Schools going to Hell

monsoon

I kid you not, this was a math problem put forth in a public school in New Mexico.

"Smoky J. sells meth. Smoky's source says he has to sell a G's worth of meth by the end of the month". If Smoky sold 240 dollars the first week and 532 dollars the second week, how much money must Smoky make if he wants to avoid the beat down from his connection?"

I wonder what teacher though this was a good idea?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, actually a good friend of mine is a teacher at school in the PS (public school) system of Brooklyn. She e-mailed me a test where those actual problems were on the exam. It is real. Yeah, schools are going to hell in a handbasket decorated with a bright pretty ribbon.

I kid you not, this was a math problem put forth in a public school in New Mexico.

"Smoky J. sells meth. Smoky's source says he has to sell a G's worth of meth by the end of the month". If Smoky sold 240 dollars the first week and 532 dollars the second week, how much money must Smoky make if he wants to avoid the beat down from his connection?"

I wonder what teacher though this was a good idea?

I remember the standardized statewide writing test the year before I had to take it was met with a big load of controversy because the question was:

"If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be and why?" Oh heavens no!.. they had the gall to ask a student to identify something they didn't like about themselves and ask them why they'd change it? I am a liberal. But I am no friend of the PC crowd. As my mother says "I wasn't put into this world to tiptoe around peoples' feelings."

So, in reactive response, our question was "Identify something you've learned and explain how you learned it." I wrote about learning how to play the piano.. 3 pages. I pity the lowly state worker that had to read that and grade it.

I just hate it.. because you have the "liberal" fuzzy-wuzzy feel good about yourself PCers that want to make school "fun" and "friendly".... while you have the opposite crowd that would just assume we just learn Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic in a one room school house with a cross, pious witch for a teacher that makes a resounding thwack on the chalk board with every point she is trying to make and makes equally resounding thwacks on your head for getting answers wrong... in other words: Catholic school (This is what I hear from my mom's best friend who has had her share of nuns for teachers, including Sister Cloris, who despite her jolly laugh and friendly demeanor, is a God fearing woman that will do whatever it takes and employ all lengths of measuring sticks to make you fear God as well.)

Can we find a happy medium, please?

Archived