The Promenade At Chenal

Wasn't Dick's planned originally? Why would it be a big deal?

I don't see where Dick's Sporting Goods would go at the promenade. Isn't it a big store, like a Sports Authority?

Also, Select Comfort submitted a plumbing permit. They have had a 'coming soon' sign up for a LONG time.

Edited by Littlerock499

Dick's is a pretty large store, higher quality and would probably require higher volume than Promenade can support. Don't get me wrong, I've always been a fan of what Red is doing with Promenade, but I just don't see a Dick's getting the volume they'd need. I'd love to be wrong as I like that store.

A children’s clothing store called Crazy 8, a brand that is part of the Gymboree Corporation, will locate in the Promenade, according to the Arkansas Department of Health’s engineering permit website.

According to the Dept.'s website, Crazy 8 has an address that puts it in the same building as Ya Ya's (each building of the center has a different Chenal address). However, the permits also have Apple in that same building and I'm pretty sure there's not room for both there, so they may not be completely accurate.

Has J Crew started construction yet?.

I think if Dicks wanted to build a store where the Dillard's was suppose to go they could do that. I still think that spot is destined for a Macy's, however Dillard's will never let that happen.

Yes, construction of the new J.Crew began several weeks ago and appears to be going well. Likewise for Apple which is right next door.

Has J Crew started construction yet?.

I think if Dicks wanted to build a store where the Dillard's was suppose to go they could do that. I still think that spot is destined for a Macy's, however Dillard's will never let that happen.

I totally agree with the Macy's assessment. It would be nice if Macy's would locate and anchor the west end of Promenade and (would have located) at the old Cohn location at McCain Mall.

I totally agree with the Macy's assessment. It would be nice if Macy's would locate and anchor the west end of Promenade and (would have located) at the old Cohn location at McCain Mall.

I don't think the old Cohn location at McCain Mall was big enough for a Macy's.

I don't know how many people in Little Rock realize this, but the Dillard's stores in Little Rock are not near as nice and well kept as stores in other markets where Dillard's has competition with Macy's, Nordstrom, etc. When I worked for Dillard's I was surprised the Park Plaza location was called their "flagship" location, as it is nowhere near the nicest Dillard's in the chain. Some competition coming in would be great for the Little Rock retail market. Not only would there be more choices but Dillard's would be forced to show some pride in their home market.

I don't know how many people in Little Rock realize this, but the Dillard's stores in Little Rock are not near as nice and well kept as stores in other markets where Dillard's has competition with Macy's, Nordstrom, etc. When I worked for Dillard's I was surprised the Park Plaza location was called their "flagship" location, as it is nowhere near the nicest Dillard's in the chain. Some competition coming in would be great for the Little Rock retail market. Not only would there be more choices but Dillard's would be forced to show some pride in their home market.

I agree Chris...competition would be good. The Park Plaza store might have been a "flagship" back in 1989 when it opened, but I don't think the store has been significantly renovated since, even though the mall itself has...significantly.

This is true. Dillard's may call the Park Plaza store it's "flagship" store but it is pitiful when compared to the stores at North Park in Dallas and other "high-end" shopping areas. Dillards in other locales are much more nicer in appearance than the Park Plaza store and the selection of clothing is much more varied. It's always amazed me that a supposed "flagship" store doesn't even carry some of the clothing that its other stores do. For a long time, the Park Plaza Dillards reminded me of an outlet store as there were just as many "30-40-50% off" racks as there were "new" items.

This is true. Dillard's may call the Park Plaza store it's "flagship" store but it is pitiful when compared to the stores at North Park in Dallas and other "high-end" shopping areas. Dillards in other locales are much more nicer in appearance than the Park Plaza store and the selection of clothing is much more varied. It's always amazed me that a supposed "flagship" store doesn't even carry some of the clothing that its other stores do. For a long time, the Park Plaza Dillards reminded me of an outlet store as there were just as many "30-40-50% off" racks as there were "new" items.

Agreed. When I lived in Little Rock, I wasn't impressed with Dillard's at all and never shopped there. The Park Plaza store is so disorganized, run down, packed full of junk, and some of the staff is extremely unfriendly to top it off. The McCain store the last time I was in there looked more like a JC Penney. Here in Charlotte, Dillard's is like an entirely different store. It's actually nicer than Macy's if you can believe it. Its no wonder people in Little Rock don't really care for Dillard's. They have their HQ in Little Rock but other than that they have basically given their home market the middle finger. Dillard's also doesn't give back to the local community the way Alltel/Windstream and Axciom do.

