I'm still wondering...why no Trader Joes...

misskelliecmu

Okay, as I forked over $200 at Trader Joes in Downtown Chicago (Rush/Ontario), I'm still left wondering why is GR does not have a Trader Joe? Why is this company snubbing us? What is GR lacking...are we not one of the largest towns in MI? Everyone that I discuss TJ with notes that we should have one but yet we don't.

Why is GR considered a "soft market"? If I could get all the items at TJ locally, I would love it but I can't. I'm just venting but it stinks because I would really like them to come.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They also have locations in Ann Arbor, Northville, Farmington Hills & Rochester Hills. But they are snubbing West Michigan. I wonder if hesitation is due to many local chains, Family fare, Meijer, etc. However, to me it would seem they would cater to a different customer base.

Unfortunately, no. I've been to harvest health on Burton(?) and I've not been impressed with their selection of the frozen items. The items I buy from TJ are mostly the frozen meals like some killer orange chicken, 3 minute frozen brown rice, garlic naan bread, kung pao meals, frozen pea pods, 75% lite cabot cheese, and lite organic cheese sticks. Though I hear the greek yogurt made by hage in the large containers are being found at Mejier but I don't know which one so I still get those from TJ.

I can't seemingly find any of those items near home. I live in NW and mostly do my shopping in SE. I love Horrocks, Asian Delight, Aldi's, and buy some sale items at Forest Hills Foods.

My guess is that given the general economic uncertainty in Michigan, TJs is playing it safe. TJs tends to focus on upscale urban areas where folks appreciate the kind of foods (imported viands, wines, etc.) that TJs is so good at. Ann Arbor is a perfect market for TJs, as is Old Town (Rush/Ontario??) and some of the richer Detroit suburbs.

As much as I appreciate Meijer when I visit the hometown, our family shops at TJs more than any other market. We barely visit the local super (Ralphs, a division of Kroger) in favor of TJs.

My guess is that given the general economic uncertainty in Michigan, TJs is playing it safe. TJs tends to focus on upscale urban areas where folks appreciate the kind of foods (imported viands, wines, etc.) that TJs is so good at. Ann Arbor is a perfect market for TJs, as is Old Town (Rush/Ontario??) and some of the richer Detroit suburbs.

As much as I appreciate Meijer when I visit the hometown, our family shops at TJs more than any other market. We barely visit the local super (Ralphs, a division of Kroger) in favor of TJs.

I've never quite understood TJ's formula for locations.

On one hand they're clearly shooting for the upscale destinations.

On the other hand, their signature product is a $2 bottle of barely-passable wine. :)

At any rate, Trader Joe's is a fun place to shop. They'll be here some day. In the meantime, Russo's and D&W have to fit the bill.

Now Hear This: "Two-buck Chuck" (as Charles Shaw wine is known in these palmy precincts) is complete and total -- crap!

There. I have said it.

There are excellent, inexpensive wines by the caseload at TJs that are far superior to Chuck and are only a dollar or two more a bottle. In particular, I like Yellowtail Chardonnay from Australia ($4.99 in LA). The California Zinfandels at TJs are also quite good.

I don't know what selection the TJs have in the Midwest, but their wine section is their glory out here, if one can avoid the ubiquitous Charles Shaw.

TJ's has looked at the GR market, even Gaslight Village, but we do not have the demographics that suit their investment model. Part of the demographic data that they look at is educational attainment, and when you look at the data it is low in comparison to the other areas where they have invested.

I would also have to advocate for our local chains to fill the gap, if there is one. Many of our local stores are doing much better at bringing in a greater diversity of food at reasonable prices. The upside is that the money stays here and isn't shipped back to a corporate headquarter. I do hit a Trader Joe's when I am around one but am pretty happy with the quality of food I can acquire here in GR.

TJ's has looked at the GR market, even Gaslight Village, but we do not have the demographics that suit their investment model. Part of the demographic data that they look at is educational attainment, and when you look at the data it is low in comparison to the other areas where they have invested.

I would also have to advocate for our local chains to fill the gap, if there is one. Many of our local stores are doing much better at bringing in a greater diversity of food at reasonable prices. The upside is that the money stays here and isn't shipped back to a corporate headquarter. I do hit a Trader Joe's when I am around one but am pretty happy with the quality of food I can acquire here in GR.

I've made special trips just to get to TJ's and would love one in GR. The last time I was in the Ann Arbor store, the manager said GR was not in their target zone.

Does Harvest Health Foods carry whole wheat pastas, couscous and brown basmati rice? Do they carry dried fruits and nuts and how do their prices compare? I've never been to any of the natural food stores, but I probably should check them out. I like Russo's for their deli and dried porcini mushrooms.

I will also stand up for the $2 Chuck, but I only use it in cooking.

I've made special trips just to get to TJ's and would love one in GR. The last time I was in the Ann Arbor store, the manager said GR was not in their target zone.

Does Harvest Health Foods carry whole wheat pastas, couscous and brown basmati rice? Do they carry dried fruits and nuts and how do their prices compare? I've never been to any of the natural food stores, but I probably should check them out. I like Russo's for their deli and dried porcini mushrooms.

I'm pretty sure you can get those things at Meijer, or at least at the Knapp's Corner Meijer. Meijer also carries quite a bit of organic foods too. I've never been to a Trader Joe's, so I'm still trying to figure out why people would drive 2 1/2 hours for pre-packaged meals and 2 buck chuck. Meijer always has one wine or another on special for $5 for a 750ml bottle, or $10 for 1.5 liter. And usually pretty decent wine (I'm not a wine officionado).

Archived