Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

suburban george3

Carnegie Libraries

20 posts in this topic

I thought this would be a good new posting in this forum...

Lavonia, Georgia (still in use)

P2140142.jpg

P2140143.jpg

P2140144.jpg

Winston-Salem, NC (now the Lady of Fatima Catholic Church)

PC300029.jpg

I don't have any pictures but the one in Savannah, GA was rehabbed about 5 years ago.

There are several good books about the Carnegie Libraries. Do a search at Amazon and a couple pop up.

There are still a bunch in Pittsburgh. All of the city's public libraries are Carnegie.

The main branch:

03.jpg

A couple other branches:

Alleghenyfront.JPG

location.jpg

I don't think that Squirrel Hill one is an "original Carnegie"... which were built from like 1890-1920 or so... but it is part of Pittsburgh's "Carnegie System of Libraries". I think Pittsburgh has like 9 original Carnegies... and then there's the original original Carnegie (domestically) in Braddock.

Bemidji has a Carnegie Library dating to the early 1900s, but I can't for the life of me find a picture of it anywhere. I'll have to try and take a picture of it sometime.

It hasn't served as the library in a long time. Another building was used for some time until the mid '90s when they built a new library.

The Carnegie library now serves as the Bemidji Community Art center, which serves a hub for arts exhibits throughout the city.

There's one in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. It could be the only one in Arkansas as far as I know. I've got some pics of it I took last year. But they're not on my hard drive.

the first one is georgia is really nice, thanks for the photos.

I don't think that Squirrel Hill one is an "original Carnegie"... which were built from like 1890-1920 or so... but it is part of Pittsburgh's "Carnegie System of Libraries". I think Pittsburgh has like 9 original Carnegies... and then there's the original original Carnegie (domestically) in Braddock.

Traverse City, MI No longer used as a library, as of 1999, but still a beautiful little building.

6thSt.jpg

There's one in Ann Arbor attached to a larger school that is under demolition for a large dormitory for the University of Michigan. However, they are saving the Carnegie and integrating it into the new project!

Dug out my old pics of the Carnegie in Eureka Springs.

carnegielibraryeurekaspsn2.jpg

carnegielibraryeurekaspkj2.jpg

carnegielibraryeurekaspuh9.jpg

Yes! There are at least 3 in the Colorado Springs area, two of which I have photos of. I'll post tonight!

This Carnegie was fully restored in recent years and is part of The Penrose Public Library in Downtown Colorado Springs.

4Photobucket20.jpg

This one is on Colorado Springs west side in the Old Colorado City Historic District.

OldCC1003.jpg

There is also at least one more in the area, in Manitou Springs just west of Colorado Springs.

Detroit has 9 Carnegie Libraries. Unfortunately I can't find a full list, but here's what I have:

Bowen Branch Library - 3648 W. Vernor (1912)

Butzel Branch Library - East Side (Demolished 1998)

Conley Branch Library - 4600 Martin (1913); fully restored in 2000-2001

Duffield Branch Library - 2507 W. Grand Blvd. (1916)

Ginsburg Branch Library - 91 Brewster (Closed in 1932)

Lothrop Branch Library - W. Grand Blvd. & Warren (Closed)

Utley Branch Library - 8726 Woodward; Nolonger a Detroit Public Library

In addition, the Hosmer Branch Library at Gratiot Ave & Pulford (Closed), may have been a Carnegie library. The same goes for the Campbell Branch Library on W. Fort & Waterman (Demolished).

Lansing's Carnegie Library on the campus of Lansing Community College in downtown:

398433180_eb4e19fb24_o.jpg

Originally connected to Lansing's old central high school, the structure was almost demolished with the recent demolition of the old central high school which was incorporated into Lansing Community College's campus. Fortunately, it was saved, and is currently becoming part of the University Center:

8_1.jpg

Union, SC

Still in use as a library with a new addition on the back. (sorry for the quality, bad weather and a cell phone pic)

unionsccarnlibr.jpg

Montgomery, AL - Built in 1902, now the county appraisal office. There were 14 Carnegie libraries in Alabama, but I'm not sure how many are left.

Carnegie_0002.jpg

Carnegie_0003.jpg

Carnegie_0005.jpg

Four columns from the Carnegie Library that once stood in downtown Little Rock. Little Rock is on the second library since the Carnegie was demolished. These columns were erected between the Library and the Library parking lot.

p1040368.jpg

p1040361.jpg