I wonder if Chilli's still coming to the Promenade. It was also part of the original tenants mentioned. Also, what about Lucky Brand and Nike? Lucky Brand submit a plumbing application for the Promenade two years ago, but I don't know if they still plan to open a store there. It would be nice if Fossil, Urban Outfitters, Godiva locate there.

Any word on a tenant/restaurant to replace Blanc? or Do they still have plans to locate in the space they had begun working on?

In today's Demozette (and this week's Arkansas Times) there is word that Scott McGee will be opening Big Orange in the Blanc space. It's a new concept featuring gourmet burgers, salads similar to ZaZa's and milkshakes, along with a good selection of wine and beer. It won't be counter service like ZaZa's, but will instead have a wait staff that uses electronic devices to turn in orders while they're still at the table and also process credit card payments without leaving the table.

To me, it seems like a good addition to the center. It should be pretty casual and a nice way to fill up what was a bothersome shell of a space.

Nike submitted a plumbing permit for a factory store at the promenade.

Great news to this center. With Apple, J. Crew, Nike, and Anthropologie this center have no problem attracting other retailers/ restaurants (Fossil, Urban Outfitters, California Pizza Kitchen) as well as more foot traffic to this shopping center. I believe this can be a destination center to the city if not the state.

Edited by ecity3138

• 2 weeks later...

From a close source to the Promenade construction...

Apple should open around August 20th! JCrew should open about a month later.

Good news for this center!

Did they know anything about The Wine Loft? It looks ready to occupy, but they seemed to have stopped work, kind of like Blanc did.

Did they know anything about The Wine Loft? It looks ready to occupy, but they seemed to have stopped work, kind of like Blanc did.

I'll see what I can find out about the Wine Loft.

I believe that Scott McGehee (Boulevard Bread Co.) is in negotiation with the Promenade about the Blanc Burgers spot. He plans to put some type of restaurant...

Also, Flirt has opened. It is on the Chenal Blvd. side of the center. My wife says there is one in Tulsa. It must be a regional chain.

Edited by jnholmes

I'll see what I can find out about the Wine Loft.

I believe that Scott McGehee (Boulevard Bread Co.) is in negotiation with the Promenade about the Blanc Burgers spot. He plans to put some type of restaurant...

Also, Flirt has opened. It is on the Chenal Blvd. side of the center. My wife says there is one in Tulsa. It must be a regional chain.

Here's the info about ORANGE, the new restaurant from Scott McGehee.

Orange

The Promenade's website lists these stores as coming soon: The Wine Loft, Select Comfort, J. Crew, W by Azwell(??), Warren's Shoes(which is weird because aren't they located at Pleasant Ridge? Are they moving?), Big Orange, Crazy 8, and Perfume Max.

Ate at The Tavern this weekend. Don't expect it to be there long. The food was actually decent, people who had the ribs liked them a lot and the burger got good reviews, too. The cheese dip not so much. However there is no ambiance at all and the place was about 1/3 full on a Saturday night. It's way to cavernous and sterile to make me want to go back. It's a shame because it's fills a different niche than the rest of the places in the Promenade.

• 4 weeks later...

Rode my bike through the Promenade and saw lots of construction activity. The work is still going on at the J Crew/Apple area. They were putting up walls to also block off that corner store, so I don't know if J Crew and Apple are taking all of that building or if a third store is going there. BTW, the Fitness place is gone, but there was construction activity in its old space, too.

Directly across the parking lot, there was more construction going on next to RK Collections.

The door was open at Big Orange, but couldn't tell how much activity was going on at the time.

The space next to the Justice store is where W by Azell will be going. They had a sign up on two sections of that vacant space, which is pretty sizeable.

Select Comfort has their sign up and their doors and windows complete, paper was still on the windows.

Looks like there may also be activity next to Ya Ya's, but I couldn't tell. The temporary wall didn't go all the way to the top like it does in storefronts that are empty.

There were also some survey stakes up by Chenal at that exit onto Chenal that doesn't have a light at it. Not sure if that means someone has bought the outparcel or not. This could be where the rumored McDonald's is going.

Looks like the center could look quite different by fall.