The Promenade At Chenal

Actually, I was told by sources in the know that it had everything to do with the status of the construction. The Promenade fell behind due to the extremely wet summer, delaying the original target opening for the store such that they had the option to cancel when the market went south. The other stores were further along/already under construction at that point.

That makes more sense to me. As far as the previous comments about NWA possibly getting an Apple store before Little Rock. Honestly I'd be very surprised. I've never hardly heard of any rumors of an Apple store up here. And despite having some prominent companies located in this area. I'd still have to think Little Rock would be better set up for the first store in the state. But I don't know how Apple evaluates it's demographic info.

Yes it was announced in 2007. The Little Rock store was the only opening in 2008 that was completely cancelled. Apple proceded to open the Mississippi, Louisiana, and Augusta, GA stores set for that year. Obviously they considered Little Rock to be their most risky market during a recession or they would have proceeded with the opening.

Once again you make large presumptions based off anecdotal "evidence". Architect's post is accurate based off actual evidence and the continued interest of the company in the site. If I were Apple and it looked like the retail development I was interested in moving into was starting to run into trouble (or in this case, delays that could lead to financial trouble) during a recession, I'd delay my opening date too. It's smart business. I might have located in another, better established/financially secure development, but apparently none of them met Apple's specific criteria at that point in time. All that means is they want THAT location, not just any location. Why you've chosen to make broader assumptions based off this I don't quite understand, particularly given your earlier potentially inflammatory comment.

I still think its when, not if, Apple opens the Promenade store. Honestly, I know the econmomy tanked on a national scale in 08/09, but Little Rock has been effected by it on a very small scale. Yes, we are not seeing the McMansions that were poping up all over WLR in what seemed like overnight, which I think is a good thing IMO. But our economy is strong. Dillard's seems to be doing great, along with Axiom, Windstreem and the other various companies we have. Little Rock was never really overbuilt like other communities around the state and country. Yes we have a surplus of retail, but each seems to be holding its own ground. Park Plaza/Midtown seem to be doing good, Park Ave is coming online (slowly), Shackleford Crossing seems to be picking up steam, and Pleasant Ridge is almost at capacity.

If Macy's were to announce that they were going in at the Promenade, I would bet that almost overnight the center would be full of buzz and interest. I think the same can be said of Apple. There is a lot of disposable income in Chenal Valley. Who wouldn't want to be at the center of that? Anthropologie doesnt just put stores in dead centers. Anthropologie, Apple and JCrew are all huge names in retail.

Its all about the timing. When Apple is ready, they will move in! Hopefully in the near future, we will hear some sort of announcement.

I concur with LRguy21. It is not if, it is when! Apple has no reason NOT to come to Little Rock. I personally think that the market could easily handle more than one store. I travel frequently and I must say LR's vibrance and resilience is truly remarkable.

I have recently been advised that the Apple store is imminent.

Finally, we Little Rockers can feel good about ourselves as the only measure of our city's worth that matters will be met in full.

:P Yeah, I agree. It amazes me how big a deal people have made out of this... but, I will be happy when it moves into the Promenade since both Apple and Anthropologie (neither are stores I care about, but regardless) are a good statement of retail strength in a center, and should do good things for ensuring the long term success of that area as a retail corridor.

:P Yeah, I agree. It amazes me how big a deal people have made out of this... but, I will be happy when it moves into the Promenade since both Apple and Anthropologie (neither are stores I care about, but regardless) are a good statement of retail strength in a center, and should do good things for ensuring the long term success of that area as a retail corridor.

Well...

a. this is a site to discuss development activity, and...

b. Apple is a significant retail addition to the market

That being said, I'm a big Apple fan and I'm excited that it appears they're finally going to open their store.

Well...

That being said, I'm a big Apple fan and I'm excited that it appears they're finally going to open their store.

Sorry, just a little ribbing. I know a lot of people are excited about it, although I really have no idea why. Its been interesting to see the discussion of the Apple Store manifest into what its become.

Well...

For what it's worth, I wasn't talking about you... I was more referring to certain previous posts that basically said Apple wasn't in Arkansas yet because we're poor and ignorant and a risky market :rolleyes: . I think the excitement behind Apple stores is very over-hyped when looked at logically (and may be worthless in a decade, with tech you never really know), but for the current market, yes they're a significant player and it will look good for the Promenade once they have them.

