The Promenade At Chenal

Tried Big Orange last night and was very impressed with the burgers. Had the spicy one and dining companions tried the Truffle one. We were all impressed. Truffle fries were just okay. I'll get the chips next time. Only bad thing was that the shake machine went out while we were there so we couldn't get one for dessert. Our waiter said they had done about 500 that day and it died. Not sure how long that will be for.

Walked around afterward and the center had an energy I've never seen there before. The Apple store was packed. People were actually shopping and roaming from store to store. With the opening of the J Crew store and the Nike store (which looks to be huge, it is taking over all the empty space in that building), that should make it even better. I wish for more men's clothes shopping, but other than that, it's a definite improvement for the center.

I noticed that on Friday too. With Apple open there was a lot of activity in that corner (and it helps that it's a new addition), but the mall on whole seemed busier than normal. There were a bunch of people at Big Orange and the Tavern was very active too. I was (once again) supremely disappointed by the movie theater (I'm not going back there for anything other than IMAX from now on), but it's nice to see the mall doing more business and I look forward to J. Crew and Nike opening. That will finally give me a reason to go out there and shop anyway, currently the mall is almost all women's clothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumor is J. Crew could open as early as tomorrow (9/20/11). Not sure how accurate that date is, but I will say the store looked very close to opening on Saturday. I would bet any day in the next 1-2 weeks and it should be open.

Also the center looked great this weekend. I went by to see the J. Crew progress and finally drop by the Apple store. It was way larger and nicer than I expected we would get!

I had the pleasure of having dinner at Big Orange this past Friday. The food was delicious. My burger was cooked to perfection and topped with harvarti cheese, mushrooms and caramelized onions. I didn't try the fries because a friend had suggested I skip them to make room for a shake. I tried the lemon ice box shake topped with whipped cream and crumbled graham cracker crust... simply amazing. The waiter was also very pleasant and helpful. I can't wait to return.

I walked by J Crew after dinner and I'd suspect the store will be open within the next week or so. Earlier in the week a friend mentioned that she saw a group of people leaving the store late one afternoon (most likely new employees leaving training).

Email from JCrew went out today confirming the store is now open.

I went out to J Crew today and picked up a couple things. A few thoughts about the store:

- It's smaller than I expected. The corner location gives it good visibility but the Men's section is very small (less than half the size of the women's section, which is indicative of the Promenade's biggest problem in my opinion) and the store itself is none too large. It's nice to have them in the market, I just wish they were a bit larger or had more than one location so that they could offer a bigger variety of items.

- Service was excellent. The store seems very well staffed for its size and people were always offering to help.

- The store design is pleasant overall and the dressing rooms are quite nice (they're actual rooms, none of this half door or partially open business like most places do).

- It wasn't very busy. I was surprised that the place wasn't swamped with it being opening day, but maybe its opening wasn't advertised very well or being there right after people get off work was a lull in business.

I went out to J Crew today and picked up a couple things. A few thoughts about the store: - It's smaller than I expected. The corner location gives it good visibility but the Men's section is very small (less than half the size of the women's section, which is indicative of the Promenade's biggest problem in my opinion) and the store itself is none too large. It's nice to have them in the market, I just wish they were a bit larger or had more than one location so that they could offer a bigger variety of items. - Service was excellent. The store seems very well staffed for its size and people were always offering to help. - The store design is pleasant overall and the dressing rooms are quite nice (they're actual rooms, none of this half door or partially open business like most places do). - It wasn't very busy. I was surprised that the place wasn't swamped with it being opening day, but maybe its opening wasn't advertised very well or being there right after people get off work was a lull in business.

I planned on going out there last night but didn't get around to it. I hope to make it out there tonight. I'm disappointed already based on your description of the size of the store and, particularly, the men's department. Men's departments are almost always less than half the size of the women's departments, though.

The Promenade updated their Facebook page with a list of current and coming soon tenants. McDonald's was listed as Coming Soon. No date was given, however. I also noticed that the Wine Loft was not listed, although it is still on their web page. I think that may be DOA. Which is a shame because the space looks almost finished. Maybe someone else will take it over and open it, similar to how Big Orange came from what was supposed to be Blanc Burgers and Bottles.

