Dresden (Weakley County) lands Calpaco Paper facility

Rural King

Dresden has been announced as the location of a Calpaco Paper plant. Calpaco takes industrial rolls of paper and converts them into commercial formats. It will employ 100 to start and up to 300 in 5 years. Weakley County has been very hard hit with layoffs, plant closures, and slow job growth, so the announcement of this plant has been a major positive development for the county.

The local rail assets were cited as a primary deciding factor in the location. The proximity of the future I-69, the TN 22/I-169 spur to neigboring Martin from Union City/I-69, along with the forthcoming Cates Landing Riverport, could all have been positive factors as well.

Source:

West Tennessee Industrial Association

http://www.wtia.org/aboutwtia/announcement....php?Record=329

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In reference to this and your Dyer County post--it's great that rural West Tennessee seems to be holding its own in terms of manufacturing, despite the recent layoffs. For whatever reason, in the upper Midwest, there rarely seems to be these sort of announcements. If it wasn't for Minneapolis, this neck of the woods would just be one step up from the Mississippi Delta.

This and the Briggs & Stratton news are very good indeed. Echoing Sleepy, it does seem that NW Tennessee does a pretty good job in the manufacturing arena, especially the future I-69 corridor between Union City and Covington. With the future I-69 and the connectivity to I-155, US 412, and US 45E and 45W, trucking to and from factories and warehouses in the area does not seem to be a problem.

Along the line of manufacturing health, what is the long-term status of Goodyear in Union City and is Dana-Plumley maintaining a significant presence in Henry Co?

^The Union City Goodyear plant is usually rumored to be on the chopping block during contract, but this year it was Tyler, TX and Gadsen, AL that were mentioned, with Tyler getting the axe. The Union City plant from what I've always been told does a lot of specialty short run tire work and is really good at quickly changing over codes (tire type runs) so they seem to have a niche within the company, but that doesnt really mean anything for the longterm anymore for manufacturer's looking to save cost. The strike cost the local economy quite a bit, but with them back in the plant things are getting back to normal.

Both the Paris (Henry Co) and McKenzie (Carroll Co) Plumley/Dana operations seem to be in good shape. Paris years ago had a big layoff, but even afterwards employed a large number compared to most local manfacturers. Both of these plants will get extra jobs sent to them from the closure of the Fulton (KY) plant. Both McKenzie and Paris had extra space for the lines from that plant, so for cost saving measures they consolidated operations to those facilities. All the employees could follow their jobs from what I hear, and Fulton is not that far from Paris or McKenzie if one just had to commute and did not want to move to either town.

For an extra tidbit of good news for NWTN manufacturing, the Union City Messenger reported that the Union City is so close to selling/leasing the new 75K sq/ft spec builing to a prospective manufacturer that they have hired an architect who has already come out and started work on preparing plans for another 100K spec builing in the city's new industrial park. No word on what type of manufacturer or job count it may bring. Obion County seems to be following Dyer Counties lead in regards to promoting itself and its spec buildings.

Archived