Fifth Street Pedscape / Ivey's Building Retail Improvements

ScottCLT

The faux balconies look great. They've really done a nice job on the exterior of this building.

I would, however, love to know why there is one random section of white façade on 5th St though. It's always been there, but I've never been able to figure out why...

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Spartan said:

The faux balconies look great. They've really done a nice job on the exterior of this building.

I would, however, love to know why there is one random section of white façade on 5th St though. It's always been there, but I've never been able to figure out why...

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster, and you get my first reply lol. I could be totally wrong here, but maybe it's a loading dock from the original Ivey's? The building would obviously need less loading dock capacity once it was converted.

I think they are referring to this section:

Untitled.jpg

I don't know for sure, but my guess would be when they expanded the old Ivey's, they had some issue with the bricks and matching the facade in a consistent manner. 

On a related note, that vent from 5 Church's kitchen looks gross. They should clean it and look into a better system.

I'm totally speculating, but I think that marks the original back of the building. From that point going toward Church, the building facade is less articulated (no cornice or pilasters), which makes me think it was an addition that came later. That vertical strip of white - which looks like limestone - is more reminiscent of the front of Ivey's, so it stands to reason that the original back corner of the building might have gotten the same treatment if that was a secondary entrance into the department store. 

20 hours ago, alb1no panther said:

The 5th Street decoration around the stoop looks nice, but clashes with the brick that's there currently.  Also, the two columns on Tryon are supposed to get a redo, too.  I thought I saw rendering at one point or another but now can't seem to find them.  Oh well.  

It's also fake... maybe EFIS? If they had used real stone it would have looked better, but it's still a huge improvement over the crappy sidewalk and row of parked cars that used to be there.

Archived