My Trip to Hobby Lobby

zenstyle

Yesterday I accompanied a friend to the above-named emporium. (She's quite a fan of the place, and wanted me to "experience" it.)

My first hint of what was to come: the sign on the door needlessly stating that employees get Sundays off to "worship with their families." Awwwww, ain't that sweet. So, in we go:

What a shrine to junk! It's filled chock-a-block with Cheap Chinese Crap. And the piped-in music had a Stepfordish xian whiff to it. O.K, so much for atmosphere, guess I'll browse.

The positives:

*Fresh-smelling eucalyptus, reasonably priced, and Made in USA, so said the label. Well, I don't need any eucalyptus at the moment.

*Beautiful Origami papers, some based on kimono prints; just stunning. Made in Japan (how's that for authentic?) I was very tempted, but realized I could find about the same in Schuler's or here in Eastown.

*Smallish- shopping carts, relatively speaking.

The negatives:

*Everything else! Truly a I-wouldn't-be-caught-dead experience. My friend had a gay ol' time, though, and I wouldn't deprive her. She's a fun person.

Now your mileage may vary, so don't pile on me.But it was intriguing to visit one of the Holy Shrines of Consumer Clutter Culture.

~~~zenstyle, your wayward reporter

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Grandma enjoys that place (I won't infer that says anything about your friend's age at all) And her house reflects it. I agree with your sentiment that it's sole purpose is to fill a house with unnecessary clutter. Although since my grandparents both grew up in rural culture, their desires and wants fit almost perfectly with the store. Their selection of lawn ornamentation is what they like. Bird feeder posts, and such things. While I admit every time I visit the place it looks increasingly ostentatious.

I think I must have been in that store the same day as you. My girlfriend needed a new sketch pad and since we were already on that horrible mess of a street we stopped there. I looked at the jigsaw puzzles there because I've lately been obsessed with city skyline puzzles, but even though it's supposed to be a hobby store the selection was dissapointing. The only puzzles they had were for children or the puzzles were of Thomas Kinkade wannabe paintings. Worst of all the place was packed, as was all of Alpine on Saturday. Can't people take a break from shopping now that Christmas is over?

Yeah, I was only venting. If everyone did stop shopping after Christmas that would have to include me and then I wouldn't notice to enjoy it. There are certain things that drive me crazy about a busy store, like when someone stops their shopping cart right in the center of an aisle so no one can get around it on either side, or when people are waiting to get your parking space before you even get in your car. That last one happened to me when I was leaving Hobby Lobby on Saturday. I felt like just sitting in my car for awhile until the people got really pissed off. It's not like there were no more spaces, these people are just too lazy to walk a few extra feet. I wouldn't be surprised it stores start installing conveyor belts in all the aisles so customers no longer have to move their legs!

• 6 months later...

I love that place! There's so much there and yes I avoid most of it. But the main thing are the areas that are good, pretty much decor aside, it has a good selection of yarns and fabric unlike Michael's and I find good prices. They have great framing prices as well.

Waiting for your parking space may not have been an indicator of laziness. Many, many infirmities and

physical disorders don't show, and not all require a handicap parking clearance. There are also many

people who may be recovered from a bone break, where the cast and crutches are gone, but the

tenderness remains. And can you always spot a pregnant woman through a car window? If someone is

waiting for your spot, trust this - it isn't personal!!! A little compassion, understanding, and awareness

goes a long way - witness your irritation of aisle parkers! There are no "these people". There is only you

and I and all the other you's and I's. Willingly contributing to more "pissiness" in the world is a great example

of unenlightenment. Shop at Hobby Lobby, where the occassional hymn plays over the PA, and then this?

Oh, the irony.

Archived