Fifth Street Pedscape / Ivey's Building Retail Improvements

ScottCLT

So... we have more hotel rooms, which is nice... but still another lost opportunity for retail. Not nice. 

When will these developers realize that people want something to do other than eat and get wasted?

I don't think the lack of retail is a huge negative for people that live in Charlotte. Virtually everyone, even those that live uptown, have a car and South Park and Northlake are both close by. 

Where it really hurts is people that are visiting. My boss and his wife visited our Charlotte office a couple years back and they were asking why there wasn't anywhere to shop in uptown. If you're in town on business for several days and don't have a car rental, Charlotte would be a pretty awful place to be.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a wasted opportunity if everything panned out as we'd hoped...but I'm not sure it would. The 5th street entrance and wider sidewalk is nice, but admittedly, the result we got feels more like a hotel and restaurant entrance than the row of storefronts I had envisioned. In the short term retail would probably struggle here, as the 2nd floor spaces in Iveys always have. So I'm kind of ambivalent on this.

I am disappointed by this, but frankly Tryon is never going to be a retail oriented street.  Most of Tryon are large bank entrances and restaurants that aren't going anywhere.  I'm dying for retail as much as anyone, but I think Tryon is kind of a last cause.  I'd rather see another street (I guess not Brevard, but maybe College?) develop into our "retail row".

I don't think the lack of retail is a huge negative for people that live in Charlotte. Virtually everyone, even those that live uptown, have a car and South Park and Northlake are both close by. 

Where it really hurts is people that are visiting. My boss and his wife visited our Charlotte office a couple years back and they were asking why there wasn't anywhere to shop in uptown. If you're in town on business for several days and don't have a car rental, Charlotte would be a pretty awful place to be.

And that's exactly my point... It's easier to me, for example, to head over to SouthPark than it would be for uptown to do shopping. However, if someone is in town for a concert, game or business, they need a car if they need to get around to do something other than eat and drink. 

I am disappointed by this, but frankly Tryon is never going to be a retail oriented street.  Most of Tryon are large bank entrances and restaurants that aren't going anywhere.  I'm dying for retail as much as anyone, but I think Tryon is kind of a last cause.  I'd rather see another street (I guess not Brevard, but maybe College?) develop into our "retail row".

I agree that Tryon is a lost cause in this respect as well, but I feel like Trade presents good potential as it will have the streetcar, has available land still (west of the Square and across from the arena) and has good anchors on either side. Again this is long term, but imagine it with the Arena, CPCC, and Novant Presbyterian in the east, and then Gateway Station, Johnson & Wales, and Gateway Village to the west. There is still hope, albeit fading, but there is still the ability to get it right before its too late... 

I think Tryon St could still be a retail street. I think the City and CCCP aren't aggressive enough in encouraging the banks and owner/operators of the towers to retrofit their buildings. We're seeing this happen gradually (ie: Charlotte Plaza, BofA Plaza) but it needs to happen everywhere in order for the change to be meaningful.

And for the love of God we don't need every single space to be filled by a high end restaurant.

IMO Gateway Station was the perfect project/solution for the uptown retail hub and would tie in so well with the 'outdoor stroll-able social-playground 3rd ward has become'

A huge problem is that we have no 'Main Street' style store-fronts to facilitate stroll-able retail area so something has to be built from scratch for the most part.

Which usually translates to the same tired, cold and sterile urban-center multi-level mall... (I want to vomit and tear it down just think about it being built)

I think uptown really needs something special for retail, a real drawing card for the city and even the region.

Something special. with charterer... like a department store of the late 19th, early 20th century..

Something like a Harrods of London.. A single amazing flagship, full service,department store not found anywhere else.
It would be an entire weekend shopping experience to draw them in, a non-sporting or business even reason to grab a hotel room nearby for a night.
I'm sure something like this would be a huge regional draw and a highlight of anyone's stay in uptown.

harrods.jpg

Although finding interest-in and sourcing equity for a project like this would be next to impossible.

It's just that we are trying to fill uptown with great things, and there is nothing great about building an urban-mall.

I would hate for something like Norfolk's Macarthur Center to be built in uptown, then you just move shoppers from one mall to another and they have absolutely no interaction with the street or rest of the city.

While I do understand and appreciate the concern anout lost space there is a silver lining. Hotels bring consumers, and they are consumers with more disposalble income than residents. Thousands of new hotel rooms will (eventually) bring retailers to cater to the visitors.

As a bigger, meta question, I'll ask: why do we all think that retail is so important for uptown? How, exactly, does its presence benefit urbanism? Are there other, more efficient, ways to achieve the same goal? (These are devil's advocate questions. I do understand the standard reasons, but the retail landscape is changing quickly, I am not certain uptown retail is as important as it once was.)

Retail is important because it adds attractions and makes Charlotte a more attractive for businesses (when they have a lively place), helps draws tourist, conventions etc.

People start to want to move towards uptown if they can shop, eat, entertainment without having to get in a car, go to target, go to SouthPark, etc. That defeats the Purpose of urban living if you can't even buy basic supplies in center city.

Plus it brings in more mixed incomes. I'm not eating at Capitol grill or anywhere expensive period unless its like Valentines day.... Even then, I rather not go to Ruth's nor Chima's and spend money on attractions, shopping etc. Fancy restraunts eats too much into my disposable income.

