The Hat Factory

wrldcoupe4

Jefferson Starship? HAHA Burt, they're from the 60s! I didn't think they were even still around. I think they started as Jefferson Airplane, then Jefferson Starship, then simply Starship. We built this city on rock and roll!

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not being familiar with the youth music scene I'm curious as to why the bookings are unfortunate?

Neither of these acts has much to do with the "youth music scene." As Cadeho pointed out, Jefferson Starship is rooted in late '60s act Jefferson Airplane, but these days is merely a dog and pony act consisting of 1 or 2 original members and cobbled-together fill-ins playing, often poorly, an hour of "hits", typically for small crowds at State Fairs and Office Park concerts. You could have probably booked them to play your living room in exchange for take-out and a beer. The Waybacks are a not-very-well known jam band that would probably be very appropriate for Cary St. Cafe (and might fill it).

The booking of these 2 acts is unfortunate because we already have plenty of places for acts like these to play. If that's who the promoters are going to book, building a new venue was hardly necessary. They'll have to step things up considerably to keep the doors open.

According to Pollstar, Jefferson Starship has lined up some fairly decent bookings -- certainly not the major venues, but some respectable places. I bet a quarter they will fill the house with baby boomers when they take to Toad's stage. On the other hand, Pollstar doesn't even list The Waybacks.

If you check out Pollstar, pull up The Norva and take a look at their long list of bookings. Of course, the names ring no bells with Ole' Man Burt, but I have a notion the acts are hot stuff with you young'ns. I suspect THE NATIONAL will present that type of edgy music. It has been reported that Widespread Panic will open The Nat, and apparently they have a huge following; they filled the Landmark a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe Toad's will pick up some of the bookings cancelled at Toads New Haven which will close for three months due to liquor violations. OR, maybe the local Toads plans to go with the Pat Benetars, BeeGees and similar prehistoric acts hoping to rope in the nostalgia crowd. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Toad's Place website is up...

Toad's Place

You're a fount of information today, JSI. :yahoo:

So it appears TOADS PLACE RICHMOND will open July 17th with a group called SHOUT IT LOUD TOUR.

Is this an act known to you youngsters? Apparently an earlier notice of The Waybacks and a June 16th opening are incorrect.

I like the website.

I guess the Shout It Loud tour's star is Reel Big Fish. Here is their itinerary from Pollstar: Fish apparently is traveling with Less Than Jake.

http://pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?Cont...tartSearch.y=12

I believe both were known from the late 90s, but I am not sure if they ever made radio. Not a bad start.

Less Than Jake had some good songs they had a few songs on my Hockey game NHL 2003 by EA Sports. Less Than Jake seems to be pretty well known around Freeman. I can't remember if they were Heavy Metal or just your every day Modern Rock Band.

Pop-punk-type band.

I remain utterly unimpressed- they're still booking bands that could easily play existing venues in town.

I did read in the Weekend section the schedule for Fridays at Sunset... too bad I work Fridays and I've been working Fridays for years! I last saw Chaka Khan in 2003! And what is this about a Short Pump Summer Concert Series? :angry:

I did read in the Weekend section the schedule for Fridays at Sunset... too bad I work Fridays and I've been working Fridays for years! I last saw Chaka Khan in 2003! And what is this about a Short Pump Summer Concert Series? :angry:

Hah. They over-exaggerate the Short Pump 'Concert Series.' They just have a few local bands such as the Kings of Swing and Marna Bales come play at sptc.

Hah. They over-exaggerate the Short Pump 'Concert Series.' They just have a few local bands such as the Kings of Swing and Marna Bales come play at sptc.

Tommy, we're hearing far too little from you lately. I miss your reports, pictures and comments.

It's about time for updates on projects in the far, far West End.

I hope you and Joey will visit an "all ages" concert at Toads and give us a youthful assessment.

Pop-punk-type band.

I remain utterly unimpressed- they're still booking bands that could easily play existing venues in town.

BGW, what do you predict for the National? Do you consider NorVa a cutting edge venue, and do you think its Richmond cousin will book similar musical acts?

Is Blackfinn going to offer entertainment? I gather from its web page and my space that it will compete with some of the Bottom's "pretty people" venues.

BGW, what do you predict for the National? Do you consider NorVa a cutting edge venue, and do you think its Richmond cousin will book similar musical acts?

If the current crop of bookings at The Norva is indicative of what The National will book (bear in mind that it's very unlikely an act would play both places on a tour swing), then there will be lots of half-empty nights. If the next 4 months of bookings at the Norva were to play at The National, I'd maybe be interested in 2 shows.

