Mardi Gras Pictures

byrde

Before I get to the photos, I'll give you guys some brief info on the Krewe of Rex:

The Krewe of Rex was founded in 1872, and is one of the oldest Mardi Gras organizations in New Orleans. It is the largest parade in the city, and rolls on the same route through Uptown and into the CBD on Fat Tuesday every year. "Rex" means "king" in Latin, and the king of Rex is considered to be the "King of Carnival." Every year his float stops in front of Gallier Hall in downtown New Orleans where the mayor of New Orleans gives him a royal toast and offers him the key to the city for a day. The king of Rex returns the toast, and offers some words to the mayor, the city, and all New Orleanians. At midnight on Fat Tuesday, the king of Rex and his queen leave their festivities to meet the king of the Mistick Krewe of Comus, the oldest Carnival krewe in New Orleans. (Founded 1856) This "Meeting of the Courts" officially ends the Carnival Season.

And now, here are some of my pictures from the Rex Parade today, all of these were taken on Saint Charles Avenue in Uptown New Orleans:

397081542_63a7829faa_b.jpg

397081870_0d737fb69d_b.jpg

397082500_222a4f2b77_b.jpg

397082770_e110fe838b_b.jpg

397083401_f995cd6f74_b.jpg

397084227_06da539752_b.jpg

397084542_b47c8aabd8_b.jpg

397085370_13ad8af150_b.jpg

397085693_6f26782884_b.jpg

397086091_ae15fa09c2_b.jpg

397086955_e639a8ef59_b.jpg

397087807_8fe445bc87_b.jpg

397088133_f9057fbe21_b.jpg

397089038_7f02d798b1_b.jpg

397089537_9d81df8aee_b.jpg

397090080_5278ac92b5_b.jpg

397269199_9bc6c441d5_b.jpg

397269520_f3e4d34b7a_b.jpg

That's it! I have at least another 30 pictures on my Flickr, which is linked in my signature. The weather was great for parading, but pretty crappy for photography. The overcast skies didn't help with lighting, but I did what I could. So, I managed to get my New Orleans Mardi Gras pictures in before Mardi Gras ended. I guess now we'll just have to wait!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before I get to the photos, I'll give you guys some brief info on the Krewe of Rex:

The Krewe of Rex was founded in 1872, and is one of the oldest Mardi Gras organizations in New Orleans. It is the largest parade in the city, and rolls on the same route through Uptown and into the CBD on Fat Tuesday every year. "Rex" means "king" in Latin, and the king of Rex is considered to be the "King of Carnival." Every year his float stops in front of Gallier Hall in downtown New Orleans where the mayor of New Orleans gives him a royal toast and offers him the key to the city for a day. The king of Rex returns the toast, and offers some words to the mayor, the city, and all New Orleanians. At midnight on Fat Tuesday, the king of Rex and his queen leave their festivities to meet the king of the Mistick Krewe of Comus, the oldest Carnival krewe in New Orleans. (Founded 1856) This "Meeting of the Courts" officially ends the Carnival Season.

And now, here are some of my pictures from the Rex Parade today, all of these were taken on Saint Charles Avenue in Uptown New Orleans:

photos snipped...

That's it! I have at least another 30 pictures on my Flickr, which is linked in my signature. The weather was great for parading, but pretty crappy for photography. The overcast skies didn't help with lighting, but I did what I could. So, I managed to get my New Orleans Mardi Gras pictures in before Mardi Gras ended. I guess now we'll just have to wait!

Awesome, Nate! That Krewe has some amazing floats!

Awesome, Nate! That Krewe has some amazing floats!

Thanks! And yes, Rex does have some really amazing floats. As does any Super Krewe in New Orleans, as they have enough money to purchase new theme floats every year. You should see some of the floats in Bacchus and Endymion! It's just an extremely impressive sight.

Great shots today from New Orleans and Lafayette!

I, too, attended a Fat Tuesday parade today, down on the Boardwalk. This was supposedly the most family-oriented of all our parades, but I actually liked this one the least. Everyone was extremely pushy and rude, it was extremely ghetto, and it was not family-oriented at all. I thought I was going to have to kick an old lady's butt, because no matter how nice I was to her, she continued to be a royal byotch. Had I not been carrying my expensive equipment with me, I wouldn't have been nearly as nice. Don't glare at me unless you want your glasses crammed down your throat. Stupid, inbred people. There were so many people I would have loved to have beat down tonight.

Some of those people would have gotten shot for doing that in New Orleans. You handled it a lot better than I probably would have.

Country music star Kenny Chesney performed on a moving stage at the Fat Tuesday parade in Shreveport-Bossier.

Okay, so he really didn't... but this guy looked and sounded JUST like him. I was walking along thinking there was a radio blaring Kenny Chesney songs, and then I saw this guy. That's when, for a brief moment before I saw the sign, I truly thought Kenny Chesney was performing. Awesome performance!

Photo belongs to Jed Jin, a Chinese student who attended Fat Tuesday celebrations in Shreveport.

397272513_dab92ac670_b.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Archived