Death toll from flu rises to four in Minnesota

Snowguy716

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/999807.html

Two 8 year olds, a 17 month old, and now a 44 year old fire fighter have died due to symptoms of the flu.

I find it kind of scary, actually, that a 44 year old man died from the flu.

My entire family came down with a rather nasty flu bug right at Christmas time that lasted an unusually long time and included worse than normal symptoms (body aches, fever, general misery) but less sniffling and sneezing than normal. My nephew had a fever of 104*F and my sister brought him to the ER on Christmas Eve because of it.

Have you had the flu going around? Did you get a flu shot?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't find those numbers alarming, pre-teen children can have an extremely hard time with the flu. I do get a flu shot every year just because my job has me travelling over a wide region and I come in contact with a large amount of people.

When I was in 5th grade(early '83), there was an EXTREMELY nasty strain of flu running around where I lived. I came down with it and got extremely sick. I suffered the first week at home and on Fri. night of that week my parents put me in the hospital. My flu had progressed into pneumonia. I was in the hospital for right at 1 month. I couldn't eat or drink anything and lost 35 lbs in 4 days. They also had to give me all my medicine thru IV's. There was so much medicine coming thru that it would cause my arms to swell to the point they were having to move my IV connection 3-4 times per day to the other arm or other areas of the body. I couldn't break up any of the congestion and they did a bronoscopy to get a sample. During that procedure, I woke up and had my lung punctured and it subsequently collapsed. The doctor's had told my parents that they didn't think they could save me and that it would be prudent to make my funeral arrangements. Fortunately, somehow things turned around and I'm still here! :yahoo:

Kids that year had it real bad, as a matter of fact I remember the hospital being filled beyond capacity during my entire stay. So, some years are worse than others and like the officials say; the young and elderly are most susceptible.

I'm scared to death of the flu. I have never had the flu. I"m scared to get the flu shot. Every year I think, "is this my year?" It's very strange and scary to me that 40 year old people are dying---man that's the prime of your life right there. I'm always reminded of the Captain Tripps superflu in that Stephen King book......

The longest flu I've ever had was about 3 or 4 days... but those are not fun days. I think it is almost good to get the flu every couple of years so you can build resistance to several different strains. It would likely help your body in the event of a bird flu outbreak to at least sort of recognize the strain and attack it likewise.

Archived