At Last, Toad's Sets June Opening Date

The 1,500-capacity live music venue in the revamped Lady Byrd Hat building near the Turning Basin will debut June 7 with a public fundraiser for Greater Richmond SCAN (Stop Child Abuse Now), then present its first concert June 21 with retro-swing group Squirrel Nut Zippers....

Other concerts on the initial itinerary include the Summer of Love Tour with Jefferson Starship, Big Brother & The Holding Company, Quicksilver Messenger Service and Tom Constanten on July 5; Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder on July 13; The Michael Schenker Group on July 20; Reel Big Fish with Less Than Jake, Streetlight Manifesto and Against All Authority on July 21; and jazz guitarist Ken Navarro on Aug. 5....

Other acts waiting for final confirmation include George Thorogood and the Destroyers, rapper Mims and George Clinton and Parliament/Funkadelic.

Hahaha. What a name -- Squirrel Nut Zippers! BGW, are you one of their fans?

McLaw, I hope you can find a better tag than the above for your new and promising band. :lol: Have you contacted Toads or the Nat about possible dates?

And what's wrong with keeping the McLawsdrive name?

Hahaha. What a name -- Squirrel Nut Zippers! BGW, are you one of their fans?

Not quite. And, again, they'd have easily filled the place 10 years ago, but these days? Not so much.

My old ears don't get along with today's music, but I think I'll check Jet Blue to see if they offer a cheap flight around August 4th. If so, I might just fly in to see the facility and listen to jazz guitarist Ken Navarro. Maybe they'll put in temporary seating for that event. :thumbsup:

Anybody want to make a party of it? We could meet, have drinks and dinner at HIGHWATER and enjoy the concert.

Okay, wow. I'm really starting to get a more positive vibe about this Toad's Place. It really IS going to carve a niche in Richmond for larger acts.

Some noteworthy ska bands... Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, Streetlight Manifesto, and AAA are playing July 21st. You'll be sure to catch me there! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the following email from Venture Richmond today listing the upcoming shows at the Toad's Place Richmond. The line up looks OK...I guess. There are a couple bands that I recognize such as Reel Big Fish and Bowling for Soup which has been a big name lately. Anyway, here it is:

Coming Soon - Toad's Place of Richmond

www.ToadsPlaceRVA.com

140 Virginia Street, Richmond, VA 23219

Toad's Place of Richmond is a 20,000 square foot entertainment venue with the capacity to hold 1500 people for a diverse range of live performances from the national to the local level. It has outdoor seating for dining along the Canal Walk as well.

Entertainment Line-up:

Squirrel Nut Zippers

with The Old Ceremony

Thursday, June 21st at 8pm

Senses Fail

with From Autumn to Ashes

Friday, June 29th at 7:30pm

Independence Day Extravaganza

Bruce in the USA

Tuesday, July 3rd at 8pm

Summer of Love Tour

featuring Jefferson Starship, Big Brother and the Holding Company, Quicksilver Messenger Service and Tom Constanten -of The Grateful Dead-

Thursday, July 5th at 7pm

Bowling For Soup

with Melee, Quietdrive, Army of Freshman

Sunday, July 8th at 6:30pm

Hawthorne Heights

with From First to Last, Secondhand Serenade, Brighten, Powerspace

Thursday, July 12th at 6pm

Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder

Friday, July 13th at 7:30pm

It's starting to fill in :)

Carbon Leaf

Thu, June 7th Doors 8:00pm all ages

with Poston Brown Project

Squirrel Nut Zippers

Thu, June 21st Doors 8:00pm all ages

special guests The Old Ceremony

Senses Fail

Fri, June 29th Doors 7:30pm all ages

with From Autumn to Ashes

Independence Day Extravaganza!!!

Tue, July 3rd Doors 8:00pm 18 & up

Bruce in the USA, special guest TBA

Summer of Love Tour

Thu, July 5th Doors 7:00pm all ages

featuring Jefferson Starship, Big Brother & The Holding Company, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Tom Constanton

Bowling for Soup

Sun, July 8th Doors 6:30pm all ages

with Melee, Quiet Drive, Army of Freshman

Hawthorne Heights

Thu, July 12th Doors 6:00pm all ages

with From First to Last, Second Hand Serenade, Brighten, Powerspace

Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder

Fri, July 13th Doors 7:30pm

Show 8:30pm all ages

MIMS

Thu, July 19th Doors 9:00pm 18 & up

Michael Schenker Group