Should Triangle govts push for a combined MSA?

Atlside

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry, but I can't believe any respectable company would use these number alone. If they are depending on a government agency to dictate where to go, you'd better leave....asap.

If you think IKEA chose Charlotte over the Triangle because some MSA number, that's your opinion. I, for one, don't. Charlotte is the 'hub, of the Carolinas. They have a bigger population, etc.

Is there some retailor we (Trianglers) are missing?

• 4 months later...
Is there no rush hour traffic at all between Winston-Salem and Greensboro?

Doesn't this area also share one TV market, one radio market and the city of high point crosses into Forsyth County where Winston-Salem is?

They also share one airport and people that live in the area call themselves the Triad and worse.....Guilford and Forsyth County are adjacent to one another.

From downtown Greensboro to downtown Winston-Salem is about the same distance from downtown Durham to downtown Raleigh.

When people in North Carolina think of Winston-Salem don't they automatically think of Greensboro and when people think of Greensboro don't they think of Winston-Salem?

I think that enough people go back and forth from Raleigh/Durham to Durham/Raleigh living and working that they should, (IMHO), reinstate the old MSA of Raleigh-Durham-Cary-Chapel Hill instead of Raleigh-Cary MSA and Durham-Chapel Hill MSA.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to why they shouldn't make them one MSA?

I think that enough people go back and forth from Raleigh/Durham to Durham/Raleigh living and working that they should, (IMHO), reinstate the old MSA of Raleigh-Durham-Cary-Chapel Hill instead of Raleigh-Cary MSA and Durham-Chapel Hill MSA.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to why they shouldn't make them one MSA?

I've always said that the upside for the new MSA designations regarding multinodal metros such as the Triangle is that it is shows that the smaller city/cities have enough economic gravity within themselves to draw commuters, i.e. that Durham isn't simply a suburb of Raleigh. The CSA designation, on the other hand, demonstrates the interdependancy and interconnectedness of the entire Triangle. I don't think it's that bad of a setup actually, even though I understand the drawbacks.

Archived