Plainfield Corridor

cheshireguy

So I see in the paper today that Gilmore is putting a restaurant/bar in the old Creston library - its back on. The Creston neighborhood is trying to create an East Town feel in our area with a mix of new deveopments and current neighborhood partners. What do you think about this? As a Cheshire resident, I would love to see the Plainfield area between Leonard and Knapp come around to something even similar to the East Town area. I just don't know if we have what it takes to make it an attractive area to shoppers/diners/drinkers/etc. The idea makes me giddy, though. PS - Visit both Quinn & Tuites Irish Pub on Plainfield and the new place just north of Leonard, Graydon's Crossings --- Both well worth it

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I see in the paper today that Gilmore is putting a restaurant/bar in the old Creston library - its back on. The Creston neighborhood is trying to create an East Town feel in our area with a mix of new deveopments and current neighborhood partners. What do you think about this? As a Cheshire resident, I would love to see the Plainfield area between Leonard and Knapp come around to something even similar to the East Town area. I just don't know if we have what it takes to make it an attractive area to shoppers/diners/drinkers/etc. The idea makes me giddy, though. PS - Visit both Quinn & Tuites Irish Pub on Plainfield and the new place just north of Leonard, Graydon's Crossings --- Both well worth it

• 1 month later...

Just an FYI for anyone interested-

The Creston Corridor Initiative final study is being presented for the first and last time tonight. The presentation will take place at the Elementary School Gymnasium @ 309 Palmer St NE. There should be alot of people there, so get there early if you want a seat up front

I hope someone can attend and post thoughts and pictures... I'd go, but its my wife's birthday :)

Just an FYI for anyone interested-

The Creston Corridor Initiative final study is being presented for the first and last time tonight. The presentation will take place at the Elementary School Gymnasium @ 309 Palmer St NE. There should be alot of people there, so get there early if you want a seat up front

I hope someone can attend and post thoughts and pictures... I'd go, but its my wife's birthday :)

I attended the design charrette and am quite pleased with the results.

A number of businesses have moved into the area and gentrification is quickly spreading.

Even the dentist is busy restoring and expanding his building.

These changes are having a significant impact on our "urban" neighborhood.

Yet, few persons bother to respond to these positive developments, including the charrette.

What do UP people think of this neighborhood, if at all?

Even though some of the buildings in that corridor look a bit worn, I'd have to say that the area has very good bones. My only real distress with the area are the neighborhood blocks to the north of Leonard St. and east of Plainfield Ave. My brother and his family moved out of a house there about ten years ago because of a problem with crime and drugs in surrounding homes. I don't know the current status of that those neighborhood blocks. But these issues were a great worry for my bother and his family.

I attended the design charrette and am quite pleased with the results.

A number of businesses have moved into the area and gentrification is quickly spreading.

Even the dentist is busy restoring and expanding his building.

These changes are having a significant impact on our "urban" neighborhood.

Yet, few persons bother to respond to these positive developments, including the charrette.

What do UP people think of this neighborhood, if at all?

I live on Dorroll Street, pretty much spitting distance from Aberdeen Elementary and backed up to Aberdeen Park. I love our neighborhood, and realize the potential of the area to the south of us (south of Knapp to Leonard). We've had petty incidents around here, most stemming from arguments on the basketball court, bu nothing really serious (or as serious as the SE side). I hope that the planning commision can recapture some of the old grandeur of this area. I love the building that houses the Sazarac, as well as the library. The Riverside Gardens neighborhood would flock to this area if it had the elements to make it feel vibrant.

I looked at the PDF and it looked very nice. I don't just mean the plans, but also all the graphics were pretty as well. I liked their idea for improving the parking lot in front of Creston High School. Everytime I drive by that school I think of how great it would look if that parking lot was all replaced with grass. Of course that's not practical, but any way to soften the presence of the parking lot would be good. I also like the infill plans to make the area look more tightly knit and predistrian friendly.

Is this corridor plan going to be submitted to the city to become part of the city's master plan?

• 3 weeks later...

A few things I noticed in Creston today:

What is this project?

465426637_d81f5bb336_b.jpg

I also noticed Creston Market has a new facelift. Is the Creston Association doling out improvement grants or something?

465426649_d740724846_b.jpg

And this little addition off of a business on Coit:

465426655_8847471731_b.jpg

Id like to see a starbucks in that area i dont like to see an area overrun with chain stores but a name brand coffe house i think would fit into this neighborhood well. Also i know friends who stayed over plainfield and Penn i believeand that liquor store that sits there always not the best crowd of ppl hanging around there. Also i would like to know isn't there a certain number of liquor stores each city can have in Michigan? Because i dont see a need for north end liquor and this one to be so close together.

Id like to see a starbucks in that area i dont like to see an area overrun with chain stores but a name brand coffe house i think would fit into this neighborhood well.

Thanks for taking notice of the neighborhood:

the first project is going to be a bbq place. the owner also has one in lowell.

it's pretty good - he provided lunch for the design charrette (spelling ?)

Creston Market received a grant from the Creston Corridor Initiative, as did many businesses in the area.

It is owned by Sun Title but the current occupents are moving out due to a conflict with this owner.

There are rumors that a more "upscale" market is going to replace the current offerings. The Grants have made a big difference in the neighborhood. Kudos to the CCI....

The last is the dentist's office. I wish I had "before and after" pictures. The change is significant.

"Granny's Attic," next to Brittany's, is also being gutted. A Heating and Cooling place is going in.

Noticed some posts on liquor stores in the area. Kingma's Market, just up the street, is now offering speciality beer and wine. lot's of UP posters talk about urban markets. for it's foot print, Kingma's is the best in grand rapids. do not consider this an advertisment - but do check it out. this might work downtown.

A few things I noticed in Creston today:

What is this project?

465426637_d81f5bb336_b.jpg

I also noticed Creston Market has a new facelift. Is the Creston Association doling out improvement grants or something?

465426649_d740724846_b.jpg

And this little addition off of a business on Coit:

465426655_8847471731_b.jpg

Thanks for taking notice of the neighborhood:

the first project is going to be a bbq place. the owner also has one in lowell.

it's pretty good - he provided lunch for the design charrette (spelling ?)

Creston Market received a grant from the Creston Corridor Initiative, as did many businesses in the area.

It is owned by Sun Title but the current occupents are moving out due to a conflict with this owner.

There are rumors that a more "upscale" market is going to replace the current offerings. The Grants have made a big difference in the neighborhood. Kudos to the CCI....

The last is the dentist's office. I wish I had "before and after" pictures. The change is significant.

"Granny's Attic," next to Brittany's, is also being gutted. A Heating and Cooling place is going in.

Noticed some posts on liquor stores in the area. Kingma's Market, just up the street, is now offering speciality beer and wine. lot's of UP posters talk about urban markets. for it's foot print, Kingma's is the best in grand rapids. do not consider this an advertisment - but do check it out. this might work downtown.

I believe Sun Title received a grant but only for its sign. It's owner paid for the rest. Also note the restoration on Apex. This building is owned by the same guy.

The dentist's office not only has the addtion (the black box)- but the windows and the woodwork are new as well.

The Hoxie Building and Graydon's Landing also received grants from the Creston Corridor Initiative.

Archived