable price and the bread they serve in the begining with olive oil is a winner.

I stopped by Maggie Moo's after a movie last Friday. They were pretty busy, which is good to see. But the kids working there at the time were pretty rude. My wife was asked "Are you gonna get something or what?" after she asked what was in a menu item. Has anyone else experienced this?

There's also a rumor going around that a prominent local restaurant owner is going into Promenade with an upscale Asian theme. I think this would help traffic there. Although I like the Chi's location over next to Coffee Beanery. So I wonder how that would work.

I stopped by Maggie Moo's after a movie last Friday. They were pretty busy, which is good to see. But the kids working there at the time were pretty rude. My wife was asked "Are you gonna get something or what?" after she asked what was in a menu item. Has anyone else experienced this?

There's also a rumor going around that a prominent local restaurant owner is going into Promenade with an upscale Asian theme. I think this would help traffic there. Although I like the Chi's location over next to Coffee Beanery. So I wonder how that would work.

Does LR have a PF Changs? That would be perfect for this center. There's also a "fast food" version of PF Changs called "Pei Wei", that would fit in nicely also.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think building the Promenade at Chenal in that location was a HUGE mistake considering all the other retail developments LR has. Little Rock isn't big enough to support that many developments and the city is paying the consequences now by so many brand new vacant malls. Apple would fit in well at Park Plaza and if it was to come to Little Rock, I hope thats where it ends up. I honestly think at this point, it would be a mistake for Apple to locate in the Promenade and considering the other tenants the center has actually shown up this far, I don't think it would be a good fit. The fact that more than 30 tenants were originally signed to the Promenade at Chenal and less than 10 of the original signed tenants actually showed up....should be enough to tell you that center will be a complete bomb. Considering the initial hype and the fact there were serious rumors about the center having a second phase makes this center right up with Summit Mall as being one of the worst disappointments in Little Rock retail history. I see they are having to resort to nail salons and low-end local stores just to fill space. This isn't what was envisioned. I think stores like Ann Taylor Loft and Coldwater Creek will close as soon as they get the opportunity to. They already have much reduced hours compared to the Park Plaza locations which isn't a good sign. I honestly don't see this becoming a viable center for another 10-20 years....and that's if growth continues in West Little Rock. Right now, everything is trending towards Bryant, Benton, and Cabot, and that won't help out this situation at all.

There was an initial fear by the pessimists that this center would fail because of how far it is from a major artery. It looks like those fears have proved to be true.

Edited by bchris02

I think building the Promenade at Chenal in that location was a HUGE mistake considering all the other retail developments LR has. Little Rock isn't big enough to support that many developments and the city is paying the consequences now by so many brand new vacant malls. Apple would fit in well at Park Plaza and if it was to come to Little Rock, I hope thats where it ends up. I honestly think at this point, it would be a mistake for Apple to locate in the Promenade and considering the other tenants the center has actually shown up this far, I don't think it would be a good fit. The fact that more than 30 tenants were originally signed to the Promenade at Chenal and less than 10 of the original signed tenants actually showed up....should be enough to tell you that center will be a complete bomb. Considering the initial hype and the fact there were serious rumors about the center having a second phase makes this center right up with Summit Mall as being one of the worst disappointments in Little Rock retail history. I see they are having to resort to nail salons and low-end local stores just to fill space. This isn't what was envisioned. I think stores like Ann Taylor Loft and Coldwater Creek will close as soon as they get the opportunity to. They already have much reduced hours compared to the Park Plaza locations which isn't a good sign. I honestly don't see this becoming a viable center for another 10-20 years....and that's if growth continues in West Little Rock. Right now, everything is trending towards Bryant, Benton, and Cabot, and that won't help out this situation at all.

There was an initial fear by the pessimists that this center would fail because of how far it is from a major artery. It looks like those fears have proved to be true.

This post is far too premature.

Timing is everthing. Over time, I have little doubt this place will flourish.

This post is far too premature.

Timing is everthing. Over time, I have little doubt this place will flourish.

