The Promenade At Chenal

Yayy, I think if this is the case, then this will be the most upscale center in Arkansas. It will certainly be on par with Park Plaza and the NWA Promenade. I dont think anyone can deny the type of buzz Apple brings with it.

I could see places like Fossil, Lucky Brand, etc also pop up as a result of this announcement. I wounder how long until the other no show tenants show up; stores like Victoria Secret, Bath and body works, etc.

There are also several other stores in WLR i would like to see relocate to the center like Chicos, Jos A Bank, and IO metro as well. I think this could become a fun little shopping district in Little Rock.

Maybe now some department store will move into the center as well.

Wounder if AE will come back now?

Construction work has begun in the space to the right of Anthropologie. According to RED's website, this is the space that was originally supposed to house J. Crew. No activity is apparent at the supposed Apple location next door, though with the wall that tilts out from the building, it could hide construction work pretty well when it does begin.

Construction work has begun in the space to the right of Anthropologie. According to RED's website, this is the space that was originally supposed to house J. Crew. No activity is apparent at the supposed Apple location next door, though with the wall that tilts out from the building, it could hide construction work pretty well when it does begin.

I wouldn't expect Apple to necessarily locate in the originally targeted slot. Furthermore, some of the construction work could be raw space conversions to "white box" parcels.

ewww, a McDonald's? I hope not!! maybe by Kroger but here? No thanks!

Great news on apple. What other retailers have people heard about that are possible?

If McDonald's is the same prototype that many upscale centers (areas) are using in the Orlando market it can actually be a good thing. McCafe's are a major competitor with Starbucks right now here. The upscale store design and push for coffee and breakfast items and wifi options attract even the most pretentious customer who needs his $3.60 for a gallon of gasoline and not a cup of coffee. Another McDonald's prototype in the Orlando market is Bistro Gourmet, once again pushing the coffee, pastries and wifi with an entire different line for ordering panini type menu options. These stores resemble Starbucks or Panera with sofa areas, no playplaces, warm brick fireplaces, etc. In this economy this could be a more important draw to get this center moving in the right direction than even Apple. McDonald's brings in repeat customers daily and builds it's customer base rapidly. Someone stopping by daily is bound to notice each new shop in the center as it opens and check it out. And remember, the focus of these restaurants aren't Big Macs. Chipolte was a McDonalds brainstorm and was touted on Oprah as being the healthiest fast food outlet available.

If McDonald's is the same prototype that many upscale centers (areas) are using in the Orlando market it can actually be a good thing. McCafe's are a major competitor with Starbucks right now here. The upscale store design and push for coffee and breakfast items and wifi options attract even the most pretentious customer who needs his $3.60 for a gallon of gasoline and not a cup of coffee. Another McDonald's prototype in the Orlando market is Bistro Gourmet, once again pushing the coffee, pastries and wifi with an entire different line for ordering panini type menu options. These stores resemble Starbucks or Panera with sofa areas, no playplaces, warm brick fireplaces, etc. In this economy this could be a more important draw to get this center moving in the right direction than even Apple. McDonald's brings in repeat customers daily and builds it's customer base rapidly. Someone stopping by daily is bound to notice each new shop in the center as it opens and check it out. And remember, the focus of these restaurants aren't Big Macs. Chipolte was a McDonalds brainstorm and was touted on Oprah as being the healthiest fast food outlet available.

The Bistro Gourmet is awesome. I would love to see something like that but what I have found from searching the Google is that Bistro Gourmet concept was the idea of the Orlando franchise owner and most of the Bistro Gourmets are in the Orlando area. The Oerthers seem to be pretty good franchise owners who have developed their own concept within the McDonalds system. There may be a few Gourmet Bistros around the country (San Diego has one apparently) but since this is not a true McDonald's prototype, doubtful anything like that would be placed in Little Rock. Little Rock McDonalds are franchise-owned I think and not corporate. Look for the local franchise owner to put in the current, McDonalds standard store. I would be shocked if it would be any different.

The McDonalds being built on S. University near Park Avenue, from what I understand, will be different from the other local McDonalds as it will be placed on a smaller lot than is usual in most McDonalds plans.

Orlando Gourmet Bistros

Photos of Gourmet Bistro

I talked to one of the subcontractors who happens to be a close friend. He said that Apple would be opening in July. He also said there is a coffee shop planned for the space around Anthropologie, Apple, & JCrew. I haven't heard anything about it but I think the center needs one.

• 3 weeks later...

An opinion piece in Arkansas Business, written by the publisher, Jeff Hankins, and entitled “Retail Resurrection,” highlights the improving prospects for various Little Rock area retail projects, including the Promenade. Regarding the Promenade, he mentions three forthcoming unique-to-the-market “destination retailers.” Two of them – Apple and J. Crew – are already known, but I had not heard that Nike planned to open a store in Little Rock. I don’t know how or if Hankins has confirmed this.

Has anyone else heard about Nike?

Wow. That is cool. I hadn't heard about Nike. When those three settle in, along with Anthropologie, they'll really have scored some high-end tenants that will form a great nucleus to attract others at the Promenade.

Interesting how the retail scene is settling in splitting the new-to-market, high-end stuff between Park Plaza, Midtown, and Promenade. I still don't think it's ideal, but the fact that they've all landed, and paired in what seems an appropriate manner is encouraging.

From Apple's earnings report today:

40 new retail stores in fiscal 2011, with nearly 3/4 outside of the U.S. (including a 5th store in China)

I guess by inference this implies that there will be about 10 new stores in the U.S. this year...I'm not sure where else they are being added.

Why isnt the Promenade doing more publicity about the new stores coming online? I would think that they would like to get the word out that this is not a dead shopping center because from what I hear everyone thinks this place is dead.

First, it's actually doing quite well as far as traffic (seems that way when I've been out there). Second, the reason they aren't promoting "Apple" is that Apple doesn't officially announce a store until it is open. And until that's official, the other tenants whose lease agreement is tied to their opening aren't likely to promote it either for the same reasons. Apple goes all Willy Wonka with their secrecy.

• 2 weeks later...

A children’s clothing store called Crazy 8, a brand that is part of the Gymboree Corporation, will locate in the Promenade, according to the Arkansas Department of Health’s engineering permit website.

Gymboree was one of the original tenants named. Wonder how many of these others will show up? (I pulled this list from the original Arkansas Times article that listed tenants.)

Outbuildings - DSW; Ethan Allen; Chili's; Dick's Sporting Goods, and Bravo

Primary buildings - Select Comfort, J. Crew, Bath and Body Works, Victoria's Secret, Limited Too, American Eagle, Aeropostale, Apple, Claire's, Finish Line, Maurice's, Hollister, Starbucks, White House Black Market, Coach, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor Loft, J. Jill, Coldwater Creek, Talbots, Gap, Mother's Work, Carter's, Gymboree