The Hat Factory

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I may be wrong, but I'm guessing you're not much of a rock club kinda guy. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but spend some time going to shows and you'll understand what I'm saying. There are 2 basic types of people who go to rock clubs in Richmond. One type is a music fan and one type is an "event" fan. Of the bands Toads has booked right now, maybe 25% draw a "music fan" crowd- Lamb of God, Senses Fail, P-Funk, Reel Big Fish (maybe- that might be a stretch). The rest are dependent on crowds who are primarily there to socialize, and might think "that one Squirrel Nut Zippers song was funny, but I didn't know they were still around." Trouble is, those socializers aren't going to go to a rock club downtown. They're going to go to Sharkeys at Innsbrook or Have a Nice Day or Friday Cheers, while Jefferson Starship plays to 200 people. Meanwhile, the thousand kids who would turn out to see Interpol or The Hold Steady or countless others are still driving to DC or Chapel Hill.

Alley Katz has been through it, Canal Club has been through it...I find no reason Toads will be any different. So it's not about what's to my benefit. It's about reality. I wish them well, but past experience tells me they're going to have a tough time.

I get what you are saying, but I do think you are being a little negative, especially since it is just getting going. It has got to take some time to reach out and make connections with booking agents, etc. I also think that most people in the Richmond area, esp. suburbanites, have yet to hear anything about these places and what they will be like. For the most part, the acts booked so far are less than mpressive and easily could be booked at Canal Club or Innsbrook Pavilion, but I think Lamb of God and PFunk are more the type of act that we can expect in the future. A taste of what is to come on a more regular basis, if you will.

Also, to compare Alley Katz, the Canal Club, and even the Flood Zone, to either Toad's or the National is just very difficult, because they are nothing like each other. These new venues will truluy be something Richmond has never seen before, so I think that has to be factored into any predictions on how they will fare. The favt that both are brand new, clean, and just first class will help make the average "event" fan much more comfortable and likely to return. I remeber hearing all this great stuff about the Canal Club, and it is the biggest piece of crap I've ever seen.

Ultimately I predict that Toad's will tread water for 3-5 years and then probablu succumb to the weight of its competitor, The National, which I have absolutely no doubt will be a huge success. The National is first class, you can just tell. I wish them both the best, and it would be great having two first class venues, but even DC has only one 930 Club-style venue. There really is nothing else like it there....I mean the Capitol Ballroom was for awhile but it did not succeed.

In the meantime, I fully expect to be getting quality shows at one or both if these venues....Interpol, My Morning Jacket, Wilco, and even some super big names every now and then, like the Norva and 930 get.

As soon as my family group can organize itself, we are going to make reservations to hear jazz guitarist Ken Navarro on August 5th. There will be seating called Golden Circle down front at $30 per ticket. Another option, which we will forego, would be a skybox accommodating up to 10 people starting at $500 plus admissions, and includes a pre-show reception.

HIGHWATER, the adjoining full-service restaurant, is not yet open but is expected to be operational well before the Ken Navarro concert.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an inRich story by Dan Nieman about the opening last night of Toads Place.

As Henry pointed out in recent comments, it reads to me as if the club is not yet ready for prime time. A liquor license has not been obtained (perhaps within 2 weeks) and capacity is limited to about 1000 due to lack of dining/bar/lounge facilities. The resident restaurant, Highwater, may not be ready for another 30 to 45 days.

Like I often do, Nieman got his directions reversed -- he says the club is a block east of 14th Street when its true orientation is west of that thoroughfare.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/enter...06-22-0186.html

The RT-D claims that Toad's Place is still waiting on their ABC license. From the looks of this view from Vistas camera, they are making sure they are ready to go once the license comes through!

591549798_c5712fc7f0_o.gif

Hi folks! Yeah they were selling beer down there tonight. I saw them wheeling in cases at lunch today and when we walked by there tonight the Frog (sorry, the Toad) told us (actually the guy next to the Toad told us, evidently the Toad doesnt talk) they were serving tonight. The top two floors still weren't open though. I peeked in the entrance (they were going through the smaller one up some stairs on the canal side) and saw that the hallway was still under construction. I'm wondering how the the entrance is going to be done once its finished - The central doors on ground level canal side (still shut) have got to be the main Toads entrance - There is a beautiful 3-story rock feature right through those doors (the waterfall wasnt on yet) and staircases wrapping around both sides going up to the 2nd and third levels. Does anybody know if Highwater is going to share the same entrance?

For GWAR fans, note that they will appear at Toads Place on Wednesday, Aug. 15th at 7:30PM. Tickets, now on sale, are $18 in advance, $20 day of show.

Thanks for your informative comments, SGrove. Have you been inside the concert section of the building? I'm dying to hear what it looks like - how good is the stage, lighting, sound, etc?

Did anybody hear Carbon Leaf there last night?

Creative is generally upbeat in his story about TOADS PLACE. Lots of ongoing work is necessary, and I gather the stage is no where near as large as the one at The Nat -- but since The National is a real, actual theatre, it is to be expected.

The overhanging interior balcony with sky suites and bars isn't finished yet, and there is no access thus far to the balconies overlooking the canal, nor is the restaurant (HIGHWATER?) which will have a waterfall feature anywhere near opening.

