Griffin Plaza

Lukin

I hadn't thought about it, but you're right. The yellow crane is at Terrazzo, as you can see in Hankster's photo in which it has an orange tint. I really thought that yellow crane was at the Icon site.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/Han...le/P8040390.jpg

So is the Griffin site visible in that photo? I would think it's out of the frame to the right.

Then there will be the Velocity which will be in front of the Icon. And (I guess out of frame a tad further to the right than Griffin) will be the twin tower Eakin project. I suppose from that angle, the gulch will have an emerging skyline in a couple of years. Don't forget that the Roundabout hotel project will also be a block to the west from there.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hadn't thought about it, but you're right. The yellow crane is at Terrazzo, as you can see in Hankster's photo in which it has an orange tint. I really thought that yellow crane was at the Icon site.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/Han...le/P8040390.jpg

So is the Griffin site visible in that photo? I would think it's out of the frame to the right.

Then there will be the Velocity which will be in front of the Icon. And (I guess out of frame a tad further to the right than Griffin) will be the twin tower Eakin project. I suppose from that angle, the gulch will have an emerging skyline in a couple of years. Don't forget that the Roundabout hotel project will also be a block to the west from there.

Griffin Plaza would be about one block directly behind me from where I took that picture. This pic should show what I mean.

P8040388.jpg

• 2 months later...

Some activity on the site. Not too sure what they've been doing, though. Brought in a bulldozer for a few days, and now they've taken it away again. I also saw some guys standing around a few days ago. And they've (once again) closed off the little alleyway on the south side of the historic buildings, or at least the side that opens to the huge parking lot. Oh and a couple weeks ago they were drilling yet again as well.

i have such a hard time these days believing that any project will actually happen without major hang-ups, debate and delays. Can we assume this is going to rise as planned?

I would think this one has less hurdles to cross since it is an apartment project. There are no condo presales necessary. The Gulch is "hot" so, it wouldn't surprise me if it moves forward pretty soon.

Our apt building (Laurel House) did 'inspections' today (for what exactly, I dunno). These were pre-inspections before they start blasting the ground for the building going up behind us - which would be Griffin Plaza.

It sounds pretty much like you answered your own question. Before you start blasting a site, you always visit all the surrounding structures to take photographs and document their condition. This is to CYA if someone pops up and claims your blasting cracked their walls. So naturally those inspectors are looking for every existing crack they can find.

I can't say for sure which one they were referring to. But I assumed Griffin Plaza, since the letter said 'new building behind us'. I guess it depends on what the apt manager's interpretation of 'behind us' is.

I drove by the site this morning and it appears as if there were some semi fresh drill holes that have been drilled through the concrete foundation still present. I susspect it was probably for Griffin Plaza.

Also, Velocity had an excavator removnig a mound and a bulldozer for leveling, working on site this morning.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

According to an article in the Tennessean, Griffin Plaza may take longer than expected but possibly be larger than previously planned.

I hope this gets underway this year. These apartments will be great for the Gulch and I love the design.

This is good news.. the Wehby plumbing property is now included in the project, which means an extra 100 apartments and extra 13,000 sq ft of retail!

Wonder if they will keep the existing building at Wehby? Not sure what kinda shape its in..

Hopefully they keep the Griffin Plaza design basically the same, I think it looks great and is extremely unique.

This is good news.. the Wehby plumbing property is now included in the project, which means an extra 100 apartments and extra 13,000 sq ft of retail!

Wonder if they will keep the existing building at Wehby? Not sure what kinda shape its in..

Hopefully they keep the Griffin Plaza design basically the same, I think it looks great and is extremely unique.

That works out to about a 60% expansion from the original 10 story proposal. This project could end up being something like 16 stories. I wish it was getting started soon as was supposed to be the case, but the wait may well be worth it. I agree with you, about keeping the basic design the same. I really like the design on the rendering.

griffin_plaza_rendering.jpg

That works out to about a 60% expansion from the original 10 story proposal. This project could end up being something like 16 stories. I wish it was getting started soon as was supposed to be the case, but the wait may well be worth it. I agree with you, about keeping the basic design the same. I really like the design on the rendering.

I suspect the height may not change a whole lot, assuming they stick with a similar design... because the Wehby property will increase the footprint by a decent amount. The new plans will stretch down the whole block between Laurel & Pine, on 12th.

I read the article so fast that I missed the last part. I knew the Griffin was delayed in part to Crosland buying Wehby, but had no idea that it would increase in size by that amount. Certainly good news.

Even with the economy the Gulch continues to flourish and grow. I see more of this for the future as well.

I suspect the height may not change a whole lot, assuming they stick with a similar design... because the Wehby property will increase the footprint by a decent amount. The new plans will stretch down the whole block between Laurel & Pine, on 12th.

That sounds reasonable. I love the current design. If it turns out to be just stretched out version of the design, I'd be quite happy.

• 2 months later...

Didnt you know its under construction and is due to be finished next year according to the Crosland Website in the below link. A quote "Currently under construction; the project will be completed in 2009" :rofl: The developers in Nashville need to get their act together and update all of the websites they run.

http://griffinplaza.com/about_griffin_plaza/

Didnt you know its under construction and is due to be finished next year according to the Crosland Website in the below link. A quote "Currently under construction; the project will be completed in 2009" :rofl: The developers in Nashville need to get their act together and update all of the websites they run.

http://griffinplaza.com/about_griffin_plaza/

Simply amazing. Why have a website at all, if it's completely wrong.

Friends,

I met briefly yesterday with a person involved with the Griffin Plaza project. He said Crosland intends to start by the end of the year.

And, yes, JGarrison is correct. Crosland held a groundbreaking about one year ago (I was there and it was HOT). Then-Mayor Bill Purcell wanted to gush about how great The Gulch was (under his watch, no less), so Crosland likely bowed to Purcell and held the ceremony -- not certain actual dirt-moving would happen soon thereafter.

I predict that from this point forward, we will not be seeing anymore "groundbreaking" ceremonies for large projects UNLESS actual physical work is underway.

On a positive note, Crosland is working with Hastings and Zeitlin for design work so expect a killer design. I still remain optimistic Griffin Plaza will materialize. The Crosland people are honorable folks. They are determined to do this development.

ESU/WW

Archived