Edited by adman0468

• 2 weeks later...
I went out to J Crew today and picked up a couple things. A few thoughts about the store: - It's smaller than I expected. The corner location gives it good visibility but the Men's section is very small (less than half the size of the women's section, which is indicative of the Promenade's biggest problem in my opinion) and the store itself is none too large. It's nice to have them in the market, I just wish they were a bit larger or had more than one location so that they could offer a bigger variety of items. - Service was excellent. The store seems very well staffed for its size and people were always offering to help. - The store design is pleasant overall and the dressing rooms are quite nice (they're actual rooms, none of this half door or partially open business like most places do). - It wasn't very busy. I was surprised that the place wasn't swamped with it being opening day, but maybe its opening wasn't advertised very well or being there right after people get off work was a lull in business.

I made it out to JCrew Thursday night. You are correct. The men's department is tiny. It took about 3 minutes to see everything in the department. Quite disappointed. I was hoping this was a reason to go to the Promenade more often. Sadly, it's not. Other than the movie theater, there still doesn't seem to be a draw to me. DSW, maybe but I can do just as well at Dillards.

I made it out to JCrew Thursday night. You are correct. The men's department is tiny. It took about 3 minutes to see everything in the department. Quite disappointed. I was hoping this was a reason to go to the Promenade more often. Sadly, it's not. Other than the movie theater, there still doesn't seem to be a draw to me. DSW, maybe but I can do just as well at Dillards.

Yeah, it isn't going to be the reason for me to frequent the mall, but it at least gives me a reason to go all the way out there from time to time now. If I had known the J Crew was going to be that small I would have much preferred to see it at Park Plaza and hope the Promenade could lure in something larger. Oh well, nice to have them in the market.

I also despise that movie theater. Other than an IMAX it has nothing going for it. Old projection technology, no atmosphere of any sort, poor customer service (a projector bulb went out part way though a movie and we couldn't find anyone in the entire place to report it to... 20 minutes later someone came around and fixed it), and prices that aren't cheap enough to justify the lack of better technology or atmosphere. I would always pick the Rave over the Chenal theater given the choice, I've just gone to the Chenal one a few times due to showtimes fitting with the evening's schedule better and once for the IMAX.

I went to the J Crew store today. I was not disappointed with the size. It does't seem any smaller than the Jackson, MS or Memphis, TN store. It is configured differently but it has everything that the other stores have. I'm so glad that they have entered our market. Huge gain for LR! BTW, I went by the Apple store around 11:30 a.m. today too. It was surprisingly full of people milling about. The center's parking was full as well.

The Apple Store was burglarized last night. I kind of saw this coming. http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article.aspx?aID=128676.54928.140818

Does the Promenade not have a nighttime security officer or anything? It seems like with the time it would take to bust in and steal things that alarms would be going off and at least bring a security car running to check it out. Response time shouldn't take long, the mall isn't that big after all.

Unbelievable. And...what poor timing. What do you mean by you "kind of saw this coming."?

Agree, what horrible timing. All I meant by that was that it has an all glass front with no security gate or anything in an open air mall, and with the incredible amount of valuable stuff in there, it just seems like a prime target. Apple Stores have been getting robbed all over the U.S. That's why they have been adding security gates to the stores. Then there is the fact that crime rate is high in Little Rock.

Edited by Littlerock499

• 2 weeks later...

I saw some site survey workers out on the back side of the Promenade this past week? They were working around the wooded area behind the center. Are there any rumors going around town?

Also, any news going on about the vacant lots around the center? I know McDonald's is going in on one. What about the rest? and btw, why were they allowed to go in here? Why not by Kroger?

This isn't necessarily related to the Promenade, but I asked a manager at Pei Wei when (or if) they planned more locations in central Arkansas, as I had heard originally from the manager at P.F. Changs that there were plans to do so. This person told me that their next expansion, currently underway, will be in Rogers, and that they then plan to expand further in the Little Rock area. I would think Promenade would be an ideal location.

• 2 months later...

Drove through the Promenade last night. It was pretty busy for a weeknight in January. Francesca's looks like it will be ready to open by February. I saw no construction on the McDonald's site yet. And, if the Pei Wei rumors are true, I could imagine a couple of places for it to go. Most likely would be next to Kenneth Edwards, across from Coldwater Creek. I could also see them taking over the stillborn Wine Loft location. Or possibly an outparcel, although I don't know if that chain does those.

I'm ready to hear of more stores for this shopping center. It still needs another half-dozen or so before it starts to feel somewhat full.

I'd love to see development of the potential site to the west as an anchor department store...but I don't see that happening for several years until this development is in full swing and demanding more traffic and space.

If a department store were to locate there, I would think it would want to be better connected to the center. I could see two new buildings for retail being built behind J Crew and Kay Jewelers that would extend across the parking lot to the department store's main entrance. Of course the rest of the center would have to be full for this to be viable.

You're right, it's several years away, at least.