Skyline Balance

cheshireguy

That's what concerned me: would they demo the Federal Square Building? From the rendering, I would assume so since the footprint seems to take up the entire city block. I think the building would have been awesome and I wish it was built, but I would have concerns as well with the other office buildings around town going vacant.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what concerned me: would they demo the Federal Square Building? From the rendering, I would assume so since the footprint seems to take up the entire city block. I think the building would have been awesome and I wish it was built, but I would have concerns as well with the other office buildings around town going vacant.

No, I remember the site plan from this and it would wrap around the Fed Sq building. I don't think the other building in that block would have survived though, if I remember correctly (the small one on Ionia).

Well, it sounds like a winner to me then. From Knape's article, it sounds like if there was ever a need for it, the architect (Stephen Fry) would bring it back to life:

"Hopefully, at some point, our city will grow to the point where there will be a need and someone will decide that building still has a lot of good bones, and they will want to bring it back alive."

Here's to hoping! :thumbsup:

• 4 years later...

Its been about a billion years since the last time I've been active on UP. So I figured I chime in on this thread with a bit of fantasizing on GR's skyline. 

1270695_10200502932928269_1984882069_o.j

Starting from left to right. 

*Monroe North would get MSU's Biomedical Research corridor.  on the GR press properties and other various surface lots over there.

*Next we would take the wrecking ball to that piece of crapitecture--ur-- I mean the Post Office Building to make way for the restoration and nice additions to the Olds Mannor Building on Michigan and Munroe. Meanwhile the old GR press HQ, which is another ugly eye sore woulde be replace the heart of MSU's Biomed research corridor. 

*Then moving further to the right we will demo Buttorworth's original building with something newer, bigger, and much more modern.

*Moving on to the south flank of Calder Plaza we will replace the parking facility on the north side of the 5/3 building with a big sexy signature tower. At 600 or so feet not including the spire this would be the tallest building in the city.

*Moving directly across Lyon Street we have another big 'scraper taking the spot of the second tallest building.

*then to spread out some mass and add some density we will head to Louis and Monroe and squeeze in a sleek 400 footer.

*Next we move to the west side of Plaze Tower and add in the old 275 Fulton proposal. Don't know if its still on the table or not. But it looks cool and therefore it needs to be built.

*To wrap things up lets infill that giant parking lot on the south west corner of Fulton and Monroe. 

Its been about a billion years since the last time I've been active on UP. So I figured I chime in on this thread with a bit of fantasizing on GR's skyline. 

1270695_10200502932928269_1984882069_o.j

Starting from left to right. 

*Monroe North would get MSU's Biomedical Research corridor.  on the GR press properties and other various surface lots over there.

*Next we would take the wrecking ball to that piece of crapitecture--ur-- I mean the Post Office Building to make way for the restoration and nice additions to the Olds Mannor Building on Michigan and Munroe. Meanwhile the old GR press HQ, which is another ugly eye sore woulde be replace the heart of MSU's Biomed research corridor. 

*Then moving further to the right we will demo Buttorworth's original building with something newer, bigger, and much more modern.

*Moving on to the south flank of Calder Plaza we will replace the parking facility on the north side of the 5/3 building with a big sexy signature tower. At 600 or so feet not including the spire this would be the tallest building in the city.

*Moving directly across Lyon Street we have another big 'scraper taking the spot of the second tallest building.

*then to spread out some mass and add some density we will head to Louis and Monroe and squeeze in a sleek 400 footer.

*Next we move to the west side of Plaze Tower and add in the old 275 Fulton proposal. Don't know if its still on the table or not. But it looks cool and therefore it needs to be built.

*To wrap things up lets infill that giant parking lot on the south west corner of Fulton and Monroe. 

Awesome, welcome back tamias6. Now that's a city.

Hey, I might have another fun project for you... ;)

What about the large ellis parking lot on the corner of Ionia and Lyon. Large lot needs a larger tower :shades:

Very nice skyline btw

Oh yeah that big parking lot. I think some very nice infill would address that bit of eye sore. I would include something like that in the skyline pic. But from the vantage point of the picture any structure would be obscured by the signature tower I put in on South side of Calder Plaza. I've been thinking of at a later time adding to the rendering infill to all of those giant surface lots between the YMCA building and Bridge street along a few taller buildings along bridge street itself close to the US 131 over passes to give a smooth transition out to RIverhouse.

I've been thinking of at a later time adding to the rendering infill to all of those giant surface lots between the YMCA building and Bridge street along a few taller buildings along bridge street itself close to the US 131 over passes to give a smooth transition out to Riverhouse.

I've always wanted to see something filling those lots up.

Archived