Colorado Photo of the Day

RestedTraveler

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kinda dissapointed... we got like 6" of snow last night in my neighborhood and I went out and took some nice pictures in my backyard around 6:30 a.m. The only problem, my camera is cheap and there wasn't quite enough sunlight yet... and I was shivering because I had a t-shirt and no coat. (Like I alway's say, it may be cold... but at least it's not hot!) The result? A batch of blurry pictures. I might be able to salvage one or two later tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Denver is an anomaly when it comes to Western U.S. cities. I don't know enough about the cities history to understand why it's developed the way it has. As I've said before. Without Denver, Colorado would just be another Wyoming.

I don't know that people in the west... places like Phoenix... are anti-growth. Clearly they are not. They are anti-urban... anti-density. Sad, but true. As the mayor of a Colorado Springs suburb once said. This is the west. We don't HAVE to live on top of eachother like they do back east. That's just the attitude out here.

Except in Denver for some reason.

Edited by Front_Range_Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Denver is an anomaly when it comes to Western U.S. cities. I don't know enough about the cities history to understand why it's developed the way it has. As I've said before. Without Denver, Colorado would just be another Wyoming.

I don't know that people in the west... places like Phoenix... are anti-growth. Clearly they are not. They are anti-urban... anti-density. Sad, but true. As the mayor of a Colorado Springs suburb once said. This is the west. We don't HAVE to live on top of eachother like they do back east. That's just the attitude out here.

Except in Denver for some reason.

Denver has a pretty rough history with their development. Quite a few periods way back in the day on 0 or negative growth in the downtoan area kept Denver from pretty much going haywire with high-rise. denver is pretty old though, goin back before colorado was a state (which btw I saw a interesting picture of the original entrance into the city with a cool gate that spanned acorss the street. Cant remember what it said, but.....interesting) Denver, as of right now, has a pretty nice skyline in comparison to other cities. Its not too hectic looking like NYC and Chicago and not too sparse like LA or Phoenix. If they keep building like crazy, that would change of course.

Almost without exception, any American city that was large by 1900, say 100,000+ in population, has a dense/compact downtown today. This is due to that pre-automobile phenom in which people had to stay close for cities to be effective. (Notably, Denver was larger than Los Angeles up until this century which partially explains why LA's DT appears smaller than Denver's, though LA's earthquake proneness is another factor).

• 5 months later...

I love that city.

This must be a fairly recent pic, based on the progress on 1LP on the left side of the image.

I can't wait for the Four Seasons to start rising above most of the rest of the skyline!

I went to the Museum of Contemporary Art last week. They have a deck on the roof that over looks the construction site of a 20 something story office building. It was amazing. If I didn't have my suburban minded friend who wanted to go to Park Meadows Mall with me, I could have spent all day taking in the city.

If I didn't have my suburban minded friend who wanted to go to Park Meadows Mall with me, I could have spent all day taking in the city.

I'm the same way, although Mrs. RT is more suburban-minded than I am. This is one of the reasons that Stapleton is looking so attractive to us...it's a nice blend of both.

This photo is a composite of a few different elements (multiple exposures for HDR and also the inset of the full moon), but it's still pretty cool.

I thought I'd start posting some photos to get this thread moving and I plan to try to keep it up. I'm being very careful to select only photos available under Creative Commons license. I know how protective photographers (such as myself) can be of their work, so it's nice to see a few photogs out that way who offer their work up under CC with no strings attached. I may do the same thing with some of my own photos once I've relocated...I've just had problems with them being "borrowed" without permission too often here, for whatever reason, so I've got my own work locked down for now.

I live about 3 blocks east of the tracks. Coal trains are constantly passing through. Honestly, I'm so used to the blast of the horns that I hardly notice it anymore. It's comforting in a way.

Side note -

There is actually a study planned to explore the impacts of moving the tracks east of the I-25 corridor. There have been past proposals to use the tracks for passenger rail between Fort Collins and Pueblo. Read between the lines. I don't necessarily see that it's necessary, though I would use it... but it seems the idea is getting some real consideration.

They need to do something about I-70 between Denver and the ski resorts first.

Anyway, here's a website for the primary group pushing for passenger rail on the Front Range. Looking at the map, it seems their plan has become more ambitious since I last checked in.

Edited by Front_Range_Guy