Fifth Street Pedscape / Ivey's Building Retail Improvements

ScottCLT

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is awesome!

I know it will be a temporary loss to not have the street parking for quick visits, but the number of people affected by the parking loss versus the pedestrian environment is probably 1:100. 

I hope this inspires a sidewalk expansion by Phil's and Connolly's.  It is safer now that there is a shoulder, but there is really no reason to not just build out the sidewalk there, preferably with nice materials to connect between Tryon and the Hearst section.   I have had to step onto the street to pass on 5th probably dozens of times as a pedestrian between Church and College.  It is dangerous and a problem that ought to be corrected as soon as possible.

how does the renovation look? 

It's still very much a work in progress. Aside from restoring the entrance to the 'mall' area, they are adding in a couple of windows. I was hoping for an actual entrance to one of the shops or restaurants from 5th st that could ultimately lead to some sidewalk cafés, but it doesn't look like it will work that way based on what they've done up to now.

I went to Raleigh a couple of weekends ago, and I was blown away with how much their downtown has changed since the last time I was there (4-5 years ago). It seems like there is a restaurant with sidewalk seating on practically every corner in their downtown... so I will be very disappointed if we can't get it on this one block.

Removal of parking lane to accomodate wider pedestrian space and outdoor dining, and facade changes so restaurants face onto the street. Street improvements for West 5th street between Church and Tryon. This includes utility, sidewalk, traffic flow, tree planting, etc.

This is the description on GIS.

Well if they are planting trees, this should be a significant widening.  

Honestly I wish they'd just shut 5th down completely between maybe Brevard and Church and make it pedestrian only. 

Brevard to Church isn't realistic because of the arena, the parking decks, and the hotel coming to CCG...maybe College to Church would be. Still, there would have to be way more further retail-oriented renovation of the buildings along the way to make that make sense. 

I'm excited to have some trees.   That will hopefully yield a pleasant enough area for some outdoor dining tables for 5Church and for the two spaces newly opened to the street.   It is so fun to watch them pull out all the brick that enclosed the original entrance.   There is a large steel i-beam, so I'm sure this was part of some modern-era structural support but the new modern-era has no qualms about exposing that i-beam and ignoring it, while still enjoying the perks of the original design with more accessibility to the street.  

I can't wait for the improved look and pedestrian infrastructure.  I walk this block a LOT, even on this side of the street weaving around all the blockades.

The only disappointing aspect for me is that the sidewalk on the other side of 5th couldn't be extended (due to space obviously).  Having a small outdoor eating are in front of Dandelion Market and whatever Nix is now would be great.

Nix had outdoor Dining in the past. 

http://goo.gl/maps/k3IH3

Here is a photo from this morning (with a 'before' shot from Streeview) so y'all can get a sense of what is going on. They are expanding the last window area, adding 3 new windows, and creating the new entrance. It doesn't look like the restaurants and shops will have direct access onto the street based on what they've done to-date, but perhaps there is a future phase of work.

Apologies for the dismembered bug on my windshield.

5th_iveys_rehab_before_zps4ffe0683.jpg

5th_Iveys_rehab_aug13_zpsaec05ef5.jpg

Oh NEAT! I couldn't even imagine that. So there will be steps up to a patio up top, and I assume more seating on the sidewalk. That will drastically improve this stretch. I have dreams that Fifth will be a happening place one day.

I didn't have time this morning to take a photo, but the curb is already halfway installed.  The width looks great.  I'm expecting the material to be only concrete like the curb they're building, but I would hope they carry the brick style from Tryon. 

I didn't have time this morning to take a photo, but the curb is already halfway installed.  The width looks great.  I'm expecting the material to be only concrete like the curb they're building, but I would hope they carry the brick style from Tryon. 

The Drawings I saw on GIS has Masonry. I will try to find them again.

I was going to say, the brick is actually in bundles delivered.   It appears to be a light colored brick similar to the color of the building.   I'm not totally sure I like that idea to match the building, but I am very pleased to see that it is not just a standard concrete one. 

They may have been for another purpose, as they were the type of bricks with the 6 holes, which I guess are more for structural rather than paving.   This could be that they are using that for new walls in the building (behind that quasi-interior patio).   They were such a close match to the color of the building, I was pretty doubtful they were for the sidewalk, but I didn't think about the holes ruling them out as pavers until now. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone know what kind they're planting? Gingko and willow oak are nice, but I wouldn't mind cherries/elms, unless disease/environment forbids.

Please, no Ginkos.  They take decades to get any height to them and they're incredibly messy (their fruit smells of vomit).  Have you ever taken a walk or run down MLK Blvd in the fall?  Bleecchhhh!

Archived