Bearish on RI

brick

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can second Eltron. I came here for my specific job, which is an opportunity that for me only existed in Providence. I think if you are looking for low barriers to entry or an accelerated position, Providence (as a small state capital, minor center of industry, center of education, etc.) is an ideal place to be. I'm not sure we'd want to be Phoenix or Atlanta or Charlotte. And regarding downtown, I hate to always harp on this but do you remember what is was like 2 years ago? 5 years ago? 10 years ago? There is a palpable, steady improvement. Sure, we all wish it went faster, but this is city building. If it's genuine, it ain't quick.

When you spew indignance towards people like Tasso and Paolino, and then muse about how you actually like the city sized vacant lot in the middle of an area that has been infused with 10's of millions of dollars (most through the hands of one developer) That makes you a shill and an apologist.

I am loving the idea of the outdoor market but I do think it is kind of rationalizing what is a great (but somewhat predictable) disappointment. No offense to Cornish or Buff himself, we can't expect him to bleed money just to get a building on site.

So look at this awesome lineup of shows coming up:

2/25 Razorlight

3/11 The Horrors

3/22 The View

3/38 Bloc Party

4/7 The Stooges

4/9 The Walkman and Kaiser Chiefs

4/11 Klaxons

4/20 Asobi Seksu

5/10 Arcade Fire

5/11 LCD Soundsystem

5/16 Gang of Four

Yeah! Oh, except they are all playing Boston and not Providence. Seriously this is getting into the peak season and none of the indie types seem to really be considering Providence. It says a lot to me that even a Providence band like The Brother Kite are *skipping* Providence on their current tour. WTF?

At least TV on the Radio decided to come here.

When you spew indignance towards people like Tasso and Paolino, and then muse about how you actually like the city sized vacant lot in the middle of an area that has been infused with 10's of millions of dollars (most through the hands of one developer) That makes you a shill and an apologist.

You can hate what I say all you want, but until you have the courage to see what is going on, just keep being an apologist. If you really want to get angry peruse ALL my posts and check where I have lied, or even been wrong, about these people you so heartily defend.

Its difficult to have an intelligent discussion with such a self-important individual who is right about everything. Consider your UP membership resignation overwhelmingly accepted.

I was born in Providence, I've always lived in this state, and I think there is something special about this place. Some of us exist in a world that does not extend south of Westerly or east of Narragansett Bay. Such closeness has cultivated the political environment which I so love to hate. "I know a guy who owes me a favor." We'd rather give a man a fish to eat than teach him how to catch a million for himself. And so our state government continues to grow through nepotism, and the creative and skilled are driven out by our famously-outrageous taxes.

I decided to stay and invest in Providence anyway. I grew up in the 90s, and today I see Providence as a much different place. Dinner on Federal Hill, a Saturday night at Waterplace Park in the summer, outdoor concerts, the rich artistic presence, the vibrance of our diverse neighborhoods... some of the things I enjoy (off the top of my head) about Providence. I look forward to finding employment in the city and to someday start a business here.

I think its a beautiful place with great potential, I would be sad to have to leave someday, and Jen may be right that things will never change in my lifetime. But at least I can say I was a part of this place. Even though my political roadmap to economic prosperity for our city-state probably isn't widely embraced, at the end of the day I can at least say my motivation was not for personal gain but to change things and allow Providence to shine going forward.

At the risk of alienating any of the regulars here, I want to say that I appreciate pete11's participation in this community, and I think it would be a shame and a loss if he stopped posting here. Do I think that he hasn't been inflammatory? No. But I also think the content of his posts have been, at times, unfairly painted with personal feelings. Of course, none of my posts have been targeted by him, but I can appreciate the strong feelings around here. And yeah, I think some "editing" on pete11's part would do some good (I'm definitely a "more flies with honey" kind of guy).

Anyway, here's my vote against pete11's resignation, for whatever it's worth.

i have no problem with pete's comments or views that might go against my own. i do have a problem with personal attacks and blatant arrogance.

anyways... i never thought about moving here or even considered it until about a year into my unemployment after graduation. i wanted a job in IT (graduated college in 2001 right after the dot com bubble burst and 9/11). i went unemployed for 2 years before i applied, interviewed, and was offered a job at a college here in the city. i never thought i could love a place so much, but here i am and i have no intentions of ever leaving, unless i end up jobless and have no choice. i don't see that happening though. maybe i'm just lucky, but i couldn't be happier. i've been here a little more than 3 years now, getting married here, and the fiancee is planning on working here, hopefully in the city.

If anyone needs a reason to love RI, check out this urbanists' nightmare from another far-away thread:

What makes my stomach turn is that ao-called fellow "urban"-planeteers seem to be really excited and happy about this sea of asphalt and chain-flabmarkets created from drained swampland and styrofoam (and not at all picking up on the irony of Whole Foods being located there).

Given a choice between the economic boom being experienced by the southern states and that type of "town" or a beautiful quirky city like Providence with retailers and companies that have more creativity than business sense, I'll choose RI every time.

Given the proliferation of developments like the Centre of New England and the horror show above it would seem you can't have economic success without a lot of succ.

I am actively looking for a new job. There is virtually nothing in the Providence area that will pay anywhere near what I make working in Braintree, even after I account for quality of life issues with my sucky sommute. Providence jobs seem to be largely low paying clerical office work - the sweatshops of the 21st century.

I'd say the ratio of jobs in MA vs. RI is at least 4:1. . . there are a few prospects in RI -- for crappy-paying jobs. In tech writing, almost nothing -- it's all in Boston, Cambridge, Worcester, even Springfield seems to have a lot going on.

Very disappointing -- we thought Providence was a happening city with an actual local economy, and stuff! :dontknow:

Urb

I totally understand your frustration, Urb- my huband has gone through similar stuff in his job search. I think one of the biggest limiting factors is one of the things that's easiest to forget- that is, Mass. is just way, way, way BIGGER than RI. With 6.5x the population, there are just way more opportunities for work there. There are definitely great things about RI's small size, but it does translate to a much more limited job market. (I think there are advantages to working in a small market, but getting in in the first place is the trick)

I guess it's just another reason to encourage regionalism in planning, transportation, etc.

Well, I'm not sure it's just population/size. I mean, forget Boston/Cambridge -- there are more jobs (apparently) in Worcester and Springfield than there are in Providence. That says something fundamental, but I'm not sure what it is. Taxes too high? Too much regulation? Businesses don't pay off the right people to be allowed to locate here? Something's going on other than just the size of the city. I'd rather work in Providence, because it would be much more convenient, and because I'd rather pay income taxes to the state I live in -- but if the work ain't there, it ain't there....

Urb

Archived