Like I said, I have no doubt this center will eventually become viable, but I think it will take 10-20 years. I also don't think it will EVER be what was envisioned, but rather a local center with mostly independent boutique shops and restaurants. Though there is a lot of money out in Chenal, there really isn't enough population out there at this time to support what was initially envisioned a.k.a a smaller more upscale/niche version of Pinnacle Hills Promenade in NWA. For a major center such as this to work, it MUST be either in the midst of a densely populated area OR near a major freeway artery capable of drawing regional traffic. The Promenade has neither. The place already had two strikes against it, and when you factor in the recession, its a no-brainer why pretty much all of the initial signed tenants decided not to open.

Edited by bchris02

Like I said, I have no doubt this center will eventually become viable, but I think it will take 10-20 years. I also don't think it will EVER be what was envisioned, but rather a local center with mostly independent boutique shops and restaurants. Though there is a lot of money out in Chenal, there really isn't enough population out there at this time to support what was initially envisioned a.k.a a smaller more upscale/niche version of Pinnacle Hills Promenade in NWA. For a major center such as this to work, it MUST be either in the midst of a densely populated area OR near a major freeway artery capable of drawing regional traffic. The Promenade has neither. The place already had two strikes against it, and when you factor in the recession, its a no-brainer why pretty much all of the initial signed tenants decided not to open.

bchris02 - I agree pretty much in full to this post, but not necessarily your prior one. So...I wholeheartedly agree that it's location is problematic, and has been from the start (lack of density and major arterials or freeways). Big problem. But...I don't necessarily seeing this being a 10-20 year problem for the center. Why? Because....

...while I agree that there has been too much retail construction, each center has sort of stratified such that they're not in direct competition. Pleasant Ridge has found it's niche as a smaller development for local retailers...it's perfect for what it is, and it is not in direct competition with Park Plaza or Promenade (I might note that currently it's found the most success as it's more-or-less completely leased out). Shackleford Crossings has clearly transformed into a lower-end "Power Center" that competes with neither Pleasant Ridge or Park Plaza/Promenade (it's arguably the least successful due to its lack of tenants). So, that leaves the Promenade merely competing with Park Plaza/Midtown. So, in response to your last post quoted above, I do NOT think it will become a "local center with mostly independent boutique shops and restaurants." I think it will, eventually (and much sooner than 10 years) develop into a smaller balance to the high-end national retailers of Park Plaza/Midtown/Park Avenue.

A couple of other comments:

• Benton, Bryant, Cabot is ZERO competition for this center. Shackleford Crossings, yes. Promenade, no.

• While I don't think that Apple would be entirely out of place at the Promenade, I think the real issue is that Apple might be ready to move on this market before the center hits it's stride...so I could certainly see Apple going to Park Plaza/Midtown for that very reason. If Apple is married to Promendade (as I've heard they are), that might be a problem for seeing them anytime soon.

• 1 month later...

RK Collections is open now. Its rite next to the proposed BEBE store. There is no sign above it, only a temp one next to it. Work has started on the Bravo Restaurant across from American Eagle. I have also noticed many windows replacing the large wooden temp walls. Maybe this is a good sign. The wooden wall covering the apple store is still there. I think its only a matter of when, not if this thing opens up.

Over all, i say this is the most packed empty shopping center i have ever seen. There are always a ton of cars there. DSW seems to always be busy. Its a huge store. Dickinson 9 & IMAX is always packed. I think it could be a good candidate for expansion in a couple of years. I think with the economy turning around and things starting to pick up, 2010 will be a good year for the Promenade. I did however notice that many of the large signs that said Victoria's Secrete, J. Crew, Etc are now gone. The only one i see is the BEBE and the Select comfort(Whatever the hell that is).

• 5 weeks later...

According to plumbing permits, a Charming Charlie will be added to the center, next door to Destination Maternity (in a fairly large space). I'm not familiar with the chain, but according to their website, they offer inexpensive accessories and are based in Houston.

Not a store that will interest me, but it seems to be a decent addition to the center.