Carnegie Libraries

suburban george3

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that Squirrel Hill one is an "original Carnegie"... which were built from like 1890-1920 or so... but it is part of Pittsburgh's "Carnegie System of Libraries". I think Pittsburgh has like 9 original Carnegies... and then there's the original original Carnegie (domestically) in Braddock.

Bemidji has a Carnegie Library dating to the early 1900s, but I can't for the life of me find a picture of it anywhere. I'll have to try and take a picture of it sometime.

It hasn't served as the library in a long time. Another building was used for some time until the mid '90s when they built a new library.

The Carnegie library now serves as the Bemidji Community Art center, which serves a hub for arts exhibits throughout the city.

I don't think that Squirrel Hill one is an "original Carnegie"... which were built from like 1890-1920 or so... but it is part of Pittsburgh's "Carnegie System of Libraries". I think Pittsburgh has like 9 original Carnegies... and then there's the original original Carnegie (domestically) in Braddock.

• 3 weeks later...

This Carnegie was fully restored in recent years and is part of The Penrose Public Library in Downtown Colorado Springs.

4Photobucket20.jpg

This one is on Colorado Springs west side in the Old Colorado City Historic District.

OldCC1003.jpg

There is also at least one more in the area, in Manitou Springs just west of Colorado Springs.

• 2 months later...

Detroit has 9 Carnegie Libraries. Unfortunately I can't find a full list, but here's what I have:

Bowen Branch Library - 3648 W. Vernor (1912)

Butzel Branch Library - East Side (Demolished 1998)

Conley Branch Library - 4600 Martin (1913); fully restored in 2000-2001

Duffield Branch Library - 2507 W. Grand Blvd. (1916)

Ginsburg Branch Library - 91 Brewster (Closed in 1932)

Lothrop Branch Library - W. Grand Blvd. & Warren (Closed)

Utley Branch Library - 8726 Woodward; Nolonger a Detroit Public Library

In addition, the Hosmer Branch Library at Gratiot Ave & Pulford (Closed), may have been a Carnegie library. The same goes for the Campbell Branch Library on W. Fort & Waterman (Demolished).

Lansing's Carnegie Library on the campus of Lansing Community College in downtown:

398433180_eb4e19fb24_o.jpg

Originally connected to Lansing's old central high school, the structure was almost demolished with the recent demolition of the old central high school which was incorporated into Lansing Community College's campus. Fortunately, it was saved, and is currently becoming part of the University Center:

8_1.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived