Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krazeeboi

America's Favorite Architecture

14 posts in this topic

Wow, they missed a lot of really great buildings.

Nothing from Detroit- not one of its dozens of art deco skyscrapers was mentioned. :(

Wow, they missed a lot of really great buildings.

Nothing from Detroit- not one of its dozens of art deco skyscrapers was mentioned. :(

The list includes a surprising number of hotels. The Exeter Library surprised me with its inclusion. As noted above, there are relatively few examples from the South.

Nice post. Thanks for the article. Lots of classic older skscrapers. Plenty of Union Stations too. That's greatThorn Crown Chapel in Arkansas made the list. The WTC got some love too. That's a pretty camp in Scottsdale AZ.

The list includes a surprising number of hotels. The Exeter Library surprised me with its inclusion. As noted above, there are relatively few examples from the South.

I'm a little surprised about the list. There does seem a bit of a bias towards certain parts of the country. I guess I was also surprised how some buildings were ranked much higher than other well known and appreciated buildings. It did seem to also have a strong urban theme. Frank Loyd Wright's buildings dropped down quite a bit.

I wonder if the WTC would have been that high on this list pre-9/11. While I've never seen them, they seemed to be rather unremarkable to me, aside from their enormous size. Lots of cathedrals on that list.

The WTC towers one and two were fairly ugly buildings. Just huge saltine boxes as they say. They were impressive in person for there immensity, though. The thing is that they were such a dominating piece of that skyline. I can't imagine riding the Staten Island Ferry to Manhattan and not seeing them. I haven't been back to NYC since 911 and to be honest I am not sure what my response will be to seeing that lack.

interesting list. i think a lot of the other stuff is more impressive architecture than the WTC. they would not be that high on the list if it was pre-9/11. they were rather bland buildings, just tall uninspired square boxes.

Nice to see the legal research building at U of Mich. Law school on the list. Even though I do not think it is that great since I spent so much time there and how crappy the time was. It should look a lot better after they fix it up too.

I think a lot of great ones, as well as ones from placed like Detroit and the South, weren't mentioned just because they don't have good exposure. I wouldn't be able to name anything from Detroit or the South, for instance, but I could name a dozen each in Chicago and NYC...