The Hat Factory

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha coupe i've been hearing that song around school for the past few days. I also like this Lineup I mean some of the Bands I like are finally coming to Richmond. I mean Hawthorne Heights,Quiet Drive,Bowling for Soup Im glad there all coming here. I'd really like to see Linkin Park come here that would be a Concert I would Definitly go too!!!!

George Thorogood and The Destroyers is the latest addition to Toads first season. They will appear on August 26th. Tickets range from $25 to $30.

I was a bit surprised that the Ricky Skaggs concert with Kentucky Thunder on July 13th will be commanding $40 to $50 per ticket. Not because Skaggs couldn't fill much larger venues at that or higher admission cost, but because I was under the impression Toads, The National, NorVa, Birchmere, 9:30 and similar clubs generally book less costly acts. I'm sure Skaggs will have no trouble selling 1600 ducats at Toads.

I'm still curious about whether or not Richmond can handle Toad's Place... how much support will there be for a venue of that size? How much will Richmond support Toad's AND The National Theather?

Time will tell.

Considering that Hampton Roads with less disposable income and half a million more people than Richmond routinely fills 18,000 seats at Virginia Beach Pavillion and has attracted over a million to NorVa, filled the Granby Theatre before it was closed for various violations, and will open Club Sevens, a four-story diverse dance/music club downtown Norfolk in June, plus other venues at Waterside and in Portsmouth and on The Peninsula, I have no fears of Richmond flling a couple of long overdue music halls.

Charlottesville has a lot going on, too, considering its size, but I predict Richmond will draw audiences from all directions to The National, Toad's, and in 2009, to the Carpenter Theatre as well.

Time will tell.

Considering that Hampton Roads with less disposable income and half a million more people than Richmond routinely fills 18,000 seats at Virginia Beach Pavillion and has attracted over a million to NorVa, filled the Granby Theatre before it was closed for various violations, and will open Club Sevens, a four-story diverse dance/music club downtown Norfolk in June, plus other venues at Waterside and in Portsmouth and on The Peninsula, I have no fears of Richmond flling a couple of long overdue music halls.

Charlottesville has a lot going on, too, considering its size, but I predict Richmond will draw audiences from all directions to The National, Toad's, and in 2009, to the Carpenter Theatre as well.

I am sure a considerable percentage of both the Hampton Roads and C-ville venues are coming from Richmond and surrounding rural areas. These new Richmond venues should easily be successful.

I am sure a considerable percentage of both the Hampton Roads and C-ville venues are coming from Richmond and surrounding rural areas. These new Richmond venues should easily be successful.

Right, Ice. People love new places, especially if they are visually attractive.

Richmonders have never had venues like Toad's, so they have to go to other cities to enjoy the same acts. I think it will definitely be successful.

Not entirely true. Toad's is trying to fill the niche the Flood Zone once filled. The difference is that The Flood Zone booked up-and-coming and established mid-level bands. Toad's, with a few exceptions, seems to be booking has-beens and bands that could easily fit in sub-500 capacity spots. I've yet to see an act booked that's remotely exciting or that required a new, larger venue.

Well, that may be, BGW, but it doesn't mean that these less-than-current music acts won't fill the house -- if for no other reasons than the venue is new and Richmond has a lot of nostagia fans.

Music tastes will expand with exposure to Lambs of God, Carbon Leaf and one or two others.

I bet The Nat will be more your style with its NorVa type bookings..

BGW Let me point this out to you. When you say you've yet to see a band exciting you just mean to your benefit I would guess. Thats what ticks me off people aren't satisfied because its not to there benifit. I wish people like that would find something else to do because there always looking for something to there benefit and not to anyone elses sorry for the ranting everyone but BGW please give me an exclamation on that comment because if you just mean to your benefit you got alot to learn. Because I hate people when they do stuff to there benefit and not the peoples. Just like the city council they do it to there best interest and benefits and not for the good of the people. Thats whats wrong with peoples these days they don't do good for other people they just do it to THEIR BENEFIT!!!!

BGW Let me point this out to you. When you say you've yet to see a band exciting you just mean to your benefit I would guess. Thats what ticks me off people aren't satisfied because its not to there benifit. I wish people like that would find something else to do because there always looking for something to there benefit and not to anyone elses sorry for the ranting everyone but BGW please give me an exclamation on that comment because if you just mean to your benefit you got alot to learn. Because I hate people when they do stuff to there benefit and not the peoples. Just like the city council they do it to there best interest and benefits and not for the good of the people. Thats whats wrong with peoples these days they don't do good for other people they just do it to THEIR BENEFIT!!!!

