Nashville Commons at Skyline

barakat

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a real fan of Wal-Mart either, but it seems a prudent move to locate there. The demographics in the draw area scream SuperCenter and will be built for those who live nearby who need this store desperately. Believe it or not, if one would venture off the nightmare called Dickerson Road and actually drive through some of the neighorhoods there, you'd be very surprised how nice and viable these places are. I know I was taken totally by surprise when I finally ventured off Dickerson Rd and into the 'hoods. Inglewood will benefit immensely by having shopping available without having to hit Rivergate or even Madision for a change. I'm assuming the home improvement store will be Lowe's and the new Home Depot at Gallatin and Briley will give me shopping close to my house that otherwise wouldn't be possible considering the lack of land. In Inglewood, there are numerous street corner commercial buildings (similar to Lockeland and Edgefield) that are experiencing a rebirth. I can't say I'm disappointed about this at all.

Major money being invested in this area hasn't happened in a long time. It may be called "suburban" but having new facilities and amenities a.k.a. suburbia within a stone's throw of my house and downtown will be a big help to the area. It's about time. And when you think about it, isn't investment in older inner ring suburbs a step in the right direction in making Davidson County a healthy and viable place for people other than the "trendy rich."? Isn't this exactly the type of investment that will be built FOR the people who live for having a place that helps them "get by." This land has been vacant my whole life and is out of the way and will in no terms upset the pastoral quality of this end of the county. In short order from this site, the land become topgraphically difficult, so retail in this "valley" by the freeway is only natural.

Sounds good to me. I'm not moving from my Inglewood house anytime soon, so to be able to access goods and services within a five-ten minute drive is something I look forward to.

I hear the Home Depot (approx. a mile from the Commons) will be all brick with enormous landscape buffers and a sensitivity to our area. I'm anxious to see the renderings and plans. Evergreen is gone, it was neglected and going downhill for decades and got no attention UNTIL it was destroyed. It would have fallen down anyway, so let's move on and give us a neighborhood addition we can actually use. If you really get down to the nitty gritty, it's a drop in the bucket of enviromental sensitivity, but all these people driving a mile or two is better than all these people stuck in Madison/Rivergate traffic for toilet paper and light bulbs. Bring it on.

I'm not a real fan of Wal-Mart either, but it seems a prudent move to locate there. The demographics in the draw area scream SuperCenter and will be built for those who live nearby who need this store desperately. Believe it or not, if one would venture off the nightmare called Dickerson Road and actually drive through some of the neighorhoods there, you'd be very surprised how nice and viable these places are. I know I was taken totally by surprise when I finally ventured off Dickerson Rd and into the 'hoods. Inglewood will benefit immensely by having shopping available without having to hit Rivergate or even Madision for a change. I'm assuming the home improvement store will be Lowe's and the new Home Depot at Gallatin and Briley will give me shopping close to my house that otherwise wouldn't be possible considering the lack of land. In Inglewood, there are numerous street corner commercial buildings (similar to Lockeland and Edgefield) that are experiencing a rebirth. I can't say I'm disappointed about this at all.

Major money being invested in this area hasn't happened in a long time. It may be called "suburban" but having new facilities and amenities a.k.a. suburbia within a stone's throw of my house and downtown will be a big help to the area. It's about time. And when you think about it, isn't investment in older inner ring suburbs a step in the right direction in making Davidson County a healthy and viable place for people other than the "trendy rich."? Isn't this exactly the type of investment that will be built FOR the people who live for having a place that helps them "get by." This land has been vacant my whole life and is out of the way and will in no terms upset the pastoral quality of this end of the county. In short order from this site, the land become topgraphically difficult, so retail in this "valley" by the freeway is only natural.

Sounds good to me. I'm not moving from my Inglewood house anytime soon, so to be able to access goods and services within a five-ten minute drive is something I look forward to.

I hear the Home Depot (approx. a mile from the Commons) will be all brick with enormous landscape buffers and a sensitivity to our area. I'm anxious to see the renderings and plans. Evergreen is gone, it was neglected and going downhill for decades and got no attention UNTIL it was destroyed. It would have fallen down anyway, so let's move on and give us a neighborhood addition we can actually use. If you really get down to the nitty gritty, it's a drop in the bucket of enviromental sensitivity, but all these people driving a mile or two is better than all these people stuck in Madison/Rivergate traffic for toilet paper and light bulbs. Bring it on.

Dave makes some very valid points about this project and I am inclined to agree with him on this. Anything is better than what's there already in this part of town. Being that far out of the urban grid, one could expect a development of this nature to happen around Skyline. I see no major problems with this as long as it's decent to look at.

As usual, it isn't necessarily Wal-Mart itself in this case that I take issue with. It is the unbelievably ineffecient (in multiple forms) package it will come in. I also hate the idealistic name. It's barely even technically in Nashville, and there are no 'commons' anywhere in sight. I know it's silly to beotch about stuff like that lol, but it will never stop irritating me when cheap developers want to cash in on the 'urbanism' trend by tricking shoppers with an idealistic name that is all about 'image', but don't want to fork out any cash to actually do anything functionally urban.

LOL okay i'll stop now, you know me, I gotta get a little bit of complaining in once and awhile. haha

Dave does make some very good points too.

Okay, bna, feel better? I know you do, a little b*tching is good for the soul. But, being as familiar with this parcel as I am my own backyard, building something fundamentally urban at the intersection of a 12-lane section of I-65 and Briley Parkway would seem a bit silly at best. Fundametally urban to me requires a pedestrian element and this location is would do nothing pedestrian-oriented except to boost business at Skyline Medical's ER.

And if you'd been with me and my friends when we'd take the '67 Chevy to the top of the hill, up the rutted road to the top, you'd see that the word skyine is definately NOT a hospital in origin, it's the unbelievable view. I took many an unsuspecting young lass (yes, to those who know me well, that's l-a-S-S...) to enjoy that view during my high school years, so some can think Skyline while I just sit back and smile at what the skyline meant to me then. Eat your hearts out.

Okay, bna, feel better? I know you do, a little b*tching is good for the soul. But, being as familiar with this parcel as I am my own backyard, building something fundamentally urban at the intersection of a 12-lane section of I-65 and Briley Parkway would seem a bit silly at best. Fundametally urban to me requires a pedestrian element and this location is would do nothing pedestrian-oriented except to boost business at Skyline Medical's ER.

And if you'd been with me and my friends when we'd take the '67 Chevy to the top of the hill, up the rutted road to the top, you'd see that the word skyine is definately NOT a hospital in origin, it's the unbelievable view. I took many an unsuspecting young lass (yes, to those who know me well, that's l-a-S-S...) to enjoy that view during my high school years, so some can think Skyline while I just sit back and smile at what the skyline meant to me then. Eat your hearts out.

Wal-mart? Maybe, maybe not. I'm still a Target kind of guy, but Lowe's, u bet I will. I'm guessing the 99,000 sq ft home improvement will be a Lowe's since my new Home Depot will be a mile away at most. This will help all us over here a lot without having them, pardon the expression, in our backyard, but next door and easy to access. Inglewood has no land available, thank goodness, for things like this, but upper Dickerson (that I refer to as north of 65) is land rich. I would truly like to think the rough terrain up there keeps most big box things out, as I think it surely will, but I would like to see the future take advantage of the beautiful land the type of which can really only be found in Southwest Davidson, Brentwood and Franklin. I can be at Beaman Park in 10 minutes and in the middle of the roughest terrrain in Davidson County. Now, I can stop and buy some paint on the way home. Not a bad compromise.

http://www.nashville.gov/parks/beaman.htm

Wal-mart? Maybe, maybe not. I'm still a Target kind of guy, but Lowe's, u bet I will. I'm guessing the 99,000 sq ft home improvement will be a Lowe's since my new Home Depot will be a mile away at most. This will help all us over here a lot without having them, pardon the expression, in our backyard, but next door and easy to access. Inglewood has no land available, thank goodness, for things like this, but upper Dickerson (that I refer to as north of 65) is land rich. I would truly like to think the rough terrain up there keeps most big box things out, as I think it surely will, but I would like to see the future take advantage of the beautiful land the type of which can really only be found in Southwest Davidson, Brentwood and Franklin. I can be at Beaman Park in 10 minutes and in the middle of the roughest terrrain in Davidson County. Now, I can stop and buy some paint on the way home. Not a bad compromise.

http://www.nashville.gov/parks/beaman.htm

The first, and only time I ever saw that area: I recall back in the summer of 2005 my wife and I took the kids up to Hendersonville to see some of my wife's college friends and their families... anyway the last part of the I-65 construction was wrapping up. As it was a Friday afternoon, the traffic was a brutal mess (aka a parking lot). So we took the next exit up on Briley and went Dickerson. It was quite rough. I also recall seeing (what you're referring to, Dave) the rugged terrain. So I suppose something on this magnitude will be a net-net positive. I just (personally) don't like Lowes or WalMart.

What's the size of the investment?

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

They've been working on this for a while now, still in the blasting/earth moving phase (the blasting shakes my house 4 miles away) and they've pretty much torn down a huge hill on the land to create a level area. While I'm excited that they're finally putting something in that will improve the retail situation in this area, I'm not thrilled what they're doing physically to the landscape to get there.

Anyway, it's an incredible location for anything - probably one of the most strategically located spots in town. Hopefully we'll get a few things in there that will benefit the area, and encourage positive growth, especially for the Skyline / Dickerson Pk north of Briley area, which, other than a few unsightly businesses and abandoned buildings along the main road, is a very pleasant area.

We know of WalMart and Lowes already, but I'd like to see a decent grocery store (not counting Walmart, I mean like Publix) and some specialty retail and restaurants. Anything even slightly upscale would be exciting here, and it wouldn't be too big of a stretch - there's plenty of money to be spent among nearby residents: Inglewood and West Madison especially, which are just around the corner.

There's also a big chunk of land just up Dickerson on the other side that for several years has been bulldozed, presumably for backfill at other sites, but with this addition I could easily see it being developed as a shopping center or big box retail.

And to address some other comments made here, this is very much IN nashville, and fairly centrally at that, so the name is entirely appropriate, and I don't see how this creates any sprawl, as there's not much land nearby to be developed for new residential areas. If anything it would only help to improve existing neighborhoods.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived