Concord Mills Wal-Mart

Neo

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^Over and over again. My hometown is soon to have two abandoned Wal-Mart stores. The current store will close this summer when the new SuperCenter opens. In the Charlotte area, we'll have empty and partially empty Wal-Marts in University City, Eastway Crossing, Mooresville, Concord, and Rock Hill.

Why single out IKEA? Besides, they don't have a history of building and leaving every three to four years leaving behind empty shells.

Mooresville has a partially empty Wal-Mart as does Concord. The store in Mooresville was partially leased by a farm supply store; the one in Concord is partially leased by Big Lots.

The Mill's Malls I've been to that have been built for several years are surrounded by big box development. When Concord Mills was first built, I knew this would follow. I expect it, and to some degree welcome it. It's always my choice whether to go over there and get involved with all that traffic.

I'd also like to see a Super Walmart in Huntersville/Cornelius. Hey, maybe Lake Village.

I think that these three Super Wal-Marts will all be successful because, in a sense, they will be serving different people. The store by Concord Mills will serve the mall crowd and all of the tourists that come to spend a weekend to go shopping or visit the speedway. This will occur especially on race weeks where people will stock up while they stay at their campers by the speedway b/c many tourists don't know where the nearest wal-mart is. The store by Ikea will serve the UCity crowd and the University crowd. The store in Concord will keep on serving the residents of Concord and Harrisburg who dont want to deal with mall traffic or Ikea traffic. So, I know it is terrible to have so many wal-marts in such a short distance, but IMO I think they will all be successful.

But back to the topic at hand. There will be THREE Wal-Mart SuperCenters in an area of just over five square miles. Add to that the fact that Wal Mart still has a vacant store in Concord and will give us another one in University City, and most people would agree that it's reason reason enough for the area to NOT have another store. How many Wal-Mart skeletons do we have to endure? At least Target is adding onto its University City store instead of pulling out and building on a greenfield site.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't about the Wal-Mart on Concord Mills Blvd. but about another big box store going up on Concord Mills Blvd. There is a building permit being reviewed for Sports Authority to build a new 42k sq. ft. building. I'm not sure of the exact location but the permit lists it as being at Pavilion at Kings Grant. Other sports stores currently in the building process at the moment in this immediate area is an Edwin Watts Golf Store across from BJ's and a new Dick's is being built next to the new Super Target off of Kannapolis Parkway a couple of exits up I-85.

While another big box is another big box, I don't think the Sports Authority is going to bring in a lot of traffic, it will probably just catch a lot of the convenience shoppers out there.

As for the Dick's, what is the other big box that is currently being built in there? Last time I drove by I saw two under construction but the other did not have a sign in front. This was about two weeks ago I believe.

As for the Dick's, what is the other big box that is currently being built in there? Last time I drove by I saw two under construction but the other did not have a sign in front. This was about two weeks ago I believe.

I believe it is Ashley Furniture as they have a permit out for address 6060 Bayfield and Dick's is at 6080 Bayfield. Here are some more things with outstanding permits that are going in over in the same shopping center as Super Target:

• Dickey's BBQ Pit

• Sport Clips

• Great Clips

• Dress Barn

• Stein Mart

• Party City

• Maurices

• Lane Bryant

• Arby's

To add to the immediate area where Wal-Mart wants to build their new supercenter, there is now a permit awaiting authorization for a new apartment complex, 396k sq. ft. worth. It will be located on the southeast corner of Concord Mills Blvd. and Thunder Rd. The name will be Crescent Apartments at Concord Mills.

post-1-1172872426_thumb.jpg

post-1-1172872426_thumb.jpg

This area is going to be a big super size parking most of the time. How is the current road system going to handle all this traffic? I was up there a few Saturdays ago, and it took me approx. 15 minutes to get to the movie theater from I 85.

Archived