I may be wrong, but I'm guessing you're not much of a rock club kinda guy. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but spend some time going to shows and you'll understand what I'm saying. There are 2 basic types of people who go to rock clubs in Richmond. One type is a music fan and one type is an "event" fan. Of the bands Toads has booked right now, maybe 25% draw a "music fan" crowd- Lamb of God, Senses Fail, P-Funk, Reel Big Fish (maybe- that might be a stretch). The rest are dependent on crowds who are primarily there to socialize, and might think "that one Squirrel Nut Zippers song was funny, but I didn't know they were still around." Trouble is, those socializers aren't going to go to a rock club downtown. They're going to go to Sharkeys at Innsbrook or Have a Nice Day or Friday Cheers, while Jefferson Starship plays to 200 people. Meanwhile, the thousand kids who would turn out to see Interpol or The Hold Steady or countless others are still driving to DC or Chapel Hill.

Alley Katz has been through it, Canal Club has been through it...I find no reason Toads will be any different. So it's not about what's to my benefit. It's about reality. I wish them well, but past experience tells me they're going to have a tough time.

And the magic number is 7!!! :yahoo:

:offtopic: Back to the topic...

I doubt anybody else cares, but I'm curious.. What the hell does your mystic comment about "magic number 7" mean?

Now, back to topic, I wonder if tickets are selling for any of the announced gigs at Toad's? Finding out may be a barometer of what can be expected.

I may be wrong, but I'm guessing you're not much of a rock club kinda guy. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but spend some time going to shows and you'll understand what I'm saying. There are 2 basic types of people who go to rock clubs in Richmond. One type is a music fan and one type is an "event" fan. Of the bands Toads has booked right now, maybe 25% draw a "music fan" crowd- Lamb of God, Senses Fail, P-Funk, Reel Big Fish (maybe- that might be a stretch). The rest are dependent on crowds who are primarily there to socialize, and might think "that one Squirrel Nut Zippers song was funny, but I didn't know they were still around." Trouble is, those socializers aren't going to go to a rock club downtown. They're going to go to Sharkeys at Innsbrook or Have a Nice Day or Friday Cheers, while Jefferson Starship plays to 200 people. Meanwhile, the thousand kids who would turn out to see Interpol or The Hold Steady or countless others are still driving to DC or Chapel Hill.

Alley Katz has been through it, Canal Club has been through it...I find no reason Toads will be any different. So it's not about what's to my benefit. It's about reality. I wish them well, but past experience tells me they're going to have a tough time.

hey, I'd pay just to see Jefferson Starship play "We Built This City."

I think we need to wait a little bit before we determine what acts Toad's will attract. It has to be hard booking bands with the prolonged construction. As a matter of fact, I stuck my head in there today and I am very skeptical that it will be ready by June 7.

It did look cool however.

Our friend creative over at RCW says George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic are booked into Toads Place Sunday, September 23rd.

How does the group rate in the youth culture, BGW? Seems to me I heard of them years ago. Will it be another low-key nostalgia trip for Toads?

I thought George Clinton was a stand-up comic! :dontknow:

Based on this, I kind of agree with Downtowner...interpol hasn't announceed a single club date...ANYWHERE...and The Hold Steady's lone eastcoast date is in Asheville, NC in a club that holds...wait for it...500 people. Sorry about the sarcasm, but the point is that you are making sweeping, unfounded comments.

Does anyone know how many people the Flood Zone held? I doubt it was close to 1500 people. Plus, it was disgusting (the urinal trough...ugh).

I guess it depends on configuration, but I have read capacity estimates for Canal Club ranging from 400 to 700 and up to about 500 for Alley Katz.

Toads will be able to handle about 1400 at capacity I believe.

The Nat says its capacity will be 1500.

I was just looking at listings of concerts coming up this summer at inRich. No local venue was listed, but the facilities in Portsmouth and Charlottesville appear to be booking groups similar to those coming to Toads.

I wish good fortune and full houses to Toads and The Nat as well as to other local music venues. Maybe the two new halls will change perceptions about Richmond's drawing power at the box office.

Archived