Next Downtown Grocery Store

Justadude

Same here, but I blame it on not having any money and no free time. My sister, who lives in the Tokyo Metro, lives in a single family house and even there the kitchen is small with a minuscule fridge. She just picks up what she needs each evening at the train station on the way home from work, or has it delivered. Almost all of the train stations there serve double purposes in that they are big retail locations also. I wish that CATS had kept this in mind because I could see where a downtown light rail station could also double as a grocery store, but that thought doesn't even seem to be on the radar at all.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having another Uptown grocery store would be good for consumers, but the Charlotte Business Journal had an article (and I believe the Observer did too) stating that the Harris Teeter is not profitable because the store doesn't have space or a clientele for various high-margin items that suburban stores sell. Hopefully HT will become profitable due to the increased volume due to residential growth, but I'd guess that other grocers would stay away for now.

Also, when I lived in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, with a LOT more residents per square mile than central Charlotte, there still weren't a ton of grocery stores; there were just some horrid Gristede's, a few Food Emporium stores and mostly mid-market stores, with just a few like Reid's (such as Citarella). I'd guess that people uptown would be disproportionately young, single guys with bad hours at work and would thus not cook at home much but would eat out constantly, like people in the Upper East Side, so it would take a lot more uptown residents than suburbanites to support a grocery store.

I'm going to plug the uptown Harris Teeter. I have no complaints about it, and it's in walking distance. Yes, prices might be a few cents higher than the burbs stores--but uptown is has a pricier lease and I don't have to drive. Produce is better earlier in the day--they deliver it every morning. You can ask for the employees to look in the back, too. If that isn't good enough, go to Reid's or the farmer's market. Plus, Harris Teeter IS local (even though it is a chain) (and, my grandfather sold his store to them, and went to work for them--got to be loyal).

I'm going to plug the uptown Harris Teeter. I have no complaints about it, and it's in walking distance. Yes, prices might be a few cents higher than the burbs stores--but uptown is has a pricier lease and I don't have to drive. Produce is better earlier in the day--they deliver it every morning. You can ask for the employees to look in the back, too. If that isn't good enough, go to Reid's or the farmer's market. Plus, Harris Teeter IS local (even though it is a chain) (and, my grandfather sold his store to them, and went to work for them--got to be loyal).

The quota for 15,000 is a pretty normal standard for grocers and developers seeking them. A year ago, the uptown Harris Teeter was loosing money (don't know if they currently are, but i would guess that they are), but I take it that it was an investment for the future of uptown. Granted there will be more people moving very soon uptown. I take it that this was a move to capture the loyalty of those arleady there and get a lock down on the market.

What I do wish is that we had individual small produce/butcher/bakery shops. But, when charlotte made its move to the burbs, we were not a large enough city to retain a high enough demand in the somewhat urban areas. When we bulldosed in the spirit of Le Corbusier (crapty urban planner, but great architect) we pretty much locked the fate. What these small grocers would need is cheap small spaces. However, I think what we have is what we will have for some time. Maybe in 2010 or 2015 we will see something else.

In many ways, people treat Reid's like a butcher only. Their produce is usually pretty unfresh in my experience.

I hope that the new residents don't just take the current uptown HT for granted and go somewhere else to save a few pennies. HT locating uptown is a result of a vast letter-writing campaign practically begging them to come. I credit their presense downtown as being just as much a cause for uptown residential growth. People suddenly consider it practical to live uptown with the idea that basic grocery supplies are available.

What I do wish is that we had individual small produce/butcher/bakery shops. But, when charlotte made its move to the burbs, we were not a large enough city to retain a high enough demand in the somewhat urban areas. When we bulldosed in the spirit of Le Corbusier (crapty urban planner, but great architect) we pretty much locked the fate. What these small grocers would need is cheap small spaces. However, I think what we have is what we will have for some time. Maybe in 2010 or 2015 we will see something else.

Archived