I think building the Promenade at Chenal in that location was a HUGE mistake considering all the other retail developments LR has. Little Rock isn't big enough to support that many developments and the city is paying the consequences now by so many brand new vacant malls. Apple would fit in well at Park Plaza and if it was to come to Little Rock, I hope thats where it ends up. I honestly think at this point, it would be a mistake for Apple to locate in the Promenade and considering the other tenants the center has actually shown up this far, I don't think it would be a good fit. The fact that more than 30 tenants were originally signed to the Promenade at Chenal and less than 10 of the original signed tenants actually showed up....should be enough to tell you that center will be a complete bomb. Considering the initial hype and the fact there were serious rumors about the center having a second phase makes this center right up with Summit Mall as being one of the worst disappointments in Little Rock retail history. I see they are having to resort to nail salons and low-end local stores just to fill space. This isn't what was envisioned. I think stores like Ann Taylor Loft and Coldwater Creek will close as soon as they get the opportunity to. They already have much reduced hours compared to the Park Plaza locations which isn't a good sign. I honestly don't see this becoming a viable center for another 10-20 years....and that's if growth continues in West Little Rock. Right now, everything is trending towards Bryant, Benton, and Cabot, and that won't help out this situation at all.

There was an initial fear by the pessimists that this center would fail because of how far it is from a major artery. It looks like those fears have proved to be true.

Sooo, if Apple comes does this post get a re-do?

Sooo, if Apple comes does this post get a re-do?

First, the economy, at least consumer spending, seems to have improved a little faster than expected in the fall of 2009. If a high profile tenant like Apple comes in, lets hope the many other tenants that initially committed or showed interest will follow. The Promenade came on-line at the worst possible time, right at the depths of recession when virtually no businesses were expanding. The remoteness of the center only made the situation worse. With time, it should fill in nicely.

Second, Apple, though definitely the most high profile committed tenant to the Promenade at Chenal was not the only tenant that initially committed to this development but did not show. Plus, hasn't a few things closed since the initial opening of the Promenade? Didn't American Eagle not even last a year?

Third, even if the Promenade eventually fills up, I still think not building Summit Mall was a huge mistake. Little Rock, despite its stereotype, has desirable demographics and should have many retailers that are not there. Apple is just one of them. One has to only look to Augusta Mall in Augusta, GA, a market similar to Little Rock, to see the benefit a mall like Summit would have brought to the retail landscape. Park Plaza, while as nice as any mall, is tiny, and Park Avenue has turned out to be not much more than a Target shopping center.

Sorry, just a little ribbing. I know a lot of people are excited about it, although I really have no idea why. Its been interesting to see the discussion of the Apple Store manifest into what its become.

I was away from this forum for a long period and it surprised me it was still being talked about and that it had not yet opened (I no longer live in Little Rock but I visit a few times per year). It's a big deal but maybe not worth however many pages in this thread speculating on if/when it would show up. What made it into such an issue is the fact that smaller markets with less desirable demographics were getting their Apple stores before Little Rock, and in a way that is kind of an insult to the city of Little Rock.

First, the economy, at least consumer spending, seems to have improved a little faster than expected in the fall of 2009. If a high profile tenant like Apple comes in, lets hope the many other tenants that initially committed or showed interest will follow. The Promenade came on-line at the worst possible time, right at the depths of recession when virtually no businesses were expanding. The remoteness of the center only made the situation worse. With time, it should fill in nicely.

Second, Apple, though definitely the most high profile committed tenant to the Promenade at Chenal was not the only tenant that initially committed to this development but did not show. Plus, hasn't a few things closed since the initial opening of the Promenade? Didn't American Eagle not even last a year?

Third, even if the Promenade eventually fills up, I still think not building Summit Mall was a huge mistake. Little Rock, despite its stereotype, has desirable demographics and should have many retailers that are not there. Apple is just one of them. One has to only look to Augusta Mall in Augusta, GA, a market similar to Little Rock, to see the benefit a mall like Summit would have brought to the retail landscape. Park Plaza, while as nice as any mall, is tiny, and Park Avenue has turned out to be not much more than a Target shopping center.

My point wasn't about Summit Mall, but was about your over-the-top hyperbole almost borderline "hate" for Promenade, which was premature. Promenade is already, and will continue to be a fine addition to Little Rock. Enjoy :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's not good that they're losing a tenant, but it isn't a big surprise. There's already one at Park Plaza and Charming Charlie's probably hurt what little business they had.

I have noticed that work seems to have stopped on The Wine Loft, although it is still on the center's website and the WIne Loft's web site.

Claire's is closing.

ewww, a McDonald's? I hope not!! maybe by Kroger but here? No thanks!

Not the best occupant for an upscale shopping center, but I can see why they want in that area. Just saw in Arkansas Business that the W. Markham location is the fifth busiest restaurant in LR. WLR could definitely support another one.

Anyone know the planned opening date for these new stores?