Area Employment Patterns

Andrea

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know where you would find that sort of information but ironically I was just looking at a list of employment in US CBD's from the 2000 data. Atlanta ranked 10th with 129k in 2 square miles which I assume is downtown only. I've seen on the CAP website that there are 136k downtown workers but thats for the four sq mile DT area.

Ooh, I like that, Brad, very cool.

I wish they had something like that on even a more micro level. I've been observing the roads and freeways at rush hour lately, trying to figure out the commuting patterns. There is truth in what Ryan said -- there almost is no discernable pattern.

Wow, I was just reading about the Perimeter CIDs. This is really an increasingly significant area of the city:

Perimeter Business District

The Perimeter business district is the region’s largest employer district and one of the largest Class A corporate office markets in the southeast. It has a large concentration of Fortune 500 companies, 125 companies with 100 or more employees, the state’s largest concentration of medical facilities, and an estimated population that may be the region’s largest by 2025. There are currently 115,000 jobs in the corridor, with 213,000 jobs expected between 2008 and 2013. Overall, it represents a $3 billion real estate investment in metro Atlanta.

Facts

4,000 businesses

248 office buildings

115,000+ employees

30,000+ households

26 million square feet of office space (16,000,000 is Class A)

6 million square feet of retail space

Four MARTA rail stations

40,000 residents

Easy access to I-75, I-85, I-285, GA 400, SR 141, Hartsfield/Jackson Airport and Peachtree DeKalb Airport

Yeah, it's amazing what all those old dairy farms have turned into!

IMO, this is probably the nicest Edge City in the country (not counting Downtown Belleview, Clayton, Bethesda, etc). This is the largest concentration of white collar jobs between Tyson's & Texas (yes, including Florida here).

Yeah, it's amazing what all those old dairy farms have turned into!

IMO, this is probably the nicest Edge City in the country (not counting Downtown Belleview, Clayton, Bethesda, etc). This is the largest concentration of white collar jobs between Tyson's & Texas (yes, including Florida here).

John, you are right -- it wasn't very long ago at all that you could see cows grazing at 285 and Ashford-Dunwoody. :lol:

To go from there to the metro area's largest concentration of white collar jobs in 30 years is utterly phenomenal.

Here's some more interesting information from the Perimeter CIDS' website on the cost of commuting to society of automobile commuting:

Archived