Creative says lighting and sound seem professionaly installed.

I don't understand the "temporary" beer license situation but gather it was arranged by SCAN, sponsor of Carbon Leaf's appearance.

Read Creative's report highlighted above.

Now, what can anyone tell us about CAPITAL ALE HOUSE MUSIC HALL on Main between 6th and 7th Streets? It was supposed to be operational last night. Did anyone go?

Also, Drive-by-Truckers was performing up the road at Brown's Island last night. Was there also an event at Kanawa Plaza's Sunset Concert series?

Creative is generally upbeat in his story about TOADS PLACE. Lots of ongoing work is necessary, and I gather the stage is no where near as large as the one at The Nat -- but since The National is a real, actual theatre, it is to be expected.

The overhanging interior balcony with sky suites and bars isn't finished yet, and there is no access thus far to the balconies overlooking the canal, nor is the restaurant (HIGHWATER?) which will have a waterfall feature anywhere near opening.

Creative says lighting and sound seem professionaly installed.

I don't understand the "temporary" beer license situation but gather it was arranged by SCAN, sponsor of Carbon Leaf's appearance.

Read Creative's report highlighted above.

Now, what can anyone tell us about CAPITAL ALE HOUSE MUSIC HALL on Main between 6th and 7th Streets? It was supposed to be operational last night. Did anyone go?

Also, Drive-by-Truckers was performing up the road at Brown's Island last night. Was there also an event at Kanawa Plaza's Sunset Concert series?

I think Capital was open, as I was leaving town from berry Burk I could hear music and there is only one place close enough that I can actually here is coming from... that would be Capital.

Since you're familiar with that area, journi, will you please tell us the status of the following: Old Cafeins at 4th and Grace. What, if anything, occupies the building?

The Cotton Club which I believe is on upper levels of Manhattan's Restaurant on 5th across from The John Marshall. Also, there might be something called The Paradise Club in this mix. I believe a former mayor of Petersburg operates some or all of these together with her son who has gotten away with defying authority at his club formerly known as Boss on Harrison.

News reports as recent as a few months ago report gunfire emanating from or near some of these establishments in the 4th/5th/Grace Street area.

I'm all for night life, but I'm also for refusal of admittance to gun toters despite Virginia's permissive law in this regard.

And not to lose sight of topic at hand, Toads Place appears to have a lot of bookings lined up for upcoming months.

Since you're familiar with that area, journi, will you please tell us the status of the following: Old Cafeins at 4th and Grace. What, if anything, occupies the building?

The Cotton Club which I believe is on upper levels of Manhattan's Restaurant on 5th across from The John Marshall. Also, there might be something called The Paradise Club in this mix. I believe a former mayor of Petersburg operates some or all of these together with her son who has gotten away with defying authority at his club formerly known as Boss on Harrison.

News reports as recent as a few months ago report gunfire emanating from or near some of these establishments in the 4th/5th/Grace Street area.

I'm all for night life, but I'm also for refusal of admittance to gun toters despite Virginia's permissive law in this regard.

And not to lose sight of topic at hand, Toads Place appears to have a lot of bookings lined up for upcoming months.

The Cafeins at 4th and Grace I do believe is something else now, depends on which corner of that intersection... there is a nice cafe on the side opposite a night club (which has recently closed due to the violence you mentioned above). The Cotton Club is still hopping, as the line to the 3rd floor alley way entrance is often around the block. It gets loud from people leaving, but they are generally well-behaved, since about 5 police cars park around the area thursday through monday nights. Paradise Lounge is on the first floor attached to the cotton club, with access upstairs. Paradise is well done inside with fluffy couches and tables with each having its own plasma tv. When my wife and I visited there to get a menu, we got the impression we wouldnt be comfortable there by the host... so take that as you will. Oh and to stay on the topic... Toads will make a nice offset to the Cotton Clubs acts which are more 'urban' oriented, and draw the more raucous crowds out.

Anything else Burt just ask... I just put a slight update up on the M & R project too...

If and when The John Marshall Hotel building ever gets going again, I wonder how this hip hop club activity will affect sales of condos -- or at M&R, for that matter?

Journi, are you hearing any word about a restaurant on the ground level of Berry Burk? Millie's tossed its hat in for a go at it about a year ago, but quietly slipped away from further considerstion.

M&R says it has plans for about 25,000 s/f of commercial along its Broad Street frontage. What will happen on the Grace Street side? The buildings adjacent to BB and across from M&R on Grace have a great deal of charm and potential for retail, IMO.

For GWAR fans, note that they will appear at Toads Place on Wednesday, Aug. 15th at 7:30PM. Tickets, now on sale, are $18 in advance, $20 day of show.

Thanks for your informative comments, SGrove. Have you been inside the concert section of the building? I'm dying to hear what it looks like - how good is the stage, lighting, sound, etc?

Did anybody hear Carbon Leaf there last night?

Finally! I can attain my life long dream of sweenig GWAR in Richmond!!!!

I skipped out on seeing Carbon leaf this time, beacuse I've seen them twice, and their set always feels mind-numbingly long.

Archived