Hickory, North Carolina

roundhere

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how to soften this up, so I'll just say in advance that I don't mean any offense to residents of Hickory...

In my personal experience, Hickory is just about the redneck-iest of the towns in Charlotte's sphere of influence. It's the kind of place where you find half the local high school hanging out in a McDonald's parking lot. I dread driving the interstate past Hickory because of all the "The Fast and the Furious" wannabes zipping by at 105mph in their pimped-out '98 Civics with neon trim and extra-bright headlights. I have more than once been stopped at a red light in Hickory next to trucks with wheels so big they are actually taller than the roof of my car. And I've never even bothered to venture into the bad parts of town.

I'm sure that Hickory has some redeeming qualities, but I've never seen them. I avoid the place as much as possible.

I don't know how to soften this up, so I'll just say in advance that I don't mean any offense to residents of Hickory...

In my personal experience, Hickory is just about the redneck-iest of the towns in Charlotte's sphere of influence. It's the kind of place where you find half the local high school hanging out in a McDonald's parking lot. I dread driving the interstate past Hickory because of all the "The Fast and the Furious" wannabes zipping by at 105mph in their pimped-out '98 Civics with neon trim and extra-bright headlights. I have more than once been stopped at a red light in Hickory next to trucks with wheels so big they are actually taller than the roof of my car. And I've never even bothered to venture into the bad parts of town.

I'm sure that Hickory has some redeeming qualities, but I've never seen them. I avoid the place as much as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

My first time discovering this thread!

I was born and raised in Hickory, and left in 1979. The main reason I left is because I wanted to live in a large city with plentiful urban life. I haven't been to Hickory since 1995, and I was there just to buy furniture one day, so I didn't get to see the city at all. Thanks for all the great pics!

The new Wal Mart looks great, and downtown looks awesome. I was a teenager when downtown was re done, and the new car-free elements introduced. Lookin' better and better.:)

However one thing, one of my funniest memories about downtown Hickory was the old Catawba Theatre. It was as small as a theatre could possibly be, and by the early 1970s was showing only X-rated fare. It was very very shabby and derelict, and was a joke around town.:) They tore it down to build a downtown parking lot. If anyone has any, I would absolutely love to see some old pics of downtown Hickory, especially the sleazy Catawba Theatre!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The only thing that bugs me about Hickory is the layout of the roads, like 16th ST NW, 16th ST Place SE, etc. And having streets with the same name broken up in so many pieces. :huh: I guess that's why the people I know native to the area just ignore the street names and go by landmarks when giving directions to visitors. Thank goodness for portable navigation units.

• 4 weeks later...
The only thing that bugs me about Hickory is the layout of the roads, like 16th ST NW, 16th ST Place SE, etc. And having streets with the same name broken up in so many pieces. :huh: I guess that's why the people I know native to the area just ignore the street names and go by landmarks when giving directions to visitors. Thank goodness for portable navigation units.

• 4 weeks later...

MDI, one of the area's largest employers, has announced a $50million + expansion which will also increase total employment by 200.

The company currently employs more than 1,500 workers at the Hickory distribution center. The additional 200 jobs will pay an average annual salary of $51,123, not including benefits, which is greater than the Caldwell County average of $28,184.

Good news in an area that has taken it on the chin with furniture and textiles.

• 1 month later...

The Economic downturn has claimed victim to a Hickory automotive dealership group. Hickory Auto Group closed 12/23 with only a day's notice to employees. The dealerships in Hickory were the Volvo, Porsche, Volkswagen, Caddilac, Lincoln, and Mercury dealerships. There was also a Used car dealership. Customers who had cars in the service bays were directed to call a special number. Liquidation companies have been on site making inventory of the vehicles on hand.

Hickory Record article about Hickory Auto Group Closure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived