The Promenade At Chenal

I noticed the Dick's Sporting Goods sponsorship, too, and wondered the same thing. Or, if they perhaps had some designs on skipping Little Rock in favor of Conway Commons. Keep in mind that the closest thing to a Sports Authority in that city currently is its two Hibbett Sports stores, which really would be more like Foot Locker. The other perhaps unlikely scenario that came to mind was the possibility of Dick's replacing MM Cohn at McCain Mall (with considerable expansion of said space).

Back to The Promenade

I noticed the Dick's Sporting Goods sponsorship, too, and wondered the same thing. Or, if they perhaps had some designs on skipping Little Rock in favor of Conway Commons. Keep in mind that the closest thing to a Sports Authority in that city currently is its two Hibbett Sports stores, which really would be more like Foot Locker. The other perhaps unlikely scenario that came to mind was the possibility of Dick's replacing MM Cohn at McCain Mall (with considerable expansion of said space).

Back to The Promenade

• 2 weeks later...

Today's DOG, Newest shopping center for LR signs up tenants

The article does not mention anything we don't already know. The IMAX theater is what I am most excited about. Other than that, nothing mentioned gives me a reason to go there.

Note to Architect: An Apple Store is not mentioned as part of the tenant line-up. Ouch! (I'm a PC guy, but this would have given me another reason to go.)

UPDATE: Coach says it does not plan to locate a store in LR for at least 2 years.

Edited by turboturtle

The article does not mention anything we don't already know. The IMAX theater is what I am most excited about. Other than that, nothing mentioned gives me a reason to go there.

Note to Architect: An Apple Store is not mentioned as part of the tenant line-up. Ouch! (I'm a PC guy, but this would have given me another reason to go.)

UPDATE: Coach says it does not plan to locate a store in LR for at least 2 years.

I wonder if Park Ave is stealing tenants. Honestly, I think Coach and Apple would fit better there. I sure wouldn't wait two years and pass on both this and Park Ave.

A couple of comments:

1 - First, only 38 tenants total? That's it!? Goodness, more evidence that a preponderance of centers has resulted in a lack of real gravity for any....(anyone seen The Summit?)

2 - If Apple is indeed coming to the market - this development or some other - it will be announced by Apple, not the developer. That's just how they work.

3 - Coach. Hmmm....so, there's a Roger's store (what's that...population of 50,000 max?), but LR isn't on their radar? Either there is a fundamental problem with the retail market in Little Rock, or there's something I don't know...again, it could be the lack of a significant developmet, like Pinnacle Promenade. Also, turbobettle's summary makes it sound like something IS planned in 2 years, but the quote in the article states in summarizing the response from Coach that they have "...no plans to put a store in Little Rock within the next two years."

4 - I'm not so sure there is much potential overlap between the Promenade and Park Avenue....the Promenade, because of its geographical distance can duplicate many of Park Plaza's tenants. Midtowne and likewise Park Avenue will have to pull "new" or otherwise new to midtown LR tenants that differentiate from Park Plaza....like Target, Borders, Apple, etc...

5 - Nice catch in J Crew...let's hope there are others.

• 4 weeks later...

There is no hoping to it...Apple has applied for and recieved a plumbing permit. They are going in.

Terrific.

Regarding the 38 tenants, don't you guys think they'll build this in phases? There's still a large tract of land behind it that was initially supposed to be part of the project when Dillard's was included. I bet if they fill all the retail space that additional buildings are added there.

Lets hope so, especially with CompUSA closing in January.

What?! I knew CompUSA was in trouble, but I like that store! They shut about 1/3 of them down across the country but LR was spared. Oh well, the entrance of Apple would have really been a nail in the coffin.

For those that thought Apple was questionable for this center, it is listed on the plumbing review...so I would say that is 100% official.... J-Crew is listed as well.

Awesome!

What?! I knew CompUSA was in trouble, but I like that store! They shut about 1/3 of them down across the country but LR was spared. Oh well, the entrance of Apple would have really been a nail in the coffin.

Yeah, me too. I like it because it has more for higher-end computer users while Best Buy focuses solely on the low-end users who want the cheapest thing possible. CompUSA is shutting down all its remaining stores after Christmas, not just LR.

Edited by bchris02

For those that thought Apple was questionable for this center, it is listed on the plumbing review...so I would say that is 100% official.... J-Crew is listed as well.

An Apple store meets the threshold for me to make a visit to Promenade. I've never been to an Apple store, so I look forward to it. I'm a de facto PC guy because Macs are not used in the data processing environment. That said, I've always admired Apple's design-work.

I understand the significance of an Apple Store in terms of its placement higher up "Maslow's heirarchy" for a City's local retail environment than a CompUSA store. However, what is the meaning when a new retail establishment replaces a not-so-old one? I remember when Just For Feet went out of business. The building stayed vacant for a long time. Now there is a store there that I will probably never set foot in. And the northern part of the Bowman corridor, it is nearly decimated by Pleasant Ridge. What what will come of the CompUSA building?

I understand the significance of an Apple Store in terms of its placement higher up "Maslow's heirarchy" for a City's local retail environment than a CompUSA store. However, what is the meaning when a new retail establishment replaces a not-so-old one? I remember when Just For Feet went out of business. The building stayed vacant for a long time. Now there is a store there that I will probably never set foot in. And the northern part of the Bowman corridor, it is nearly decimated by Pleasant Ridge. What what will come of the CompUSA building?

A bigger question than that is what happens to the existing Wal-Mart on Bowman when it moves to Shackelford Crossing?

The Apple Store at Woodland Hills in Tulsa is a pretty nice store. They even had computers set up for children to play kiddie games. It was actually pretty neat. They have a bunch of accessories and everything. Glad to hear that J Crew and Apple are coming Little Rock.

I haven't been to the Tulsa Apple Store, but we were in Birmingham a few months ago just days/weeks after their store opened, and it was quite nice...what I expect to see in Little Rock (similar, open air lifestyle center). I'm pumped Apple is coming, though I still question the viability of this center because of its remoteness. Don't get me wrong, I hope it does GREAT but I'm concerned its too far off the primary freeway system to be a regional draw....

The Apple Store at Woodland Hills in Tulsa is a pretty nice store. They even had computers set up for children to play kiddie games. It was actually pretty neat. They have a bunch of accessories and everything. Glad to hear that J Crew and Apple are coming Little Rock.

Apple store is a huge milestone for LR. Its one of the major stores the market is lacking. I wish we could land a store like Fry's, MicroCenter, or PC Club in LR, but that is probably a long shot as those stores are usually only in major markets. Anybody think that with CompUSA closing, larger tech chains will find a niche in mid-sized metros?

I'm pumped Apple is coming, though I still question the viability of this center because of its remoteness. Don't get me wrong, I hope it does GREAT but I'm concerned its too far off the primary freeway system to be a regional draw....

Wouldn't all these retailers not invest in this center, especially with the economy turning sour, if they didn't think it was sustainable?