The Hat Factory

wrldcoupe4

I thought I'd start a thread for Toad's Place Richmond a new 1200-1500 person concert venue/restaurant that will open this Spring on the Canal Walk in the Lady Bird Hat Bldg across from Vistas on the James.

Toad_Splash.jpg

I thought we could discuss the construction while it's still under construction, and then the thread could evolve into discussing the venue and acts once it opens this spring. That way, we are fair in giving both attention to the National and Toad's Place.

Also, the restaurant portion is tentatively called High Water and will include outdoor balcony dining overlooking the Canal Walk below.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they will both survive and thrive. Richmond has been without such venues forever while cities all around have tempted locals to hit the road for musical entertainment. In fact, because of these two, it's possible Richmond could be a music "destination".

It's good to have your comments Beas.

• 4 weeks later...

A SHOW IS BOOKED FOR TOAD'S PLACE RICHMOND ON 6/16/07.....THE WAYBACKS

WWW.POLLSTAR.COM

Good news, indeed, deeznatz.

I'm so glad you have joined us here.

If you go to the pollstar web site, in the upper left you will see Concert Search. Scroll down to Venue Schedule, then type in Toads Place Richmond. Deeznatz probably knows an easier way, but that's how I found it.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah--I also meant to ask if anyone knew if the Waybacks Show was for the annual Massey Cancer Center fundraiser. The timing is a little earlier than last year, but I think that is the only show they do in Richmond all year.

I just heard about this site about a week ago and am really excited to read the updates on everything. It is a nice antidote to all the negativity one gets from Brick and such. I thinik we are lucky enough to be getting one cool place, much less 2 or more. I hope everyone goes out and supports them.

Update!

Highwater Restaurant to open soon

Look for the Highwater restaurant to open in the next two months inside Toad's Place Richmond, the live-entertainment venue opening along the Canal Walk downtown.

The restaurant will be on the first level and be connected to Toad's Place in the renovated Lady Byrd Hat building.

Highwater will serve classic American cuisine with an intermingling of European, Asian, Southwestern and other flavors, said John Adamson, the co-owner of the Mellow Mushroom restaurant in Charlottesville, who will be Highwater's general manager.

Highwater patrons can purchase tickets at their table for shows at Toad's Place, and use the door that connects the restaurant to the venue.

It's exciting for everything to finally start coming together. With the Southern Railway Deli/Cafe and Vistas all coming online as well, I think we'll finally start to see a livelier Canal Walk.

MusicFan, glad you've heard about UP. Out of curiousity, did you just stumble upon it or what? Feel free to contribute whenever you want :thumbsup:

Workers let me peek into Toads Place. The stage is almost finished, but lots of work remains. HIGHWATER is the name of the restaurant that will adjoin Toads on the ground floor. The large corresponding space on the second level opening to balconies along the canal is still up for lease according to a gentleman from Joyner Real Estate who was trying to sell the final 24 units at Vistas. He doesn't think Toads will be ready by June, but I believe they will, judging from the progress I saw.

If this venue is still slated for a June opening, and many of its shows are to be booked in cooperation with the original venue in New Haven, this news I came across on the Toad's Place Wikipedia page does not seem bode well for a very successful first couple months.

"The legendary New Haven club will close for three months beginning May 6th, 2007, following charges stemming from a November 2005 raid by police and liquor inspectors. Toad's settled negotiations with the Connecticut State Liquor Commission November 2nd, agreeing to a 90-day suspension of its liquor license and a $90,000 fine for 2005's raid, during which the club was charged with a reported 90 counts of sales of alcohol to a minor. As part of its compromise with the liquor commission, Toad's Place admitted to 45 counts of sales of alcohol to a minor."

If this venue is still slated for a June opening, and many of its shows are to be booked in cooperation with the original venue in New Haven, this news I came across on the Toad's Place Wikipedia page does not seem bode well for a very successful first couple months.

"The legendary New Haven club will close for three months beginning May 6th, 2007, following charges stemming from a November 2005 raid by police and liquor inspectors. Toad's settled negotiations with the Connecticut State Liquor Commission November 2nd, agreeing to a 90-day suspension of its liquor license and a $90,000 fine for 2005's raid, during which the club was charged with a reported 90 counts of sales of alcohol to a minor. As part of its compromise with the liquor commission, Toad's Place admitted to 45 counts of sales of alcohol to a minor."

On the other hand, maybe it will be a boon for Toads Richmond. Perhaps they can absorb the bookings cancelled out by New Haven's problems -- and I'm sure Richmond will be extra careful about infringing on ABC laws after the New Haven troubles.

News about TOADS PLACE sort of got displaced this morning in the Dining Out Scene thread because the new restaurant, HIGHWATER, was being discussed.

The Granby Theater in Norfolk, also known as a club called Premier, got shut down a short while ago because of a shooting (no injuries) and 19 ABC violations. I think it is (was) more of a dance space than we we are expecting with TOADS and THE NAT. Word on the street is that it will reopen under new management in a month or two.

NORVA, on Monticello Street across from MacArthur Center in Central Norfolk continues to pack 'em in. It is the concert sister of Richmond's The National and the two halls will probably share some performance bookings.

Archived