Raleigh: LED City? Green City?

DanRNC

More updates on the Cree/city initiative to make Raleigh an LED City. I knew about the shimmer wall and the U/G parking deck, but didn't know the street lights near the RCC were-LED powered. I know they are planning to use LED streetlights on the Hillsborough Street project as well. The savings they are quoting is pretty impressive, and presents strong argument that life-cycle costs should be carefully addressed on every municipal project.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In addition to the Convention Center lights, Raleigh and Progress Energy are installing LED streetlights near PE's HQ. More exposure for Cree's fixtures.

The study will allow Progress Energy and the city to test the use of LED technology for street lighting. It will help the company and the city evaluate which technologies are most efficient and cost-effective before they make large investments, Progress Energy said in a news release.

• 3 months later...

Looks like the use of LED's keeps expanding. In addition to lighting the sidewalks around the convention center, I'm seeing similar light fixtures elsewhere.

Sunday at Carolina Pines Park, off Lake Wheeler Road in South Raleigh, I noticed that the lights over the roadway into the park appear to be the same LED squares that you see on the sidewalks around the convention center. Just something I noticed and was pretty glad to see. :-)

The new progress energy building awning the just construction on fayetteville street is also using all LED Lighting in the form of the square fixtures, I must admit it is nice. Also the new L building is all LED and looks impressive on the night drive vista drive into the city from Dawson. I flew out of the new terminal (terminal 2) at RDU the weekend and it also is using all LED lights. I like them, there so vibrant as compared to the tradtional kind.

Also to note Xenon (The equilvilent of LED in cars) has become quite popular, before reserved for the Acuras, Mercedes and Lexus' it has now filtered down to Toyota, Nissan, and Honda and gasp!!! even the 2010 ford Taurus.

• 2 weeks later...

^

I saw that as well. Pretty cool stuff IMO. Its also nice to see the city staying ahead of the curve on such things as much as they can. By the time this becomes more mainstream, we will have the experience to deal with it and know what works/ what doesn't, etc.

Archived