Hartford & New Britain Photos

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure capital lunch is good everyone says that. I was just making a joke that the only time I ate there I got the runs! lol

As for the neighborhoods, many in the picture need help. They are dirty, run down and not cared for. I'm not saying all are, but many in those pictures are pretty bad. That is a problem we the people have to adress and not the government. I grew up in Waterbury so I'm not just throwing stones. My old neighborhood is a mess too.

Sigh...you know what, I'm not going to perpetuate the puerile comportment you portray with an off the cuff riposte. (http://dictionary.reference.com to help you along)

I will simply say this: If you don't think the neighborhoods are in need of help or that they are run down, you are in denial. The following pictures say it all.

I suggest you look in the mirror before calling someone stupid.

Have a nice day.

It seems like the PUBLIC infrastructure is in much worse shape than most of the actual buildings in those pictures. That's not resident's faults. And maybe if some new streetscapes were put in then some of these neighborhoods could be revitalized. Why make your dwelling or business look nice when your sidewalk looks like post World War II Europe?

There is no doubt that those neighborhoods pictured are run town. The main culprits though are the city and the absentee property owners. I know for a fact most owner occupied buildings/houses, even in rough areas, are far better maintained. Look at the streets and sidewalks though. The lightposts. They are all in desperate need of repair/replacement. That's what City Hall should be doing. This is where I agree with you JayHess that suburban governments seem like they are better serving their municipalities. Those city improvements would go a long way. Then we move onto property owners and create incentives and punitive actions to spur action. Two pretty acheivable things in my opinion. The question is where the hell is the initiative and why is it taking so long?

Tycoon, you will get absolutely no arguement from me on those points. I agree.

I WOULD add that the residents can do SOMETHING to help keep their streets clean and such though. If it was ME, even if I was renting - a can of paint is cheap, plant some flowers...do SOMETHING.

I think it's a combination of some of the residents not giving a crap and the city sitting on is @ss.

OK, stop bashing the ghetto, anyways I'm not ashamed of those picture and it be nice to see more action going on in those picture. So why I have picture with people in it and so why y'all don't always put photo with people in it? So is it that what you so feared what other think? Why, because its a run down? I got news for ya, people like to gossip and bash people city so who is a run down now? The person or the city? But the people out side the city and the city communities talk about it but not do more about it and it can be a run down by accusing and talk in away by there bad opinion. People like a few years ago or maybe 10 years ago that people use to say,

OK, stop bashing the ghetto, anyways I'm not ashamed of those picture and it be nice to see more action going on in those picture. So why I have picture with people in it and so why y'all don't always put photo with people in it? So is it that what you so feared what other think? Why, because its a run down? I got news for ya, people like to gossip and bash people city so who is a run down now? The person or the city? But the people out side the city and the city communities talk about it but not do more about it and it can be a run down by accusing and talk in away by there bad opinion. People like a few years ago or maybe 10 years ago that people use to say, “oh the City is the a bad places because they sales drugs.” << well they still do but is ture how the sub and city are now..

And they look at it as if is because of the racial minority and stereotypes but now there saying the sub and city is both bad so what is the difference even the city seems much more worse but how come the suburbs are more likely to get a way with it? Because the sub is pretty secretive because I found out that Newington high school got mess up because they arrested the boy who they say he was going to kill someone with his gun in the public school according today

:blink:

Take a breath, please.

No one is "bashing the ghetto". What people (myself included) are saying is the neighborhoods need help. There are a lot of homes in bad shape, garbage on the streets and things like that. It's a goal of something to improve.

The fist step to fixing a problem is admitting there is one.

No one from Greensboro NC, or Greenville SC, or SantaBarbara CA etc etc would look at those pictures and say "Honey, lets move there and raise a family!" You have to get real. Does that mean all of the city is that way? Of course not, but highlighting the areas that need work give us something to work towards.

As for people in the pics, it's a nice touch. But on the flip side, I hope there is more to the city than thugs on a corner and a Puerto Rican parade. Maybe you can highlight and post some other happening as well.

P.S. I have friends in New Britain (No not on the Southington side - more like Stanely Ave) and had a business on Whiting Street for a while so I know exactly what goes on in that city and how bad it can be. It gets bad chico - believe it.

Yeah, the residents are going to go around fixing and renovating abandoned buildings that do not belong to them because they have all the free time in the world and because they want you "middle class" superior here so badly. Uh huh. Please stay in your farm house, we want intelligent people in Hartford!

Blame the residents? How about blaming all the rich people who now live on acres on former farm land. Blame the state. Why are roads for a couple McMansions maintained better than an urban street in Hartford?

Archived