Easter Weekend in Myrtle Beach

monsoon

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, this urbanity is about 2 blocks wide. Once you get back from the beach there is significantly less dense development.

Infact Myrtle Beach has alot of sprawlish development. They are working on completing the Coastal Grand Mall. It will be the largest mall in SC.

Costal Grand Mall Discussion

The first pictures of the shopping area that is on piers is called the Boardwalk (I think), and it is a very large shopping center that is built around a man made tidal pool that is connected to the Intracoastal Waterway. It has all that stuff in one area (the Hard Rock, the IMAX, miniature golf, etc.). Its an interesting thing to see.

I guess my point is that I don't qualitfy Myrtle Beach as dense.

Its more of a faux-density (or something).

(Nice pics by the way)

It doesn't really fit in this thread, but I saw on the news where the Miracle Strip Amusement Park in Panama City Beach, a place with some parallels to Myrtle Beach, is closing after being a fixture for over 40 years, because the land was worth more for general development (probably condos).

Also, I'll mention that when I took a short beach trip last year (Gulf Shores,AL), it was really neat watching a dolphin from my hotel room balcony.

Last summer when I was there there was a lot of planning going on to revamp that area. That's of course why you see all of the freshly planted palmettos that line the streets. I also saw where the're going to replace the concrete with pavers. I think Myrtle beach may be in search of a downtown and they know that this area is there best bet. I wouldn't be suprised if the city puts a lot of investment behind this area to both preserve its current character and also improve the "downtown Myrtle Beach" urban feeling.

• 1 year later...

Archived