Great locations to photograph our skyline

cyrusuncc

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hawthorne Bridget is great too, basically the same shot as you have posted, but add in the "corridor" of townhomes and condos on either side of the bridge makes great framing.

Also drive to the end of Jackson Ave -- parallel to Central Ave -- the street ends and you have an unobstructed view.

Oh, and Randolph Road and Wendover...

For closer-in shots - behind the Panthers' practice field on Cedar has a good view and angle, as does the grassy field at the 600 block of E. Morehead - whatever happened to the building proposed for there? (Probably just sitting there letting the market appreciate a bit)

Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep em coming :)

rockhilljames: i went there today during lunch... wow, what a nice view!! i snapped a few pictures and went on my merry way!

Charlottenative: i forgot about Hawthorne Bridge! Big plus is that it i don't mind being there after dark :) Jackson ave is also a choice location.

VitaminN: matheson ave, I was on my way trek from JCSU and saw that view earlier today! too bad it's obstructed by all the power lines. villa heights hill, will have to check that out soon!

nowensone: i'll try that once i get my SLR. I took that one with my point-n-shoot

nmcheese: good ideas for the other side of the skyline :)

DaAchiever: let me know when you get that shot :)

Shawn&Zae: i'll have to check that area out too

moving uptown: is there a good place to setup a tripod out there?

Kit lenses have a bad rap from what I've seen. I bought the camera as body only and spent the extra 100$ on a better lense. Good glass makes a big difference. If you (like me) dont want to eventually upgrade your lenses, make sure to only buy 2.8 (or better) lenses. Canon makes the best lenses (for canon cameras) with their L series, but that is alot of money to shell out. I got a 17-50 for now for the wide angle and will hopefully get a 70-200 when more funds are available. Check out dpreview.com, lots of good info. Hope that helps...

(and yes, Nikons have great reviews as well)

Thank you for the advice and link, given my great heaping amounts of patience, I'll probably be getting something tomorrow and heading to Charlotte Sunday morning to play with the new toy. I've been wanting for some time to take a series of shots with good camera from Independence about 700 to 1000 yards before you merge onto 277 at the slight "hill" in the road, if anyone is in the area, watch out for the guy running around the highway. And thanks for the thread, Cyrus, now I can get yelled at by the wife for the large expenditure. :)

Very nice shot "cyrusuncc". :thumbsup: I used to live in Plaza/Midwood and saw that view all the time. I live in Nashville now, but try to keep up with what's happening over there. I used your photo as my desktop background and have gotten lots of comments. Folks are so surprised when I tell them that it's Charlotte.

Archived