For those who think the Hartford music scene sucks....

MadVlad

Nice article on the front page of the Courant today about some kids that decided to take it into their own hands to rent out Halls and brings bands in to play. They get local (most importantly), and national acts to play, and it helps to cultivate the local musicians to play out and stay in the area. This is something I'd have liked to do when I was younger, but never did. Good for them....

Rock Yer Socks

Music

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hartford has a lot of potential for an even stronger music scene. As it is tons of suburbanites head over to the Webster near Barry Square in Hartford, thousands pack the Meadows (Dodge Music Center) and Civic Center for big name shows such as the annual Dave Matthews Band Concert and tons also pack a variety of city bars, restaurants and even coffee shops for live music.

Northampton and New Haven have become strongholds for live local music...smaller versions of say Greenwich Village...and there is no reason Hartford cannot do the same because there are people from the Hartford area who travel to Northampton for music. Hartford could work to attract students from Hartford area schools (Trinity, UHART, UCONN, Wesleyan, etc) as well as Springfield/Amherst area schools.

Hartford has a lot of potential for an even stronger music scene. As it is tons of suburbanites head over to the Webster near Barry Square in Hartford, thousands pack the Meadows (Dodge Music Center) and Civic Center for big name shows such as the annual Dave Matthews Band Concert and tons also pack a variety of city bars, restaurants and even coffee shops for live music.

Northampton and New Haven have become strongholds for live local music...smaller versions of say Greenwich Village...and there is no reason Hartford cannot do the same because there are people from the Hartford area who travel to Northampton for music. Hartford could work to attract students from Hartford area schools (Trinity, UHART, UCONN, Wesleyan, etc) as well as Springfield/Amherst area schools.

Nice article on the front page of the Courant today about some kids that decided to take it into their own hands to rent out Halls and brings bands in to play. They get local (most importantly), and national acts to play, and it helps to cultivate the local musicians to play out and stay in the area. This is something I'd have liked to do when I was younger, but never did. Good for them....

Rock Yer Socks

Music

I'm always promoting Hartford as an international city so I will do it again here. Every weekend Hartford is full of live latin music, salsa to Spanish rock. The restaurant Ay Chihuahua on Franklin Avenue has Spanish rock shows every weekend, there is another place on Maple Ave(can't remember the name) that does as well. The Carioca Club has had salsa bands from Venezuala, Colombia, etc... play shows at their venue. And don't forget that back in the day Cuban Salsa star Celia Cruz recorded a DVD at the Bushnell.

www.latinmusictonight.com/shows.html

www.cariocaclub.com

Don't forget reggae, soca, and calypso music from the islands. The West Indian Social Club puts on shows just about every weekend. They get artists from all the islands, as well as Japan, England, Germany, etc... They have a lot of space there and when they get a very popular artist they can pull a lot people from out of state. Another place they promote reggae shows is the sportsman athletic club on main street.

www.westindiansocialclubinc.org

And in March their going to hold the 2nd Annual Trinity International Hip Hop Festival sponsored by Trinity College. They are going to have artists from Africa, Europe, Australia, and more there.

www.trinityhiphop.org

These types of things happen all the time. The clubs don't always want a mess of teenagers because they don't buy alcohol. I'm glad this group is making Hartford their home, but sadly, many of these hall bookings happen in the suburbs, and these kids have no idea how to navigate in cities anymore, since they are growing up further and further away from the city centers.

These types of things happen all the time. The clubs don't always want a mess of teenagers because they don't buy alcohol. I'm glad this group is making Hartford their home, but sadly, many of these hall bookings happen in the suburbs, and these kids have no idea how to navigate in cities anymore, since they are growing up further and further away from the city centers.

Archived