Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wolverine

No privacy from landlord

8 posts in this topic

This year I lived in a subdivided house which contains individual apartments with their own kitchens living rooms, bedrooms etc. I felt my senior year of college I deserved more private living conditions since I've have lived in the dorms for the past 3 years. It was more of the pride of having my own place.

I'm pretty good about keeping my place clean. I feel I work better when my apartment looks nice. Additionally, my landlord has been taking people through my apartment in the past month for potential tenants. The problem? Lots of interest, but no one is signing. My best guess is the cost and the fact that my apartment looks kind of run down. I took the liberty of making improvements, from repainting the bathroom and living room, to sanding and restaining heavily damaged portionns of the wood floor. But it's still not enough to make it look worth the price. What's bothering me is that the place is now becoming like a public model home. I'm sick of waking up to my landlord banging on my door to show someone around my apartment. Additionally the "notice call" I am to receive are not letting me know well enough in advance. I check my voicemail usually late in the evening letting me know someone would check out the apartment at 9:00 am in the morning. I make sure the place is spotless, while at times it might be an inconvenience because of schoolwork.

Well, here's the interesting part. I've been having exams lately. I've also been sick. So cleaning has taken a back seat. The temperature is zero degrees or lower outside, so the trash is sitting by my front door and out on the fire escape. My floor is covered in paper from the flurry of pulling pages out of notebooks to study. I don't want to leave the couch. It's warmer under a blanket so the empty soda cans have overflowed the end table, and now there are plates with half eaten food around the couch. It gets worse. The laundry is not done, and the closets are overflowing. The garbage is overflowing and there is broken glass on the floor from when my friend hit a picture frame with a football. Basically the place is a complete disaster. What's worse is that my landlord saw it when giving a walkthrough that I didn't know about. I'm still questioning how he was capable of getting the front door open when it was blocked with debris. I always use the forbidden fire escape, which he has now figured out. Basically I'm awaiting m=ye heated phone call as to why my apartment was out of order, and how I had embarassed him on the walk through. I've sinced cleaned it back up since friends are coming over. So hopefully on the next walk through he will realize this was a one time thing.

But despite my apartment being out of its usual character it's still MY rented space. I'm fed up with the dozens of walk throughs that keep interrupting my life. I've already had money stolen off my nighstand since my landlord allows the people to walk about the apt free while he stands in the hallway where he can't watch them.

Has anyone else had this issue? What did you do about it. I mean, I have to let them do walk throughs since it's their building. But aren't I guaranteed some sort of limit to this, as well as times they come by?

Oh yes, I've been thru this before. I rented an apartment from a gentleman which practically was the upper floor of his house which had been converted. They were moving out of the area and people would be going thru my house all the time and I would have no knowledge sometimes until after the fact.

One time they had a showing and I wasn't told until after I was at work. I overslept a bit that morning and didn't make the bed and left my cereal bowl and juice glass in the sink (not a usual thing, but as I was in a terrible hurry that day and was unaware of a showing that day.) I got a very unappreciative tongue lashing from the landlord that evening that my "mess" had ruined the showing. I think most people I've talked to in these situations have gone thru the same experiences.

Just as a side note, I am now on the other side as I now own several rental properties. I try to be very considerate of my tenant's privacy and unless it's an extreme emergency (which I've only had to invoke once), I never inspect or show any of my properties without a minimum of 24 hours notice.

Yeah, the landlord is being an ass. We own rental property as well and would never subject someone renting that property to what you are going through. Though I am not up on Michigan law, I would guess that since you are renting the place, he can't come in there without notification and agreement to a time. He could be considered a trespasser otherwise and you can call the police on him if you want to take it that far.

My guess the reason you didn't get a call about the messy apartment was that he knew he was wrong about what he did. It's your space while you are paying for it and if you want to leave it in a mess that is your concern and not his. I would check your lease again, and if he is breaking his part of the terms, I would call him up and tell him that it has to stop. In fact, you should call the police over there about your missing money. That ought to put a stop to it since your landlord is responsible for letting them in there in the first place.

The only experience I've ever had with this was with a friend of mine. The guy renting the apartment wanted to move out before his contract was up, so the landlord left it up to him to do all that work, and so he did it in the afternoon or evenings when he had time to prepare.

If you're seeking an apartment to rent, you shouldn't take the current tenant's living style into account when deciding to rent. You should be looking for things like walls that might need to be painted, heaters that don't work, location of different rooms... it might be embarrassing to walk through a messy apartment, but there's no law against being a pig. (Though if given proper advance warning, cleaning up a bit can't hurt)

it might be embarrassing to walk through a messy apartment, but there's no law against being a pig. (Though if given proper advance warning, cleaning up a bit can't hurt)

But the landlord can definetly put clauses that would penalize the tenant for being a pig! READ YOUR LEASE AGREEMENTS THOUROUGHLY BEFORE YOU SIGN AND UNDERSTAND WHAT ALL THE CLAUSES MEAN!!

Just because a landlord puts something in a lease doesn't mean it is valid. They can't put stuff in there that would go against what state law requires. A renter is gauranteed certain privacy rights and other rights to a property and landlord can't just ignore these rights. My guess is that almost any court would throw out something such as that.

It was in the agreement to keep the apartment in a "liveable condition." I did violate by blocking the primary means of access to the apartment. I'm not sure what he thought about the glass on the floor since that's a hazard. But anyway, I haven't gotten a call back yet about it, but I did find out some interesting info.

My landlord is vocal in our community about students taking care of the places they live in and being environmentally concerned. I think it's cool to be environmentally concerned, but when you see the pizza boxes that were once buried deep in the TRASH bin, on top of the RECYCLE bin, kind of creeps me out.

I don't want to be out here bashing my landlord. The small company he owns is great, and they take pretty good care of their properties and respond promptly to problems. It's just that the notice for walk-throughs has been too short and inconvenient.