IMO Gateway Station was the perfect project/solution for the uptown retail hub and would tie in so well with the 'outdoor stroll-able social-playground 3rd ward has become'

A huge problem is that we have no 'Main Street' style store-fronts to facilitate stroll-able retail area so something has to be built from scratch for the most part.

Which usually translates to the same tired, cold and sterile urban-center multi-level mall... (I want to vomit and tear it down just think about it being built)

I think uptown really needs something special for retail, a real drawing card for the city and even the region.

Something special. with charterer... like a department store of the late 19th, early 20th century..

Something like a Harrods of London.. A single amazing flagship, full service,department store not found anywhere else.

It would be an entire weekend shopping experience to draw them in, a non-sporting or business even reason to grab a hotel room nearby for a night.

I'm sure something like this would be a huge regional draw and a highlight of anyone's stay in uptown.

harrods.jpg

Although finding interest-in and sourcing equity for a project like this would be next to impossible.

It's just that we are trying to fill uptown with great things, and there is nothing great about building an urban-mall.

I would hate for something like Norfolk's Macarthur Center to be built in uptown, then you just move shoppers from one mall to another and they have absolutely no interaction with the street or rest of the city.

harrods.jpg

I would be happy with a Selfridges or a Marks and Spencers. Seriously, Belks uptown was a great place with at least four floors, restaurants and a mezanine (however it is spelled)  with a grand piano.

Finding a lot with a big enough footprint could be a challenge, but a complex with multiple large retailers has worked well in other cities. DC USA in the Columbia Heights neighborhood of DC combines Marshall's. Best Buy, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Modell's Sporting Goods, and I believe a shoe store in a two story building, along with some other stores and restaurants facing outward. This is similar to Metropolitan, but without apartments and perhaps targeting a lower price point. This could act as a great anchor for development on the north or east sides of Uptown as it draws from other neighborhoods and encourages development nearby. Alternatively, Mast General has found success operating as the de facto department store in smaller cities like Columbia, Greenville, and Asheville. Charlotte does not have the historic facades that these cities do (other than the Ivey),but something of that scale may be feasible with Uptown's relatively small population at the moment.

• 8 months later...

https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=14LDR&capID2=00000&capID3=00157

Ivey Boutique Hotel
• Detailed Scope of Work: The site is located on N. Tryon Street. The existing building consists of 6 stories, with an underground basement parking garage. The 1st and 2nd floors are existing tenant (restaurant & business) occupancies. The 3rd-6th floors are privately owned condos. The building is split in half, one side consists of the tenant and condo units, and the other is occupied by an atrium extending the height of the building. We are proposing to renovate the first floor vacant tenant space (A-2) into the lobby and restaurant for the hotel, with a main entry off of 5th street. The second floor (A-2/ B existing) would then become 46 hotel rooms (R-1) with a Spa/Gym. An interior stair connecting the lobby to the second floor is also proposed. • Additional Comments: -Questions concerning window/ facade modifications (windows are existing, just being modified slightly) - will .5 parking spaces be required per hotel room even if this is just a renovation. - how many spaces will be required for valet - valet cut into existing 15' wide sidewalk

Its sorta lackluster, to me, going from retail and rumors of Urban Outfitters with the Ghost Wheelbarrow to a lobby and hotel restaraunt. At least there is a "main eatery" off 5th.

An improvement is an improvement though.hopefully Independence Center and/or BoA Plaza makes up for my fantasy.

• 4 weeks later...

The boutique hotel has an inspection that's in-progress. I think this thing is a go!!

Here's a project description as a reminder:

Up-fitting vacant tenant spaces on first floor to restaurant/retail & bakery with modifications to Tryon St storefront and addition of 2 folding doors on 5th street. The existing 2nd floor will be renovated to 42 hotel rooms with modifications to the existing storefront windows along 5th street, Tryon and Church St.

Not exactly sure what the "modifications to Tryon St storefront" means but we will see. I hope the plans become visible soon, I'd really like to see those.

• 2 weeks later...

Got word that they should be starting the 5th Street Sidewalk improvements soon (by The Local, Connolly's, etc). As a result The Local are going to try to add a patio, still slated for summer to begin on the 5th Street in-fill building. The terrace will be complete public access, which may or may not be a good thing, not sure how that'll work.

Got word that they should be starting the 5th Street Sidewalk improvements soon (by The Local, Connolly's, etc). As a result The Local are going to try to add a patio, still slated for summer to begin on the 5th Street in-fill building. The terrace will be complete public access, which may or may not be a good thing, not sure how that'll work.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/New+York,+NY+10168/@40.749523,-73.975339,3a,75y,324.97h,90.77t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJkZQ2ll4AFMxODszwy2Oag!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c25903dc82ea2d:0x4f0c29df692bcd9c

See this building in Manhattan. There is a public Terrace above it.

Edit: This might be a better picture: 

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.749718,-73.975192,3a,75y,270.44h,93.23t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sqwSyfGvnsauSnbWIm2gQrg!2e0

I don't see Charlotte executing anything as awesome as that, but it would certainly be cool if they came close. My biggest worry is the only real practical way to get up there is elevators.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From Charlotte Agenda:  (thanks Jayvee)

It'll be nice to see 5th street get the extended sidewalk treatment.   Street trees too?

Also, rendering of the proposed renovation to the old City Tavern into Sea Level.

sea-level-charlotte1.jpg

Archived