Griffin Plaza

Lukin

It's hard to not like this one. It has all the elements (or most of them) that our city needs. It has room for retail, it is a rental residential building, it works well with existing buildings and the facade has character and appeal. This was well planned and designed.

These are the type of projects that will make the downtown area more livable and interesting. For every high rise, there should be twenty of these 5 to 10 story buildings to provide the infill and density a downtown needs to function on its own.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to not like this one. It has all the elements (or most of them) that our city needs. It has room for retail, it is a rental residential building, it works well with existing buildings and the facade has character and appeal. This was well planned and designed.

These are the type of projects that will make the downtown area more livable and interesting. For every high rise, there should be twenty of these 5 to 10 story buildings to provide the infill and density a downtown needs to function on its own.

It is very hard not to like this one. Developments like these not only add density, but yet another focal point for each area of town. I like how it is different, yet still incorporates what many of the buildings in Nashville look like. Can't wait to see the tenants revealed.

^ Couldn't agree more. This is a very exciting development. Well thought out. It's definitely bigger and different looking than I had imagined. I know that alley to the right of the 2nd historic house has been closed during demo, but I didn't relize it was actually a part of the project... as in, I guess it's closed for good. This will be a huge project it looks like... will pretty much dwarf our little Laurel House, hah (as seen in the lower left corner).

I am wondering... how are they going to do 5 level subsurface parking, without affecting those historic houses? I am sure it's been done before... I just can't imagine how... it will be interesting to watch, thats for sure.

For reference,here's looking up Laurel Street to the west. The building will fit in the vacant lot on the left.

suntrust051-1.jpg

Glad to see the quaint little house on the corner being preserved.

Now if the City would follow my suggestion regarding turning Laurel Street into a park, as in this street in Chattanooga.

suntrust036.jpg

WOW! That is a really good map!!!

There are a few aspects of it that are not quite right though. The map shows the Eakin block (and the block to the right) being split by a new street that runs parallel with 12th Avenue. It also shows Griffin Plaza on the wrong side of 12th Avenue. I think this master plan was a conceptual plan done years ago byt the master developer. Although some aspects have been implemented (the new road next to Station Inn) not everything has or will for a variety of reasons.

I finally got the chance to drive through the Gulch today since I have always had trouble visualizing where everything is or will be. I was so busy looking around out my car windows that I almost drove right through a road closed sign that was there for work being done by the ICON that had the road closed. Anyways, it will be a great place once these projects all get done and that map also shows how much more room there is behind ICON that will be able to be developed in the future.

Also, we haven't heard anything about the lot that is to the left of the velocity sales office that would be on the side of the demonbreun st bridge have we?

I had a chance to briefly speak to someone with Crosland last week. The Griffin Plaza will most likely break ground on the 15th. I did comment that I expect there would be major news about the retail coming to the Gulch in the coming year and was told I probably would not be disappointed and that there more than likely will be some major announcements. The Sliver building is most likely dead as they said it was on indefinite hold. That will be a hard lot to develop. I do think we will see some exciting things happen now that there will be people living in the Gulch. That was the one thing that was keeping some retailers away IMO.

Also confirmed was the tower Novare has planned in the north Gulch.

I had a chance to briefly speak to someone with Crosland last week. The Griffin Plaza will most likely break ground on the 15th. I did comment that I expect there would be major news about the retail coming to the Gulch in the coming year and was told I probably would not be disappointed and that there more than likely will be some major announcements. The Sliver building is most likely dead as they said it was on indefinite hold. That will be a hard lot to develop. I do think we will see some exciting things happen now that there will be people living in the Gulch. That was the one thing that was keeping some retailers away IMO.

Also confirmed was the tower Novare has planned in the north Gulch.

That's amazing how quickly the Grinfin Plaza project has come together. I think that one will be one the premier projects in the Gulch. Any idea when to expect an announcement from Novarre? I'm real anxious to hear about that one.

When I spoke to the Novare people a couple of weeks ago, it was still in the planning stages for 5 towers and the largest being 19 stories, but that is so far off it is not even on Norvares radar untill Encore is finished and plans for the other Encore lot are nailed down.

I spoke to someone who worked at the Labor Ready property and the owner makes $3400 a month from the property just doing nothing. He refuses to sell. This is not the Labor Ready people, it is the guy they LEASE FROM is sitting somewhere collecting $3400 a month.

Too bad Sliver is on hold. When I talked to Bill Barkley about it he said it would only be 6-7 floors. Someone, can't recall who said the residential units would be 1 per floor so you get the full panoramic view. The lot is just too small to do much else.

Or maybe they could get Madame X to come back. :blink:

Are any of y'all going to the ground breaking on the 15th for Griffin? I got an invitation, but tossed it...I think it was noon thing.

Too bad Sliver is on hold. When I talked to Bill Barkley about it he said it would only be 6-7 floors. Someone, can't recall who said the residential units would be 1 per floor so you get the full panoramic view. The lot is just too small to do much else.

Or maybe they could get Madame X to come back. :blink:

Are any of y'all going to the ground breaking on the 15th for Griffin? I got an invitation, but tossed it...I think it was noon thing.

A article from today's city paper. The cost for the Griffin building is $35 million. And the 16 story (Silver) condo is still planned for the area. :D Link:Nashville City Paper

I would find it hard to believe that with the momentum in the Gulch that they would just sit on the property. I suspect something will be errected on site if not the skinny tower.

As for the Griffen building, I would have guessed the project would cost more.

I would find it hard to believe that with the momentum in the Gulch that they would just sit on the property. I suspect something will be errected on site if not the skinny tower.

As for the Griffen building, I would have guessed the project would cost more.

$35,000,000 for a 182,000 SqFt project works out to $192 / Sq Ft construction costs. That sounds in line to me. I noticed from the article that Griffin Plaza is 150 rental apartments. That's great for the Gulch, IMO. The area seems to be getting a great mix of rental apartments and condos at just about every price point. Things seem to be falling into place. Right now, I'd have to say that the Gulch has more momentum going than in any other area of Nashville.

Archived