Which city will see a new tall office tower first Winston-Salem or Greensboro

TheDash

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winston is more likely to get a tower. To my knowledge, there is a greater worker base already existing in downtown W-S. Even if the vacancy rate is higher, Winston's more significant employment density presents greater opportunities for face-to-face businesses to realize the transactional benefits of being in a downtown.

Again, I point out that what the Triad cities need are not more skyscrapers, but a larger stock of 4-10 story midrise buildings that are mixed use and do not have suburban parking ratios.

Triad Tower remains the dumbest building concept taller than 2 stories that I have heard of in the last several years.

This is the problem with Greensboro, they are to complacent and they have a no can do attitude. They are not big thinkers. All of those projects and companies moving to downtown Winston and you rarely ever hear of any new openings in downtown Greensboro. Just recenlty 5 or 6 retail stores have closed shop in downtown Greensboro and several others have going out of business signs. There are not enough high paying jobs in downtown Greensboro to support many more high priced condos. I think Greensboro needs to foucs on some lower price points and maybe converting old buildings into apartments. Greensboro has a younger crowd that frequents downtown to the bars and clubs and I am sure alot of the people would consider living downtown if it was affordable. My townhome has been on the market for over 3 months now, in the popular Southside Neighborhood, and I have not had any offers. I do think Greensboro needs to foucs on attracting some corporations downtown, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. There may be a few small offices here and there, but I just don't see a need for any more highrise mixed use office space in downtown Greensboro in the next 5 years. I do think Greensboro will continue grow, but it will be suburban growth.

As for Triad Tower, yes Id rather for it to be in downtown Greensboro but a location like this for a tower is pretty common in major metropoltian areas across the country so I dont know if its a dumb idea. Explain why you think its a dumb idea? Just because its tall that doesnt make it dumb.

I do believe Centre Pointe will become the berometer for developers toying with the idea of mixed-use highrise developments. If the remaining units sell very slow, than develepors will stick with lowrise. If they sell pretty fast, developers could proceed with large scale developments.

As for Triad Tower, yes Id rather for it to be in downtown Greensboro but a location like this for a tower is pretty common in major metropoltian areas across the country so I dont know if its a dumb idea. Explain why you think its a dumb idea? Just because its tall that doesnt make it dumb.

I agree that it (Triad Tower) isnt the best planning.

But you Triangle residents dont really have any room to complain. Just look at the horrible planning and sprawl in the Triangle; especially north Raleigh and Cary. Soliel Tower.......University Tower......ring any bells? :whistling:

Why do you care what the Triad does anyways?

I agree that it (Triad Tower) isnt the best planning.

But you Triangle residents dont really have any room to complain. Just look at the horrible planning and sprawl in the Triangle; especially north Raleigh and Cary. Soliel Tower.......University Tower......ring any bells? :whistling:

Why do you care what the Triad does anyways?

If you look, and not too hard, it's easy to find more moderately priced condos in downtown GSO. Of course, the announcement of those won't be as big as Centerpointe or Bellemeade Village, but they are definitely there.

In the News-Record today: Country Club Apartments going condo

Market Street: Former Tuggle Duggins Building

Those are just two of the newer examples within Greensboro's CBD.

This is the problem with Greensboro, they are to complacent and they have a no can do attitude. They are not big thinkers. All of those projects and companies moving to downtown Winston and you rarely ever hear of any new openings in downtown Greensboro. Just recenlty 5 or 6 retail stores have closed shop in downtown Greensboro and several others have going out of business signs. There are not enough high paying jobs in downtown Greensboro to support many more high priced condos. I think Greensboro needs to foucs on some lower price points and maybe converting old buildings into apartments. Greensboro has a younger crowd that frequents downtown to the bars and clubs and I am sure alot of the people would consider living downtown if it was affordable. My townhome has been on the market for over 3 months now, in the popular Southside Neighborhood, and I have not had any offers. I do think Greensboro needs to foucs on attracting some corporations downtown, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. There may be a few small offices here and there, but I just don't see a need for any more highrise mixed use office space in downtown Greensboro in the next 5 years. I do think Greensboro will continue grow, but it will be suburban growth.

Triad Tower wins on stupidity, though, because while Soleil's lower levels being flooded is mostly a threat in terms of life safety to its own residents and guests, the Triad Tower, on a foggy day, would present risks to hundreds more people flying into GSO airport who have no relation to the building.

Oh that's right......you live in the utopia that is Raleigh. Everything in the Triangle is perfect. You are correct.....Soliel Center and University Tower are great planning.......right in the downtowns of their respective cities. Cary is perfect also.....no sprawl whatsoever. Wish we could be just like you Triangle folk. :cry:

Actually I don't live in Raleigh or the Triangle, and never indicated that I did. As for your statements, they are coming from the land of the absurd. The only thing that I pointed out was that neither the Soleil (not Soliel) Center nor University Tower projects met the definition of urban sprawl because they are within the city limits and they were planned developments. The Soleil Center was planned for that specific location to be a regional landmark structure with easy access to the RBC Center because of the 4 Star hotel.

I give up. It's clear that you guys want to cheer for stuff more than actually read the posts about why something is or isn't urban and discuss those merits or lack thereof. Nobody on this thread is holding up Raleigh as a paragon of development, nor is anyone picking on the Triad.

cityboi, I would encourage you to read two books if you are so inclined.

Christopher Alexander's A Pattern Language and

Andres Duany's Suburban Nation.

I have tried and it seems impossible to explain to you why the Triad Tower is so problematic. These folks might do a better job than I.

cityboi - "Vacancy rates and development momentum are indications for where we will see the next office tower built."

office proposals in the greater downtown area...

all of these were announced in the last 8 months.

Edit: Don't post entire articles, and keep excerpts to a minimum. We should know the routine by now.

several of your points im going to have to disagree. The evidence is whats happening now with projects like Center Pointe. Recently Greensboro has developed that can do attitude. Thats why we have a downtown ballpark, Thats why we have Honda Jet. A can do attitude is knowing the downtown can support high-rise mixed-use projects. If cities smaller than Greensboro can do this, Greensboro can do it too. Timing is key though. I do believe Centre Pointe will become the berometer for developers toying with the idea of mixed-use highrise developments. If the remaining units sell very slow, than develepors will stick with lowrise. If they sell pretty fast, developers could proceed with large scale developments.

much of Winston's future work force will be headed to PTRP. Thats where the office growth will be and they are not builfing skyscrapers in PTRP. As for Triad Tower, yes Id rather for it to be in downtown Greensboro but a location like this for a tower is pretty common in major metropoltian areas across the country so I dont know if its a dumb idea. Explain why you think its a dumb idea? Just because its tall that doesnt make it dumb.

The GA Aquarium is amazing...and there is a definite market for attractions like it in non-coastal cities. It had it's one millionth patron well before the first anniversary, which exceeded predictions. I do think that aquariums in general have become old hat. Some cities that built aquariums that were not successful...so it's not a sure draw unless there is some hype to go with it, like the largest something or the first of it's kind.

I totally agree with the critics of Triad Tower. The downtowns of W-S and GSO are working like dogs to create more attractive downtowns for residents, but think of the impact a substantial sized tower like Triad Tower would have on either downtown. It would cause major excitement and would bring further development and basically attract a lot of attention. Building a tower like this one in the burbs will only attract attention away from downtown, but I don't see it causing a huge amount of harm to future development in either city. It's merits for downtown W-S or GSO would be great, but the negatives it causes will probably be minimal.

Unfortunately, developers will build wherever it makes the most sense and normally won't consider what is best for the city. Profitability is the main objective...

Archived