The Promenade At Chenal

I hadn't heard that about Dunlap's. I wonder if they are planning on going into another development elsewhere or just abandoning LR altogether.

Dunlaps is going out of business altogether. The question now is, what junior-anchor-size retailer comparable to Dunlaps (or what Dunlaps had morphed MM Cohn into) could potentially enter the Shackleford Crossing site? Kohl's is already in the market, waiting patiently behind Bale Chevy/Honda for build-out of a shopping center that still hasn't happened. Belk, which will take over Parisian's reins at Pleasant Ridge, wouldn't likely go in, by virtue of wanting to maintain Little Rock as a different kind of market for itself than, say, Conway. It's a tough call, and one comparable to determining what will fill the vacuum left by closing MM Cohn in Searcy, North Little Rock, and El Dorado.

Dunlaps is going out of business altogether. The question now is, what junior-anchor-size retailer comparable to Dunlaps (or what Dunlaps had morphed MM Cohn into) could potentially enter the Shackleford Crossing site? Kohl's is already in the market, waiting patiently behind Bale Chevy/Honda for build-out of a shopping center that still hasn't happened. Belk, which will take over Parisian's reins at Pleasant Ridge, wouldn't likely go in, by virtue of wanting to maintain Little Rock as a different kind of market for itself than, say, Conway. It's a tough call, and one comparable to determining what will fill the vacuum left by closing MM Cohn in Searcy, North Little Rock, and El Dorado.

World Market should be going somewhere in LR soon, that would be a good fit. They might like a site in a little more upscale development better.

I know we have talked about JCrew as a possible tenant for the Promenade in the past. We were in Memphis yesterday and made a trip to Saddle Creek where JCrew is located in Memphis. I spoke with the store manager about the possible opening of a LR store and she told me that the JCrew real estate people have made several trips to LR recently to scout locations and she said she would not be surprised if they announced a store opening soon. She said JCrew is in a growth mode and are looking to add locations. She said she gets a lot of people coming to the store from LR asking about a store here and she said she communicated that to the real estate people when the were in Memphis visiting.

Also, the Apple Store in Saddle Creek is open (large 5ft versions of the IPhone in the windows). I think there were some questions about its status in the past.

Regarding "Apple" as a possible tenant - I did a little additional online research - see the following links with additional insight.

Scroll almost to the bottom of this link (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/chronology.html) and you'll find this:

Promenade at Chenal - Little Rock (AR) - A new 330,000 square-foot, open-air lifestyle center being built by RED Development on the city's west side. The architecture is French gothic, and the tenant list includes common Apple neighbors. Mall scheduled to open Spring 2008. Tenant listed posted May 2007 with "Apple" listed.

Also, check this out from the same site (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/03/01/apple-store-comes-to-middle-america/), that states Little Rock is now one of the 20 largest metros without an Apple Store:

Attention in America

Regarding "Apple" as a possible tenant - I did a little additional online research - see the following links with additional insight.

Scroll almost to the bottom of this link (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/chronology.html) and you'll find this:

Promenade at Chenal - Little Rock (AR) - A new 330,000 square-foot, open-air lifestyle center being built by RED Development on the city's west side. The architecture is French gothic, and the tenant list includes common Apple neighbors. Mall scheduled to open Spring 2008. Tenant listed posted May 2007 with "Apple" listed.

Also, check this out from the same site (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/03/01/apple-store-comes-to-middle-america/), that states Little Rock is now one of the 20 largest metros without an Apple Store:

Attention in America

Attention in America

If you build it, they will come...

Agreed

If Promenade pulls some of the rumored tenants then I don't think its location will be a problem. Hwy 10 and Chenal Parkway seem to get busier and busier so unless this center becomes another mostly-vacant lot I think it will do well.

Edited by shcwilj

• 2 weeks later...

What are the rumored tenants that will be coming?

I don't have the full list handy but there will some tenants new to the area - Dick's Sporting Goods, Coach, Apple, and J Crew are known. It's assumed there will be some other newcomers to the state as well, hopefully some nice restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...

As I drove by the promenade site I noticed one of the signs for the construction company, VCC. I went to their website, vccusa.com, and looked at some of their past projects. Wow! This company does some nice work! If the promenade looks anything like some of their past projects we look to be in really good shape. I just wish there was more room to work with. Go check out their web site to check out what we may have to look forward to.

As I drove by the promenade site I noticed one of the signs for the construction company, VCC. I went to their website, vccusa.com, and looked at some of their past projects. Wow! This company does some nice work! If the promenade looks anything like some of their past projects we look to be in really good shape. I just wish there was more room to work with. Go check out their web site to check out what we may have to look forward to.

VCC is the contractor, not the architect...so they have no direct bearing on the type or design quality of a project. They have however been a part of numerous high-profile retail projects across the country, such as Atlantic Station in Atlanta.

Does this mean we'll see new design for the whole center?

Or will this be in addition to what was already to be built?

The quotes from the ArkDemGaz yesterday seemed to indicate that there was no need for a new design and that the current design will be used and this added to it.

The quotes from the ArkDemGaz yesterday seemed to indicate that there was no need for a new design and that the current design will be used and this added to it.

I read the article after I wrote that. Yeah, it sounds like only a small portion of the West side of the development will be changed and that part is actually across the Rahling Road extension from the rest of the development anyway (that part would've been separated).

That said, I think there must be a significant revision of the plan based on what we're seeing in the sitework and the drawing on the signage so I'm eager to see what Red's done with the project since the initial drawings.